Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory Fan Contest - Discussion

Zennofska wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:44 pm
Nice Work :D

So I guess we can count on you for creating ship mods when LT is released, eh?
Depends how I get on with the ship design tools, but it would be cool to fly around with some of the ships I've been spamming in the LTFC :twisted:
thesleeve wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:36 am
HowSerendipitous wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:21 pm
I'm building ships again..... :twisted:
Well played! :thumbup: I've always liked the split-bow look for big space ships. Dunno why exactly, just do.
Best place to put a huge spinally mounted weapon :twisted:

Der_Foe wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:04 am
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:46 am
Good place, but maybe not the best :ghost:
Yo moms order arrived. 8-)
1. @Der_Foe: Sprayed my coffee on my keyboard. Well almost, it was perilously close.

2. So I did this video for my company using the 360 feature that Arnold adds to cameras in Maya. When you play it you can pan around the scene as you move through a stylized (see: low-poly) environment, it turned out pretty sweet (it got my own inner :monkey: going) and I'm thinking of using it (the 360 feature, not the thing I did for work) for the next LTFC. I'm not sure if I can do motion (it was super expensive as far as processing goes) but stills are pretty cool.

If you're interested (for reference if you don't know what I'm talking about...also a shameless plug :ghost:, it's what I do, I love it):
Motion: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... CR7DOTPgKc[/youtube]
Still: (this one was fun too. There's some motion, but it was after the fact, ugh, just pause it. It's actually even relevant to LT's errr, spacy-ness) [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... hF7cGcb0IU

[/youtube]

I like the cool possibilities this opens up!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Col. Lewis B. Puller, USMC

thesleeve wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:56 pm
:wtf:

[face-palm] Sigh.

[shuffles away muttering, "I knew I shoulda just hit URL..."]
you dont put the whole URL in the [youtube] tag but just the code after ?v=
blame tal :ghost:
Der_Foe wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:04 am
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:46 am
Good place, but maybe not the best :ghost:
Yo moms order arrived. 8-)
:lol:

I've been struggling with trying to decide whether I should continue this, or postpone it until we see some more forum activity (e.g. closer to/during beta).

On one hand, I like giving people the opportunity to make things for the contest. :P On the other hand, entrants have been few lately, as previously stated, and keeping up with the judging is... pretty difficult. I only found out this morning that I had not, in fact, sent the judging sheets to the other judges as I thought - which is odd, because I distinctly remember sending them. :| But they haven't received them, apparently, so I'll have to resend them now. There are pros and cons to continuing, and I've not quite been able to make up my mind.

The next LTFC would have been "Capital ships"... :lol: Although I think HowSerendipitous has a significant advantage now, having already started :P I was originally planning on starting it back at the start of March, but some things came up at first, and then I started having second thoughts about it because of how quiet the forums have gotten without Josh making devlogs (which I am trying hard to rectify, by the way! I am doing much poking and prodding!)

So, what do you guys think? Should I start it up, and stop feeling quite so guilty over the slipping judging schedules? And if I do - I want it to be on a subject everyone can enjoy and we'll get lots of entries for, so... thoughts on that?

(side note: I probably need to move REKT to be a little bit more of a side project so I have more time for other things.)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:29 am
I've been struggling with trying to decide whether I should continue this, or postpone it until we see some more forum activity (e.g. closer to/during beta).
This is a valid question, as it is quite quiet around nowadays.

For me, the LTFC has two components:
  • Firstly, the "external" (i.e. not self-given) topic and deadline is a motivation to actually think a bit outside the usual flow and stop procrastinating and get an output. This also guarentee a certain exposition (there will be people looking at my stuff, it's not just hanging in my private room). It also allows to compare with other work and learn by watching/asking.
    This is important (for me) as otherwise, I keep refining models, or testing stuff, but usually do not work towards a definitive end-product.
  • Secondly, the judging gives very valuable feedback (the rank and prizes are for me not very important).

I guess the second point is the one which is difficult to realize without a formal competition and that has the most work to find and motivate judges; but the first point could be realised without much workload: as you said simply: next topic is capital ships. Let's put a (generous) deadline like end of April and the game is running, no promise that there will be any judging or feedback. This is basically opening one new sticked thread every 1-3 months and archiving the older one at the same time.

Theoretically, it could be done almost self-organised in a common thread, but for getting exposition the community manager badge is certainly helping!
And if the ideas run dry for the topics, we can make a team brainstorm to get a list and revisit older topics (would also be funny, btw).

So the TLDR:
Until activity picks up again: Make a bi-monthly new thread with a topic and archive it afterwards; no judging but feedback welcome in the discussion thread.
And if there is no entry during one period, it's not dramatic, the next topic may motivate more people again.

CSE wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:07 am
Talvieno wrote:
This is a valid question, as it is quite quiet around nowadays.

For me, the LTFC has two components:
  • Firstly, the "external" (i.e. not self-given) topic and deadline is a motivation to actually think a bit outside the usual flow and stop procrastinating and get an output. This also guarentee a certain exposition (there will be people looking at my stuff, it's not just hanging in my private room). It also allows to compare with other work and learn by watching/asking.
    This is important (for me) as otherwise, I keep refining models, or testing stuff, but usually do not work towards a definitive end-product.
  • Secondly, the judging gives very valuable feedback (the rank and prizes are for me not very important).

I guess the second point is the one which is difficult to realize without a formal competition and that has the most work to find and motivate judges; but the first point could be realised without much workload: as you said simply: next topic is capital ships. Let's put a (generous) deadline like end of April and the game is running, no promise that there will be any judging or feedback. This is basically opening one new sticked thread every 1-3 months and archiving the older one at the same time.

Theoretically, it could be done almost self-organised in a common thread, but for getting exposition the community manager badge is certainly helping!
And if the ideas run dry for the topics, we can make a team brainstorm to get a list and revisit older topics (would also be funny, btw).

So the TLDR:
Until activity picks up again: Make a bi-monthly new thread with a topic and archive it afterwards; no judging but feedback welcome in the discussion thread.
And if there is no entry during one period, it's not dramatic, the next topic may motivate more people again.
What he said :twisted:

Talvieno wrote:
I only found out this morning that I had not, in fact, sent the judging sheets to the other judges as I thought - which is odd, because I distinctly remember sending them. :| But they haven't received them, apparently, so I'll have to resend them now.
Ah yeah, you didn't. Though tbf I didn't have much time until last week anyway (busy annoying banks and stuff :D ).
I +1 CSE's idea of turning it into a "Monthly art subject" topic instead of a contest, for now (at the very least until we're done judging what we have now - July/August, October, and January).
Talvieno wrote:
(side note: I probably need to move REKT to be a little bit more of a side project so I have more time for other things.)
Maybe extend the posting deadline by an extra day or so? Some of use seem to have trouble posting within the current one :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

This makes sense, CSE - well said. :) I'd quite happy with that - at least until activity picks up again. I'll start a new thread right now.

Dino: Yeah, I'm still not entirely sure what happened with the PM. Maybe I timed out, it didn't send, but I closed it without reading any error messages, thinking it had sent. That seems the most likely explanation. This current REKT post has taken a bit longer because of new artyness for the interior of the nacelle (edit: and grav plant), but I think I have it mostly laid out now.

snippet
Spoiler:      SHOW
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now