Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

Dinosawer wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:20 pm
"Anyway - Brom, you do remember we were supposed to bring one of them back alive, right? Instead of shooting them all on sight?"
"Of course I do! I have a gift for remembering things.
That shouldn't surprise you though. Remember, you're working with none other than Brom Keegan! The mightiest assassin to ever travel the galaxy! The handsomest one too.
That squid simply wouldn't have survived the trip to the Nemesis. So I did him a favor and ended his life. Much better than dying from a crash if you as me."
Breaker of fortune cookies

"Just out of...curiosity, brom...You seem...a lot more straight forward than what I usually expect from a 'mighty assassin'."

A dramatically oversized ego and something I'd rather describe as narcissism...I'm almost tempted to be surprised how he survived until now. On the other side I dread to think about where this mission goes with him...
I really should've tried to work the hiltorian's weapon into lemons's ship so he can stay with alpha instead of doing this...but I also know that the primary objective to get the stellaplex back has better chances with one more member that actually can do something with their ship...and we'd all die anyway if we couldn't manage to get this done here...one more bad idea in a long row of bad decisions...

*dread*
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

F4wk35 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:47 am
"Just out of...curiosity, brom...You seem...a lot more straight forward than what I usually expect from a 'mighty assassin'."
"That's one of my many advantages over other, lesser assassins. While they're over in the corner being shady, I'm out in the open letting potential clients know I'm there! They see me before anyone else! My personality also helps to attract the ladies. I used to have quite the crowd of attractive women following me.
Of course I do have to turn it down a bit when I'm on the job; can't have them follow me everywhere after all!"
Last edited by Hema on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"...and...this is not a job right now? With, i don't know, our lives on the line?"

A 'mighty assassin'...talking about his 'fans' (who want to kill him) on a hostile planet (where noone knows him)???
Bob would be a better assassin if you could direct him, for dustbunnies sake!
- - - - - - - -

F4wk35 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:04 pm
"...and...this is not a job right now? With, i don't know, our lives on the line?"
"Do you take me for a fool, Mr. Foster? I am a professional assassin. I know when to keep my mouth shut.
This is a battle, not one of my regular assassinations. After shooting down those fighters, silence will be of little use to us.
We might have to be a bit more covert when we reach the colony, so I'll try to keep it down to a whisper there.
Until then, I'll do my best to inspire everyone with my amazing voice! Gotta keep the squads' moral up!"

Hema wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:28 pm
F4wk35 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:04 pm
"Do you take me for a fool, Mr. Foster? I am a professional assassin. I know when to keep my mouth shut.
This is a battle, not one of my regular assassinations. After shooting down those fighters, silence will be of little use to us.
We might have to be a bit more covert when we reach the colony, so I'll try to keep it down to a whisper there.
Until then, I'll do my best to inspire everyone with my amazing voice! Gotta keep the squads' moral up!"
"Bob says you two stop talking.
Bob tired of hearing you."
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

TURN 7

Map:
Spoiler:      SHOW

Squad Alpha:
Frank
F4wk35 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:58 am
Lemons wrote: "Frank. I need your ship hook. You need my egg cracking kit. Come forth and claim thy tools of salvage."
"Ah, right. It seems I forgot something then."

"I have to say, Brom, that I actually wanted to fly around the first ridge closer to the ground so we might be able to spot and prepare in case they decided to send a squad directly over the canyon...Though anyway. I will meet up with you again after I took a look at lemon's stellaplex-harness..."

Which he hopefully hasn't broken like the rest of his ship...

Land near Lemon's ship, far enough away to not impair Gearhead's repairs.
Take a look at the harness attached to lemon's ship.
if it's broken beyond medium repairs or looks too hard to transfer to another ship.
-tell Lemons and move the anchoring bolts from my ship to his.
if the harness is able to be transfered and in acceptable condition.
-switch out his harness and my anchoring bolts.
Then meet up with Brom again.
If enemies happen to show up
-abort what I'm doing atm
-return into the CASKET
-Shoot said enemy once with the MFM
-Get into cover
You land near Lemons' ship, just far enough away to not impair Gearhead while he tries to repair it. Then, you get out and look at Lemons' stellaplex retrieval kit. It looks totally fine. Grumbling, Lemons actually gets out to help you. Together, you fasten the hooks onto what's left of Lemons' ship, and put Lemons' stellaplex retrieval kit onto yours, in one of the aux mounts. No trouble at all!

You climb back into your ship, take off, and head back toward Brom, who is just leaping down from the wreck of the fighter you shot down - with a backpack full of loot, it seems like. That's too bad. You would've liked to have some loot, but at least it doesn't seem like there was that much to begin with.

