Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Josh] Thursday, January 18, 2018

I'm glad that was resolved peacefully and in what appeared to be good spirits. :) To Victor: Limit Theory probably won't be your original Freelancer experience by default; Josh is also, as you know, a big fan of EVE, which is a game you would never find interesting. That said, I'm sure that if nothing else, someone will create a mod that will make it much more like Freelancer. ;) (And that "someone" may happen to be me, if I find the time for it.)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

A Freelancer-ification of LT would be impressive, but what would truly blow my mind, and convert LT into something previously unseen, would be a mod that grafts a 4X game (think Master of Orion, Galactic Civilizations, or more recently the Endless series) on top of LT, by extending existing mechanics for Planets, Factions and so forth. Imagine seamlessly going from the galaxy map to planet management to fleet design to a single space battle, all within the same grand scope of running an empire. It would be something to leverage all this capacity for huge space battles, if nothing else.

I don't have the necessary intelligence, drive, or experience -- nor, unfortunately, the time -- to put in the work for this sort of thing but I think I will be tinkering with the engine with this in mind when the game comes out.

alpan wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:36 am
A Freelancer-ification of LT would be impressive, but what would truly blow my mind, and convert LT into something previously unseen, would be a mod that grafts a 4X game (think Master of Orion, Galactic Civilizations, or more recently the Endless series) on top of LT, by extending existing mechanics for Planets, Factions and so forth. Imagine seamlessly going from the galaxy map to planet management to fleet design to a single space battle, all within the same grand scope of running an empire. It would be something to leverage all this capacity for huge space battles, if nothing else.

I don't have the necessary intelligence, drive, or experience -- nor, unfortunately, the time -- to put in the work for this sort of thing but I think I will be tinkering with the engine with this in mind when the game comes out.
Something like this is exactly what I'm expecting from the Colonies and Factions Expansions. For them to be true "Expansions" in the Pre-DLC era sense of the word, adding plenty of new game mechanics for colony design and management, inter and intra-faction politics. But unlike the Pre-DLC sense of an expansion, these will be in the LT Mod format, and thus can be dissected and be enjoyed a la carte, and the components can be substituted with, or added upon by community made mods. I can assure you that upon release of 1.0, implementing my colonies idea will be one of my top priorities.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Talvieno wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:03 am
I'm glad that was resolved peacefully and in what appeared to be good spirits. :) To Victor: Limit Theory probably won't be your original Freelancer experience by default; Josh is also, as you know, a big fan of EVE, which is a game you would never find interesting. That said, I'm sure that if nothing else, someone will create a mod that will make it much more like Freelancer. ;) (And that "someone" may happen to be me, if I find the time for it.)
Indeed, but ideally we would like to have the best of both: Freelancer had such beauty in simplicity and approachability. You hopped in, flew around, shot stuff, traded, and it was fun. It wasn't 'sustainable' fun: you learned the best trade routes, acquired a few of the unique turrets & a Titan from the good old Corsairs, felt like a god, then either modded it or left it until you were ready to come back for a fresh run. EVE takes at least a few months to start having 'fun' with :P But it does have the sustainability & dynamism in gameplay depth to keep you there for years if you're willing to put in the (considerable) effort required to get to that point. Of course it's made more difficult by the fact that it's MP and progression necessarily can't be as quick as in FL.

The question LT is asking: why can't we have both? Approachable, fun feeling, with deep mechanics that are there for you when you're ready to go deeper, but that don't stop you from playing the game while you're still just skimming the surface.

I'm not a fan of EVE's lack of approachability, nor am I a fan of how heartbreaking Freelancer is once you reach the 'end.' Thus, we have LT :squirrel:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:08 pm
Indeed, but ideally we would like to have the best of both: Freelancer had such beauty in simplicity and approachability. You hopped in, flew around, shot stuff, traded, and it was fun. It wasn't 'sustainable' fun: you learned the best trade routes, acquired a few of the unique turrets & a Titan from the good old Corsairs, felt like a god, then either modded it or left it until you were ready to come back for a fresh run. EVE takes at least a few months to start having 'fun' with But it does have the sustainability & dynamism in gameplay depth to keep you there for years if you're willing to put in the (considerable) effort required to get to that point. Of course it's made more difficult by the fact that it's MP and progression necessarily can't be as quick as in FL.

The question LT is asking: why can't we have both? Approachable, fun feeling, with deep mechanics that are there for you when you're ready to go deeper, but that don't stop you from playing the game while you're still just skimming the surface.

I'm not a fan of EVE's lack of approachability, nor am I a fan of how heartbreaking Freelancer is once you reach the 'end.' Thus, we have LT
Yes, I'm still in the simplicity camp, Josh, but with the necessary "fixes" to improve on and extend what was possible in Freelancer. I've never considered Freelancer to be lightweight, just flawed. The concept was inspiring, at least it was for me.
Talvieno wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:10 pm
This is referring at least partly to a recent discussion on the forum about a "story mod" for Limit Theory. That's part of what Victor means by making it more like Freelancer. He wants a Juni character. And everything else that goes with it.
And thank you for understanding the discussions I've had here and in IRC, Nathan. :thumbup: :D :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:15 pm
Flatfingers wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:57 pm
As always, I'm happy to see any new info whenever it feels like the right time to reveal it.
Hmm...your post was going so well until you added this, Flat. It reads like a "get out of jail free" card to me. Josh needs to be cornered and interrogated.

We want answers from him! ;)

In my day job I get paid to make programmers go faster.

No one's paying me here. :D

alpan wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:36 am

This is a strong interest of mine. That's not a guarantee of anything, but I am willing to say that if I do discover the ability to grok LT code and the time to implement a serious project, this is probably one of the two areas where that might happen.

(Which of course is not to say someone else can't/won't do it faster and better than I would. Just saying this is also one of my LT modding interests, and if no one else pokes at it, I might.)

Baile nam Fonn wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:37 am
Slymodi wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:55 pm
good to see people still remember me
Forget Slymodi? Absurd.
;)
Indeed, the nerve to suggest such a thing...
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now