Return to “Everything & Anything”

10000 Asteroids Testlevel (WebGL)

Hi, Im working currently on one of those "space games", and hacked together a small demo setup.

The demo is mainly to test some basic properties of the game, in this case if 10000 asteroids (static entities) are to much, or the engine still handles it.
I use Unity for this project, as its a nice engine. (And implementing all this by mysef would take way too long, and take way too much energy)

So what I would like you to test is, if the FPS can keep at 60, or if there are any major slowdowns.
(in the small render windows / or fullscreen)
Also if the engine sound is playing.

There is not much more than flying around asteroids currently. (and maybe one or two little Easter-eggs if you like exploring)
Models and materials are placeholders, and I have turned off any fancy post-processing. (only shadows and a lonely lensflare)

The controls are mapped in a way, that the cursor is always visible for the (not yet implemented) menu.
The reason is that its going to be a more slow moving game, with tactical more choices, and not an arcade shooter.

(in short: L-MB,R-MB,W,S,Wheel)

look: To freely turn the view around the ship, use the left mousebutton and drag.
turn: To change the stearing, use the right mousebutton. The ship will turn towards the last position you have turned to with the right mouse button.

speed: Accelerate with "W" and decelerate with "S". The speed is capped at 100 m/s currently.

zoom: The scrollwheel will change the zoom.

(btw: you dont need to install anything, it runs directly in the browser.)
So when you notice any hiccups or it doesn't run, please tell me your browser version.

And here we go:
edit: a new version with postprocessing, and additional RCS movement (using A,D,R,Q), 2000 asteroids
spaceclutter RCS demo

(old spaceclutter demo, 10 MB)
spaceclutter demo

And the visuals:

here a version with just 1000 asteroids:
spaceclutter2 demo

and here that twitter thing https://twitter.com/TheDamocles
Last edited by Damocles on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Re: 10000 Asteroids Testlevel (WebGL)

Engine noise works fine.
control scheme is fine as well, i like it :D
Framerate inside the field is at a rock steady 60fps but dips down to 48 when im over one of the corners of the field and look over the whole field, having all the rocks in view.
running on chrome

and my rig is pretty beefy
AMD 1700X
32Gig ram
nVidia GForce GTX 1080

the LoD is also very aggressive, rocks look very chunky very fast
and the UV unwrapping on the rocks has ugly warping and pole points
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

On chrome, that stays around 35-45 fps for me. Impressive for a browser. :) Firefox is, unfortunately, considerably less impressive, hovering consistently near 20-25 fps.

I have a i7 7700 HQ Intel CPU, and a NVidia 1050Ti graphics card.

Control scheme is... not bad. :) Unorthodox, perhaps, but it works quite well. I like it! Fighting feels like it would be tricky, though.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Thanks for the info. The LOD is switching pretty fast here. Though I also did not put much effort into creating well fitting LOD stages for that asteroid model. (same as the bad uv map for it)
I might make the stages react to the current fps.

How are the controls feeling?

The controls are more for an EvE type gameplay. As I intend to keep the mouse free for menu interaction.

Damocles wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:37 pm

The controls are more for an EvE type gameplay. As I intend to keep the mouse free for menu interaction.
In this case, your control scheme is pretty good. :thumbup: Just about perfect, I'd say, although the mouse could use wrapping around at the screen edges, if that's doable. If not, it shouldn't be hard to adjust to.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Damocles wrote:
Thanks for the info. The LOD is switching pretty fast here. Though I also did not put much effort into creating well fitting LOD stages for that asteroid model. (same as the bad uv map for it)
I might make the stages react to the current fps.

Controls feel fine, feel like they'd work for all sizes of ships.
some indicator projected into infinity for the current flight direction would be useful for overview purposes.

tested on Edge now as well, got about 5 fps less for the most time. dipped down to 55 in the middle of the field where chrome was rock solid, went down to 40 when i was over a corner overlooking the field

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:42 pm
Damocles wrote:

In this case, your control scheme is pretty good. :thumbup: Just about perfect, I'd say, although the mouse could use wrapping around at the screen edges, if that's doable. If not, it shouldn't be hard to adjust to.
I have to look into what Javascript allows here. (I think that browsers would not like to manipulate the mouse controls?)

I upload a version with 1000 asteroids at one time (more realistic for the game), so you can see if the FPS are affected by the entity-count by a large margin.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:44 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:42 pm
I'd say, although the mouse could use wrapping around at the screen edges
i felt nothing wrong, how would you wrap the mouse?
reach right side -> flip mouse to the left side?
Pretty much, yes. It's not really important or even remotely necessary, he was just looking for suggestions so I offered the only one I could come up with. :D This being that I suddenly found myself unable to turn because my mouse reached the edge of the screen... which puzzled me until I realized my mouse had reached the edge of the screen. :ghost:

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:51 pm
Pretty much, yes. It's not really important or even remotely necessary, he was just looking for suggestions so I offered the only one I could come up with. :D This being that I suddenly found myself unable to turn because my mouse reached the edge of the screen... which puzzled me until I realized my mouse had reached the edge of the screen. :ghost:
for me a half screen width is about 4 full rotations. i think that problem is pretty academic and can be solved by letting go of LMB and repositioning the mouse :V

Online Now