Return to “Announcements”

Re: Limit Theory @ PAX South 2018 Recap

LindseyReid wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:22 pm
Secondly, the FULL ship customizer will be much more powerful than this. As per Josh's promises, you'll be able to size and place ship parts individually, which means fewer sliders and more mouse control. I agree that the demo ship customizer was not optimal in terms of UI/UX, so definitely don't take it as the definitive system- take it as an example of the potential power of ship customization.
Will there be symmetry toggles, so that we can build half the ship and get both sides at once, or turn it off to build something ugly?
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

I just want to confirm that the game was totally super smooth and it was crazy when I stopped by to show some friends I made at PAX the game and there was one of those cases where we had 4,000 allied ships vs 100 enemy ships. The light show was insane.

Talked with Talvieno? about the mechanics where you can push the asteroids around and how it would be super cool if you could drop them on planets. I recently read a trilogy called Bobiverse https://www.goodreads.com/series/192752-bobiverse where that actually happened with bad and good results.

I just want to get some asteroid movers with my fleet and launch rocks at an opposing force to see if I can hit ships with them / more stationary defenses. Could be a very effective first wave to combat.

I wasn't there, unfortunately. Couldn't make it for technical/financial reasons. That was probably Adam. :P Also, thanks to a prior chat with Josh, I can say with confidence that he's steering hard away from asteroids-as-a-weapon. :P That's not something he wants to happen in Limit Theory - at least, in vanilla.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Hyperion wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:24 am
I'm hereby requesting that the default slider positions for LT 1.0 are exactly to victor's specifications :)
I could support this.

That said, I duly promise not to ragequit if the game does happen to offer, in addition to a Maximum Customization menu, a QuickSettings page that has just a few meta-settings, e.g.:

• Victor's Settings
  • Josh's Settings
  • Hardcore Mode
  • Simulation Mode
  • Tourist Mode

...each of which should be explained in a mouseover pop-up dialog, and all of which can of course be customized after selecting them if the player wishes.

(Actually, I'm always interested in hearing from others here: what meta-settings would you want LT to offer?)

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:08 pm
It's worth noting, perhaps, that sliders aren't as important if you can have mods.

?

I don't know about you, but me, I like it when mods offer customization options!

:lol: This is true. What I meant was that, prior to LT having modding capability, our only hope for customizing the game was in sliders. Mods make it easier to customize the game, and thus, sliders are no longer our only hope for customization. They're still very important, just not as important as they once were.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Thank you, Flat. :D

You have more than adequately described what I had in mind.
Flatfingers wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:51 pm
I duly promise not to ragequit if the game does happen to offer, in addition to a Maximum Customization menu, a QuickSettings page that has just a few meta-settings, e.g.:

Josh's Settings
Hardcore Mode
Simulation Mode
Tourist Mode

...each of which should be explained in a mouseover pop-up dialog, and all of which can of course be customized after selecting them if the player wishes.
I omit the reference to my preferred settings on the grounds that Josh's settings would only require a few tweaks, if that, to be in line with my own. :thumbup: :angel:

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:34 am
:lol: This is true. What I meant was that, prior to LT having modding capability, our only hope for customizing the game was in sliders. Mods make it easier to customize the game, and thus, sliders are no longer our only hope for customization. They're still very important, just not as important as they once were.

Hmm. The pedant in me thinks you're playing a bit fast and loose with the meaning of that word "customization," but I have warned that pedant to get out of me on multiple occasions to no avail.

I get what you mean, though. Ultimately it's all about the player being able to adjust the play experience toward what's most fun personally. Whether it's mods, or configuration settings, I happily endorse them both.

LindseyReid wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:22 pm

Firstly, you'll never *have* to use the ship customizer to make ships. Unless you're extremely picky, the ship generation algorithms generate good-looking ships by default.
So, could we possibly have an export function that allows us to share the ship generating algorithm, so we can share with friends on the forum?
Obviously, we would also require an import window to paste valid formulae into as well.

It would be cool, to not only see via screenshots, but be able to import and play with the Milennium Falcon for example :D
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Flatfingers wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:51 pm
I duly promise not to ragequit if the game does happen to offer, in addition to a Maximum Customization menu, a QuickSettings page that has just a few meta-settings, e.g.:

Josh's Settings
Hardcore Mode
Simulation Mode
Tourist Mode

I would add to the tourist mode (high speed, high shield so that you can easily go around without too much fearing fights as you can flee and resist) so that I can visit the whole universe, an:

„i have no time but want to build an empire“- mode

That is a sort of difficulty until cheater mode slider (0% - very tough game, 50% - normal game, 80% - easy game, 100% - cheater mode, you have to be creative to loose a fight, and profit of mining/commerce is unfairly higher for you than for the competiton AI) that allow to make money more easily, win fights more easily, and basically build up a faction or improve you ship quicker for persons that beyond a full-time job and a familly, as well as few other hobbies, want to have the experience of late game without being able to invest the time.

Even better if you can change this slider during a game. For example going to cheat-mode to build an empire and reverting to 50%-normal to actually play your empire.

Note that this is better than a simple editor allowing to give yourself huge amount of money, as you have to do the intermediate steps, but at high speed/low risks.

I still like the concept of choosing to take control of NPCs at the beginning of the game. This way the player can easily enter the game as an established business person or faction without having to worry about setting things up initially. Then when the player dies they would have the choice to either continue playing as one of their previous subordinates or to continue the game from another NPCs perspective (such as those pirates who have been so bothersome). This would mean that dying in Limit Theory doesn't end the game but instead continuously allows the player to explore different perspectives within the same game universe. I think that this (game mode) could make Limit Theory really stand out from other open world games and would be an interesting way to handle death.

FormalMoss wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:55 am
So, could we possibly have an export function that allows us to share the ship generating algorithm, so we can share with friends on the forum?
Obviously, we would also require an import window to paste valid formulae into as well.

It would be cool, to not only see via screenshots, but be able to import and play with the Milennium Falcon for example :D
Josh has said this would absolutely be included. :) Granted, that was a few years ago, but I don't see why/how it would/could have changed.
CSE wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:27 am
sliders and gameplay talk
What you're describing is essentially a sandbox mode. Josh has said such a thing may be in LT 1.0, but expressed doubts for various reasons.

BFett - I like that idea very much, and I don't think it would be hard at all to implement, either. :D It might even be a default starting option, who knows.

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:49 pm
CSE wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:27 am
sliders and gameplay talk
What you're describing is essentially a sandbox mode. Josh has said such a thing may be in LT 1.0, but expressed doubts for various reasons.
Yeah, I know. But I can still try to lobby for my wishes every 5 years or so :mrgreen: .
Actually, perhaps Josh getting older will give him more understanding for the casual gamers among us ;)

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:12 pm
Personally I hope he includes a sandbox mode. I'd greatly enjoy that - and I know you (and a lot of other people) would too. It's just a matter of convincing Josh that it would be worth the time spent. :D
What's a sandbox mode vs what LT is going to be?
I thought it was a sandbox single person game to begin with.. :eh:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

FormalMoss wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:17 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:12 pm
Personally I hope he includes a sandbox mode. I'd greatly enjoy that - and I know you (and a lot of other people) would too. It's just a matter of convincing Josh that it would be worth the time spent. :D
What's a sandbox mode vs what LT is going to be?
I thought it was a sandbox single person game to begin with.. :eh:
I think Tal means a sandbox in terms of a very malleable universe, not in the sense that you won't be able to do anything you like within the game world.

Online Now