Miles
Detritus wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:20 pm
0111narwhalz wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:23 pm
Detritus wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:33 pm
"Vynkor, how is my ship? Is it capable of taking more beating?"
"Why don't you run a diagnostic and tell me?"
"Why don't I stuff my mouth with burritos?"

Silently curse myself for being stupid.

Run a diagnostic on my ship after I'm done being mad at myself.
Summarize diagnostic for Vynkor.
You ask Vynkor how your ship is. Vynkor replies with a snarky remark: "Why don't you run a diagnostic and tell me?"

Responding in kind, you say, "Why don't I stuff my mouth with burritos?" The answer, of course, is that you don't have any burritos. This is a travesty and needs to be rectified in short order. It will be your first course of action upon returning to the ship: Find burritos. For now, though, you need to run a diagnostic scan... and it's worth mentioning that you're awful with computer systems. Always have been... but it can't be helped. Vynkor wants a diagnostic scan, and by FSM, you're going to give it to her. Even if it kills you. You turn toward your computer, full of purpose, and mash random buttons for a few minutes. Or, not actually mashing random buttons - but close enough. You hardly know what you're doing, and you're not sure you could reproduce the results if you tried.

By some incredibly random chance, it works. The screens actually say they're running a diagnostic scan. Holy crap, right? After a few minutes, it spits out the data: all your systems are fine. Your starboard auxiliary storage port is showing signs of damage, and the computer warns you may not be able to mount anything there in the future, but you look good to go. Another stroke of luck. Your stellaplex retrieval kit is mounted on the port side.

"Vynkor, my ship seems to be mostly fine. Just some damage to the starboard auxiliary storage port." You feel somewhat proud of yourself, sounding all smart like that.

Now, if only you had a burrito...

Brom
Hema wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:33 pm
F4wk35 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:58 am
"I have to say, Brom, that I actually wanted to fly around the first ridge closer to the ground so we might be able to spot and prepare in case they decided to send a squad directly over the canyon...Though anyway. I will meet up with you again after I took a look at lemon's stellaplex-harness...
((I'll put in possible fighting actions when Brom's plan is set and his actions planned))
"As a master assassin, I believe I would have noticed any approaching enemies while I was gunning down that last fighter.
The map says the coast is clear, so I say we go for it. Only after we get everything ready of though. I still have to look through this poor souls' wrecked fighter.
It just tears me up inside that we couldn't have met on better terms. I will try and find comfort in the fact that at least one of them died well."

Examine the wreckage more closely to see if I can find anything useful.
If I find anything useful that's small enough to carry back to my ship, put it in my backpack.
Also look for small pieces of scrap that I might be able to twist together to make something. ((Still looking to make Jimmy something))

If there are any useful parts that are too large to fit into my ship, offer to carry them back to Saoirse's cargo pod.
"If you'd like, I can help you carry the parts. I'm quite strong you know. Runs in the family."

After looting the wreckage, return to my ship and check for the results of my scan.
You walk around the wreckage, giving it a thorough examination. It landed hard on its left side, and the weapons turret on the right seems to have separated during the crash; there's little left of it. Most of the weapons are utterly destroyed, but there's something near the midwards section of the main cockpit that looks mostly intact - some kind of plasma weaponry, if you're right. That looks interesting, but you're not actually sure how you would separate it. It looks like it would need powerful cutting tools... or just a lot of brute force. It looks too heavy to lift, anyway.

You climb up over the back of the main cockpit to a hull breach in front of the engines and start poking around there. There's a lot of wires in there - you rip some of them out to try to braid or twist them into something to give to Bob, for Jimmy. The ship's quiet hum of whirring fans winds down into silence. You take out a few more cables and wires for good measure, and then unhook the computer processor. Maybe the tech geeks back on the Nemesis would like that. You take some other devices out of the ship too, and stick them in your backpack.

You leap from the back of the ship onto the dusty soil, and then head over to your ship, climbing back into the cockpit. You stow the backpack behind the seat, and then check the results of your diagnostics scan. On the main screen, you find:

Initiating deep scan.
Software scan complete: no errors
Computer scan complete: no errors
Cockpit scan complete: no errors

It goes on like this for a while, until it stops short with:

Engine 2: malfunction detected.
Engine 2: Advanced diagnostics initiated
Engine 2: Discovered ruptured fuel line; closing leak
____Warning: deactivating Engine 2 thruster plume; exercise caution when behind vehicle
Engine 2: radiator flaps malfunctioning; cannot fully extend
Engine 2: thrust chamber assembly damaged; thrust may be offcenter
Engine 2: resimulating thrust; stand clear
Engine 2: compensating for damaged thrust chamber assembly

Some minor damage, it sounds like, but nothing serious. That deep scan definitely helped.

Buck
Hapchazzard wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:15 am
Impatiently wait for the others to finish fiddling with the crashed ship
if the crashed ship's computer still has power for whatever reason
-Try and hack it to find out any interesting info
Watch out for any hostiles that might be coming
if I see a hostile
-Shoot with the MFM once
You wait impatiently, trying to do anything besides twiddling your thumbs. This is getting boring. You want to have something to do, and nothing is showing up. You figure, then, at least, you could hack the crashed ship that Brom and Saoirse are poking at, and try to see if there's anything you can recover.

A couple minutes later, you've found a way in. It's taken a lot of skill, and you've had to reroute a backup generator to get the main computer running again, but you have partial access to the systems.

Now you just have to poke around and find something interesting... which turns out to be a little harder than you'd expected. Hacking you can do. Reading hiltorel? That's not your strong suit. It's a standard human computer system - old model, though. Hacking that part? Piece of cake. The best you can do is download some large standard-format image files you find in a hidden folder - something that appears to be maps. You're not actually sure what they're of, though. They don't appear to be of Huhoba Qitsit, and their designation is simply a number - not even a description. Odd, to be sure, and odder still that they'd be on this hiltorel fighter. You dig around through some records on the drives - docking records, specifically - and find that this particular craft was only relocated here several years ago. According to the logs, this ship was originally created at a factory on Cetira IV (wherever that is) over a decade ago, and was owned by a pair of pilots for several years: Hawsawjon Bimita and Tefehe Bohelka. The logs are lengthy - you're guessing that the people it belonged to were mercenaries. It's not enough, though. To unravel the mystery of the maps, you feel like you'll need to keep digging.

Without prior warning, your computers suddenly register a lost connection. You poke around a bit more, trying to reconnect, but it's no good. The alien ship seems to be dead... for reasons you can't quite ascertain.

It was probably nothing important anyway, right?

Squad Beta:
Lemons
Triggerhappy wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:56 am
Snore lightly.
Dream of warm blankets.
Triggerhappy wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:28 pm
Someone is trying to wake me up. Shame.
Open eyes

"Frank. I need your ship hook. You need my egg cracking kit. Come forth and claim thy tools of salvage."
Triggerhappy wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 pm
Get out of my landed ship and help with the switching of my kit with Frank's.
Trip that angry Gearhead guy fixing my ship if the opportunity arises.
May no man ever wake you from your slumber again, or they shall meet a similar fate.
You snore lightly, dreaming of warm blankets... but then Frank wakes you up. You open your eyes. You originally try to make him do all the work he's suggesting, but Gearhead yells at you about it. You climb out of your cockpit and switch your gear and Frank's (with Frank's help of course) but try to trip Gearhead in the process, ignoring the fact that he's fixing your ship.

As you walk behind him, your powerful exoskeleton leg kicks out, moving deftly beneath his weak, clumsy frame; gloriously, he does a half-spin and twist, and lands exactly on his ass. Justice is served. May no man ever attempt to force you to do such menial tasks again, or they shall meet a similar fate.

Gearhead
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:02 pm
Triggerhappy wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:56 am
Snore lightly.
Dream of warm blankets.
"EY! LAZYASS! GET THE frak UP AND DO SOMETHING USEFUL! You can sleep when you are dead! If you want to hasten that i can help you!"
"But until then get a diagnostic of your rustbucket done! Else i 'accidentally' miswire the thruster controls you still have!"
"You can also take some materials and get some of the damage patched yourself!
"Stupid meatsack"

take repair kit over to lemon's ship, repair its main thrusters
You yell at Lemons to get the hell out of his ship and help Frank out, because lazy allies suck balls. You make a threat to kill him if he doesn't, too - and tell him to get a ship diagnostic. He doesn't. Nor does he try to help patch his own ship. This guy just flat out sucks.

His ship sucks, too. Most of the engines are wiped, and the ones that are left look like they'll barely hold. You're almost surprised he managed to land. The side and top of his ship are shot all to hell. The cockpit took a hit, too, and the life support. The computers are up, but the terminals are all fried. Most amusingly, perhaps - they managed to destroy his prized cargo pod. It's a twisted, molten wreck, and the cover is completely gone.

You're not even sure where to begin with his thrusters, and you're already disliking the guy anyway... especially when you suddenly find yourself sitting on the ground, on your ass, after doing a half-flip and twist. You sit there for a moment and try to piece together what happened, when you hear a laugh behind you.

It's Lemons. Naturally. He sneaked up behind you and viciously "tripped" you, if you can call it that - and with his exoskeleton powered up, too. You aren't injured, but seriously - what the hell is this guy's problem? You throw your tools back into the kit and close it up. If Lemons wants to fly in a piece of trash, he absolutely can. You're done.

