Return to “Games”

Re: Star Citizen

Hyperion wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:24 am
But, youre right, NEW SHIP! BUY NOW, PLAY LATER! is a fairly dodgy method of maintaining hype, and is a very fair criticism of their PR and development decisions.
I would agree on this too, but as you said, I have no right to tell people what they can and cannot enjoy, so I typically just stay quiet on the matter. If people can get enjoyment out of something, I'm all for it. :) I'm just not going to be buying any ships of my own. I don't have the money or the interest. I'm a solo sort of guy.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Hyperion wrote:

But, youre right, NEW SHIP! BUY NOW, PLAY LATER! is a fairly dodgy method of maintaining hype, and is a very fair criticism of their PR and development decisions. I always thought the idea of selling ships like they have was insane, but hey, it's not my money, who am I to tell people that buying virtual ships for a virtual world that doesn't even exist yet is dumb?
Good grief! So I'm dumb now. Unbelievable! :twisted:

Sometimes I wonder why I bother with this place. :evil:

CIG is a terrible company that has wasted the opportunity of a lifetime that the backers handed them. But they didn't stop there, they continue to abuse their backers trust and prey on their dreams for a cool space game.

Most scams are short-lived because people stop caring if nothing ever comes to fruitition. A well managed one lives from a carrot on a stick and this is something Chris Roberts is pretty proficient in. CR lost my trust in 2014 and everything he has done since then only confirms my initial impression. I am always amazed how people are willing and able to twist their own perception and willfully ignore obvious flaws like the current state of the game in order to keep the dream alive. Due to the short attention span of today's population the frequent release of ATVs is an absolute MUST to keep the money-train going.

You always have to wake up eventually tho. A dream is just that, and eventually even this one will come to an end.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:09 am
I don't suppose you checked the date of that video you linked to? It's hardly representative of where the project is now, is it? :)
I find the performance and gameplay of their latest build worse than what they displayed previously. Overall the project appears to be going downhill, It's no longer about massive space battles but better graphics and "realism"

Hyperion wrote:
However, you're rude to people, and that will make pretty much anyone less willing to hear what you have to say, regardless of the validity of your points, so no wonder you dont get anywhere with your arguments
Consider this my full apology if anyone felt I was attacking them personally. I do condone the act of continued funding and pay2win business model; I will attempt to differentiate between the act and the person.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 am
Hyperion wrote:

But, youre right, NEW SHIP! BUY NOW, PLAY LATER! is a fairly dodgy method of maintaining hype, and is a very fair criticism of their PR and development decisions. I always thought the idea of selling ships like they have was insane, but hey, it's not my money, who am I to tell people that buying virtual ships for a virtual world that doesn't even exist yet is dumb?

:roll: the proper way to dispose of your excess money is to give it to me, anything else is littering. do you hate the planet or something? :lol:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Victor Tombs wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 am
Hyperion wrote:

You're not dumb, Victor. :P You enjoy the ships, and that's all that matters. If it comes out, great! :thumbup: If not, I don't expect you to start leveling lawsuits, and it won't make the enjoyment you've already experienced cease to have existed. :)
Cody wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:57 am
Talvieno wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:32 am
I'm a solo sort of guy.
You shoot first - cool!
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:23 am
Probably a wise move. You wouldn't stand a snowball's chance as I'm sitting on 6-7 years of footage evidencing CIG's inability to deliver. All you have is hopes and dreams.
ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:41 am
Kickstarter was in 2012.
[...]
I'd call it misinformation but you're not even in the ballpark.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:36 am
because between 2012 and 2017 are totally 6-7 years.
Cloud Imperium Games founded in 2010 (7 years ago) and Chris' attempts at Star Citizen go back much further than that.
If it seems like Freelancer appears to have had many of the same lofty goals, just like Star Citizen does today – you would be right. Living Universes? Immense scales of space? “What you do is entirely up to you”?

Fair point, Results. :) I wouldn't call it "proof" yet, though.

Freelancer was riddled with delays and cuts because it was so all-encompassing. It's hardly any surprise to me that Star Citizen is taking a similar path. Freelancer turned out pretty great, though. :) At least no matter what happens, we always have Freelancer. :thumbup:

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:37 am
No gameplay, but it looks pretty. Is this a cutscene or just a cinematic?
My favorite part was when the ship didn't fly anywhere, but I'll cut them some slack when they fly a mission tomorrow.

Back in the day they would at least fly the new ships, now they just show them sitting in hangars and people still shell out just the same. You could see the quality of their commercials steadily decrease, with less voice acting and effort. It would have been a good opportunity to showcase new gameplay options and features in a cinematic manner, but you kind of need a functional game for that to happen.

Compare this video from 2014 where they fly around and battle: https://youtu.be/qE7TFnSl9y4
to today, most of the ships never get off the ground outside of 2d concept art. I spent 10 mins trying to find video of their $275 stealth bomber flying. I guess they couldn't be bothered.

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:52 am
Freelancer turned out pretty great, though. :) At least no matter what happens, we always have Freelancer. :thumbup:
I guess you have a point there.

Online Now