Return to “General”

Almost 6 years later?

After 5 years of development don't you think its time to tie up the lose ends and just release the game. im sure the 187k that josh received during the kick starter is now coming to an end and by keeping it in development any longer now will mean that he will be losing money rather quickly.

release the game before you regret it.
Re: Almost 6 years later?

Um, have you been keeping track of what's been going on over the past 5 months? Josh has assembled a team in order to get LT shipped before the end of 2019. I think he's making good progress towards that goal, and I'm a bit shocked that you can't see that progress.

If you would like to make a formal complaint, please alphabetically list out every problem with the current development cycle and we will attempt to get back to you in a timely manner. Thank you for your time and have a pleasant day. Goodbye!

Let's be nice, BFett.

Mobius: The game isn't currently in a playable state, but it is rapidly proceeding in that direction. (Faster than it ever has before, even!) Josh is very rapidly working towards a release, but it will be out "when it's done" - and not a moment sooner if we can help it. :) Better to release a wonderful game late than a terrible game early.

It's closer to five years, by the way. :ghost:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Nonsense, you shouldn't start from when the forum was created. The real work begins upon completion of the Kickstarter. That's when you know whether it's a sure thing. Thus, end of December 2012 - today: roughly five years, four months and nine days, thus closer to five. :D :ghost: Yes, this is a derail of sorts.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:54 pm
Nonsense, you shouldn't start from when the forum was created. The real work begins upon completion of the Kickstarter. That's when you know whether it's a sure thing. Thus, end of December 2012 - today: roughly five years, four months and nine days, thus closer to five. :D :ghost: Yes, this is a derail of sorts.
No, no. Projects start from the time someone puts something down on paper, so take the earliest written accounts of
Limit Theory.

To my knowledge the public date for that is the forums creation date.

Thus closer to 6 years.

:ghost: (Derails :train:)
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Mobius wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:17 pm
After 5 years of development don't you think its time to tie up the lose ends and just release the game. im sure the 187k that josh received during the kick starter is now coming to an end and by keeping it in development any longer now will mean that he will be losing money rather quickly.

Mobius, while I totally understand the frustration of waiting so long, I have to say that LT's future has never looked brighter. How they're paying bills, no idea, I personally think they have received additional funding beyond the KS money, and my only fear there is that the money comes with some serious strings attached.

However, development has been progressing rapidly in the past few months, and I wouldn't be surprised to see beta sometime this summer, but also not that surprised if it's a bit later, either way, I think there will be a playable, largely complete game this year.

We've waited for so long, a little bit longer shouldn't be too much harder. If you are so inclined, perhaps set up a reminder for a month or two from now to come back and check on the state of the game, and then do other things in life, because it will be a total life sink once it's released :)
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Mobius wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:17 pm
I didn't know the Godfather was following LT development.

It's done when it's done. I'm on the more extreme side of "I'd rather see LT released perfect in 10 years than shitty in 1". While I do feel the pain of waiting (When LT?), I also want LT and not some piece of shit with its name. :V
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Damocles wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:57 pm
At least Josh is working now on some actual gameplay content with the economy, and not the 10th iteration on how to speed up technical details...
To be entirely fair, without a good underlying technical base, there is no way the gameplay can be fast enough to do everything that Limit Theory wants to do.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

To be fair, LT has been “getting close! Faster than ever!” stage for the last 4 years.

I’m also surprised how the project turned into a full team project, like someone above has stated, funds must have been injected from somewhere. Impossible original KS funds are still a thing.

I actually almost forgot about this project to be honest. Glad it’s still going.
My Signature

Silverware wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 2:09 am
Damocles wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:57 pm
At least Josh is working now on some actual gameplay content with the economy, and not the 10th iteration on how to speed up technical details...
To be entirely fair, without a good underlying technical base, there is no way the gameplay can be fast enough to do everything that Limit Theory wants to do.
Large parts of the gameplay LOGIC can be developed and tested in testbeds before the final engine is even ready.

For example the simulation of the economy, where a (2d) testbed with special debug-graphs is actually needed to have an efficient environment to iterate on it. (A first person ship view is impractical here)
That can be developed even in a different language if need-be. The important output is how the logic works (not the concrete implementation), and how the balancing is set to make it interesting and stable.
Other such systems would be crafting, research, universe map-structure etc, UI layout structure. There is no need for those testbeds to run perfomant.

Once the logic seems to work fine, one also has a good understanding of how that concrete logic can be implemented best into the final version without optimizing at the wrong ends.
And most importantly: if something turns out to be not fun or end in complexity hell, there is still time to change plans and rethink, before even implementing it into the final engine.

Starting with concrete simulations of essential gameplay systems only after the underlying engine is done seems a bit late...
(Its not like this is a clone or iteration on a previously well proven game)

Online Now