Return to “Dev Logs”

Post

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, January 5, 2018

#19
ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:28 pm
"how do you make procedural space ships?"

I would just ask Elentor instead of spending another 2 months on this art distraction.
You, sir, are an idiot.

First off, the source: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showt ... id=3830322
For those like me who actually bothered to dig into it and take a glance.

Second off, what this guy "Elentor" has done, is the Spore approach to spaceships.
He created a number of model pieces and just uses some proceduralism to attach them in seemingly interesting ways.
But when you get down it it, it's a limited number of parts, attachable in a limited number of ways.

What Lindsey is creating is considerably more complicated, and more awesome.

If we compare Elentor's work to using 27 lego bricks to make spaceships, you can attach these 27 in all sorts of ways, but there is a finite, and not even that large, number of ways that they can be attached.

Then Lindsey's work is compared to giving you 27 kilograms of modeling clay in zero gravity. You can do anything with it, and while technically it's a finite number of options, it's a finite that can be, for all intents and purposes, treated as infinite, simply because it's number of options is just that large.

Lindsey's work will fill entire GALAXIES filled with unique and interesting ship shapes.
Elentor's work will barely fill a backyard, let alone a star system.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
Toba - A Development Dump
Post

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, January 5, 2018

#20
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:31 pm
those ships are all identical.

PCG greeble doesnt make whole ships
Sorry friend. I couldn't find a gif with different shaped ships.


But I'm excited to see ship algo's perfected over the next few months.
Silverware wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:47 pm
Elentor's work will barely fill a backyard, let alone a star system.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Don't need any ships when mining/battle/trade/exploration ain't working. I though Josh's ship editor was perfectly reasonable for a project of this small size.
outlander wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:35 pm
What Cornflakes said. Are you being difficult, or just trolling, if I may ask?
I may be difficult because this feel like a side art project being injected into Limit Theory, the space procedural game.
Last edited by ResultsMayDiffer on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, January 5, 2018

#21
ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:08 pm
Sorry friend. I couldn't find a gif with different shaped ships.
so giving a proper link to the source was impossible as well?

ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:08 pm
But I'm excited to see ship algo's perfected over the next few months.
a post ago you said stop wasting months. now you say wait months. what now?
Post

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, January 5, 2018

#22
ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:08 pm
I may be difficult because this feel like a side art project being injected into Limit Theory, the space procedural game.
you mean the PCG art person doing PCG art while the other persons do other stuff is .. bad... why?

edit: in a game thats about PCG ships in a PCG universe?
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, January 5, 2018

#23
ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:08 pm
Silverware wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:47 pm
Elentor's work will barely fill a backyard, let alone a star system.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Don't need any ships when mining/battle/trade/exploration ain't working. I though Josh's ship editor was perfectly reasonable for a project of this small size.
So... you missed that the first thing that Elentor did was the procedural (barely) spaceships for his SHMUP?
... Kay.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
Toba - A Development Dump
Post

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, January 5, 2018

#24
ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:08 pm
I may be difficult because this feel like a side art project being injected into Limit Theory, the space procedural game.
I see it as LT finally getting ship generation system that doesn't produce ships that look like bricks, and only like bricks. LT was conceived and developed as a better successor to Freelancer; and having ships of vastly different shapes, designs, and sizes helps to achieve that.

Also, it is fairly obvious that this 'art project' doesn't really bite into dev time as Josh and Adam keep working on the core systems, planet/nebulae/asteroid-ice-debris field/whatever generation algorithms, as well as gameplay logic such as flight model, economy, AI, and general integration of various systems into the game.

This attitude of 'this can be done cheaper! faster! better!' reveals only your deep ignorance of both game design and current situation in LT development (which is pretty transparent from devlogs and occasional talks with Josh and Lindsey).