Saoirse
Dinosawer wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:20 pm
"Anyway - Brom, you do remember we were supposed to bring one of them back alive, right? Instead of shooting them all on sight?"
I sigh, and check the ship for other valuables (maybe one of the hiltorel's airshields still works? Or other infantry gear in the cockpits?) and take them. If it's portable and I can use it, I put it in my backpack, otherwise in my cargo pod.
If Brom finds something large he wants to put in my cargo pod, I help him do so.
While doing this, I whistle Rocky Road to dublin.
After that, I get back into my CASKET and prepare to take off again.
You argue a while with Brom over shooting potential captives, and then sigh. There's no point in arguing, really. The best you can hope for is that he won't kill anyone you could capture in the future. As soon as you realize this, you start checking the ship for valuables - hopefully the hiltorel airshield. You walk around the ship to the far side and remove the belt from the dead squid, getting your suit's gloves smeared with the pale blue hiltorel blood in the process. It reminds you vaguely of milk, except with a higher viscosity.

It looks like the airshield portion still works, but the grav unit is malfunctioning: something damaged it at some point, but you're not sure what. There's a couple hiltorel sidearms in the dead guy's holsters, too, so you take those. They lack the conventional trigger you're used to seeing on human weapons, so you're not quite sure what to make of it, but still, it's loot! Hard to turn that down.

You walk back to your ship, tossing the sidearms into your cargo pod. The belt, though, you put in your backpack. That was a good find.

Bob
Cha0zz wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:15 am
Dinosawer wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:25 pm
Cha0zz wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:04 am
Bob says we go to K10 and attack landed mean guys.
"Okay, but we should probably wait for Gearhead to fix Lemons' ship before we do that."
"Okay Soairse-Boss"
"But do we really need Lemons? Bob not like taste of lemons. lemons are stupid yellow things"

Keep an eye on the location of the nacelle for about half a turn, then get bored and start looking around in my cockpit opening lockers (if there are any) etc. ((hoping to find the elusive rubber duck :V)) while humming over the comms channel.

Should I notice a bad guy:
- Shoot it with my turreted particle gun (1 shot)
- then find cover
You watch the nacelle closely for a couple minutes. Nothing really happens, so you get bored and start looking around in your cockpit, poking around at things. You hum as you do so, not realizing that your comms are open and you're subjecting the entire group to your off-key noisemaking. "...and up she rises, early in the morning," you sing - the only part of the lyrics you actually remember - and then continue humming.

Sadly, you can't really find anything interesting in your cockpit that you didn't know about, apart from a manual. Maybe you just aren't looking hard enough, or maybe there simply isn't anything there.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

"There is little left to salavge here, but I did my best.
I'll be bringing back the ship's CPU, along with some other assorted equipment. They were some of the few things I found that didn't look completely fried.
Worth noting is that one of the weapons is still intact. Unfortunately I lack the tools to detach it, and even I lack the strength to move it.
The thing is a beast of a gun. I'm sure it would fetch a high price if we could just pry it from the wreckage."

Brom wrote: Worth noting is that one of the weapons is still intact. Unfortunately I lack the tools to detach it, and even I lack the strength to move it.
The thing is a beast of a gun. I'm sure it would fetch a high price if we could just pry it from the wreckage."
Can't solve the problem with his arms and muscles, and he can't solve the problem at all...great!

"We...might have a working chance to get it out with our robotic arms...Ra- *cough* Vynkor and I should be able to cobble together a holding cradle for it to your or her auxiliary slots where we can at least hold the weapon until we get back to somewhere less hostile..."
- - - - - - - -

Triggerhappy wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 pm
Trip that angry Gearhead guy fixing my ship if the opportunity arises.
"Does your stupidity know any boundaries? Of all the things you could do you trip the guy who is shoulder deep in the antimatter thrusters that would get you away from this sorry rock?!
Do you have any idea what could have happened if i had been happening to handle one of the injector valves?! If i had been a few centimeters to the right the whole powertrain of your holed rustbucked could have blown up!
Fix your stuff yourself, its too dangerous for my taste to work on sensitive equipment in your range!"

stupid meatbag. couldnt keep himself alive in a straightjacket in a rubber cell

F4wk35 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 am
Brom wrote: Worth noting is that one of the weapons is still intact. Unfortunately I lack the tools to detach it, and even I lack the strength to move it.
"We...might have a working chance to get it out with our robotic arms...Ra- *cough* Vynkor and I should be able to cobble together a holding cradle for it to your or her auxiliary slots where we can at least hold the weapon until we get back to somewhere less hostile..."
"That would take more time than we have, Frank. Besides, those were small fry ships. Those weapons shouldn't be anything special. The only reason we had any trouble with them is because I didn't have my usual arsenal.
I say we get moving towards our next objective. Gotta keep the squids on their toes- er, tentacles? You know what I mean."
((Orders to come soon. I'd like us to get moving so Tal doesn't have an excuse to build an army at the colony.
Edit: I have a plan of attack now. I will post it tomorrow.))

Online Now