Return to “Announcements”

Re: Limit Theory @ PAX South 2018 Recap

Victor Tombs wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:09 am
I'm a bit concerned about the slider aspects of the game. I'm hoping this won't turn into a nightmare "mixing panel" which has me spending most of my time trying to get the game configuration just right. I trust the team to make a good fist of the presets thus obviating the necessity to play around forever with the sliders.

I'm all for flexibility in a game but I prefer a game to be playable "out of the box" without having to drain my enthusiasm on lengthy exercises such as these.

The only slider/button I will really appreciate is the one called "Freelancer 2 mode". :angel:

And I'm well aware of some of the sight issues which need to be addressed by the need for indispensable accessibility settings in the game.
I'm hereby requesting that the default slider positions for LT 1.0 are exactly to victor's specifications :)
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:24 am
I'm hereby requesting that the default slider positions for LT 1.0 are exactly to victor's specifications
:lol: That's rather nice of you, Hyperion. :D I'm sure Josh knows what I'm looking for I just wanted to remind him that many of the original backers are primarily interested in a straightforward playable game. For me, this is all about getting an updated Freelancer experience. As some at Pax may have indicated, too much complexity can spoil the fun. I'm aware that there are those who want sliders for everything and I'm sure the LT Team will do their best to accommodate as many requests as they can; I'm really asking for some predefined settings that will deal with players, like me, who are intent on enjoying a game. And I'm not just asking for the one preset button to suit my tastes. :)

I can't recall any game where I wanted to be involved in an obstacle course of decisions prior to playing the game. :angel:

Charley_Deallus wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:09 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:08 pm
It's worth noting, perhaps, that sliders aren't as important if you can have mods.
Great idea! Miss that add sliders! Or sliders that add mods?!?! 🤪
Lum wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:26 am
Three Sliders for the Emperors under the sky,
Seven for the Fleet-Admirals in their halls of stone,
Nine for Cannon Fodder doomed to die,
One for the TheJosh on his dark throne
In the Limit of Theory where the To-be-slided-things lie.
One Slider to rule them all, One Slider to find them,
One Slider to bring them all and in the Options-screen bind them
In the Limit of Theory where the To-be-slided-things lie.
:ugeek:
:D

Mod sliders sound interesting. I want some of those. :D Whatever you do, don't drag it all the way to the right! Your PC will never run again.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Victor Tombs wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:12 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:08 pm
It's worth noting, perhaps, that sliders aren't as important if you can have mods.
Hmm...I know of "players" who spend more time modifying their game than playing it, Nathan. Skyrim is a prime example. *chuckle*

And hello Charley! :wave:
Hello Victor! Long time no see hahaha!
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Charley_Deallus wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:09 pm
Great idea! Mods that add sliders! Or sliders that add mods?!?! 🤪
Right out of the gate I fully plan to permanently set the mod slider for my slider mod to 100%. It'll add a settings page that is just one big slider that controls the number of sliders that you can change. So if you aren't a fan of all the options and just want the default experience, set the slider to 0 and you won't have any settings, but set the slider to 100 and you'll get pages on pages of different sliders for all of the customization options.

Aside from the need for more sliders, the demo looks awesome and I'm actually shocked at how smoothly it runs given the fact that there's so much going on that I can barely see what is happening.

Flatfingers wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:51 am
If I could ask a question, it would be to inquire whether you or Josh or Adam were able to connect with some of the other game developers there. I saw a few photos on Twitter, but wasn't sure if you'd had time/opportunity to say hi to some other devs. One of the great benefits of PAX (for indie devs) is the chance to network; I hope there was some time for that.
We did indeed! Somebody who worked on Freelancer actually stopped by!!!!! And I definitely met a couple of cool devs, although I can't speak for Josh and Adam :)

jarl wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:43 am
The sliders are there to demonstrate the range of the ship gen algorithms I would guess in the game those numbers will be generated based on seed values taken from the race/civ/corp that they belong too.
It IS titled 'Slider Theory', guys. ugh.

JUST KIDDING.

+1 to this answer.

Firstly, you'll never *have* to use the ship customizer to make ships. Unless you're extremely picky, the ship generation algorithms generate good-looking ships by default.

Secondly, the FULL ship customizer will be much more powerful than this. As per Josh's promises, you'll be able to size and place ship parts individually, which means fewer sliders and more mouse control. I agree that the demo ship customizer was not optimal in terms of UI/UX, so definitely don't take it as the definitive system- take it as an example of the potential power of ship customization.
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

LindseyReid wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:22 pm
Secondly, the FULL ship customizer will be much more powerful than this. As per Josh's promises, you'll be able to size and place ship parts individually, which means fewer sliders and more mouse control. I agree that the demo ship customizer was not optimal in terms of UI/UX, so definitely don't take it as the definitive system- take it as an example of the potential power of ship customization.
I think it would be good to have if you want your "civilization" to have ships looking roughly a certain way. It would help you keep all your fighters looking like they're actually yours, even several NPC-generations down the line.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now