:wave:
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.
Post

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, January 5, 2018

#25
This was a very nice post to read. Thank you for that, Lindsey (and of course for the shinys :D)

Another thing I have wondered is whether we can get some footage from the PAX Demo. Last time we had the interview/game video from Skyfligher and that was great.
And I like great. And I like LT. And I like Josh's voice. And I would love to see what other people are able to see and experience.
Sooo, those should be enough reasons, right? ;) It doesn't have to be long, just a little bit for my craving :D
Post

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, January 5, 2018

#26
thedamngod wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:30 pm
This was a very nice post to read. Thank you for that, Lindsey (and of course for the shinys :D)

Another thing I have wondered is whether we can get some footage from the PAX Demo. Last time we had the interview/game video from Skyfligher and that was great.
And I like great. And I like LT. And I like Josh's voice. And I would love to see what other people are able to see and experience.
Sooo, those should be enough reasons, right? ;) It doesn't have to be long, just a little bit for my craving :D
+1
:D :ghost:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-
Post

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, January 5, 2018

#27
thedamngod wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:30 pm
This was a very nice post to read. Thank you for that, Lindsey (and of course for the shinys :D)

Another thing I have wondered is whether we can get some footage from the PAX Demo. Last time we had the interview/game video from Skyfligher and that was great.
And I like great. And I like LT. And I like Josh's voice. And I would love to see what other people are able to see and experience.
Sooo, those should be enough reasons, right? ;) It doesn't have to be long, just a little bit for my craving :D
I'll make a solid attempt to get us some footage from that. :) I can't make promises, but I'm pretty sure I can get that done.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Image
Image
Post

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, January 5, 2018

#28
Talvieno wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:36 am
thedamngod wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:30 pm
This was a very nice post to read. Thank you for that, Lindsey (and of course for the shinys :D)

Another thing I have wondered is whether we can get some footage from the PAX Demo. Last time we had the interview/game video from Skyfligher and that was great.
And I like great. And I like LT. And I like Josh's voice. And I would love to see what other people are able to see and experience.
Sooo, those should be enough reasons, right? ;) It doesn't have to be long, just a little bit for my craving :D
I'll make a solid attempt to get us some footage from that. :) I can't make promises, but I'm pretty sure I can get that done.
I demand promises! :lol:

Just pay someone $15 to point an iphone at the general area of the game booth for an hour lol. Yes, it's that easy (note: this is sarcasm).
Shoot ALL the things!
Post

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, January 5, 2018

#29
Distant wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:43 am
Talvieno wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:36 am
thedamngod wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:30 pm
This was a very nice post to read. Thank you for that, Lindsey (and of course for the shinys :D)

Another thing I have wondered is whether we can get some footage from the PAX Demo. Last time we had the interview/game video from Skyfligher and that was great.
And I like great. And I like LT. And I like Josh's voice. And I would love to see what other people are able to see and experience.
Sooo, those should be enough reasons, right? ;) It doesn't have to be long, just a little bit for my craving :D
I'll make a solid attempt to get us some footage from that. :) I can't make promises, but I'm pretty sure I can get that done.
I demand promises! :lol:

Just pay someone $15 to point an iphone at the general area of the game booth for an hour lol. Yes, it's that easy (note: this is sarcasm).
Really!!?
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-
Post

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, January 5, 2018

#30
FormalMoss wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:38 pm
Distant wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:43 am
Talvieno wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:36 am

I'll make a solid attempt to get us some footage from that. :) I can't make promises, but I'm pretty sure I can get that done.
I demand promises! :lol:

Just pay someone $15 to point an iphone at the general area of the game booth for an hour lol. Yes, it's that easy (note: this is sarcasm).
Really!!?
Nooo. Wait, yeeess. Wait, uhh I don't know anymore.

We get what we get. I THINK that's what I was trying to say. But this time I really do hope for lots of footage of people playing the game or the general nonsense of Pax South! Maybe Josh can just wear a go pro on him and upload the raw video! lol.
Shoot ALL the things!

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron