Return to “Games”

Re: Star Citizen

Naed wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:22 pm
*Sits down and watches the 2 echo chambers spit at each other*

Have the bunch of you not got anything better to do?
They are sitting here discussing a (subjectivly) crap game concept, on a forum about a much better game concept, while neither concept it really even close to the level they need to be to be a game.

No, they really don't. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

:( I'm so sorry... Please delete or edit my recent posts in this thread. I never meant to be the worst! Only second worst! :cry:
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

They are sitting here discussing a (subjectivly) crap game concept, on a forum about a much better game concept, while neither concept it really even close to the level they need to be to be a game.

No, they really don't. :V
In contrast to Limit Theory, Star Citizen has playable Segments out, that can be evaluated and criticized...

Naed wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:22 pm
*Sits down and watches the 2 echo chambers spit at each other*

Have the bunch of you not got anything better to do?
Yes and No. But you are right I am now giving up trying to change anyone's mind. If backers had put as much effort towards keeping CIG and Chris accountable as they do towards mocking critics the game would have been out years ago. At this stage it doesn't matter. There is no game. There never will be a game. There will only be a continuation of CIG's failures, incompetence, and pathetic mismanagement until the money runs out.

The one thing I should have learned by now is that time and Star Citizen makes fools of us all. The SC faithful have been so sure that total success is just around the corner for so long. And the SC skeptics have been so sure that total collapse has been just around the corner forever and everyone has been wrong. This is purgatory. We are caught in purgatory--in the limbo between dreams and disaster. The people who have forgotten Star Citizen are the only ones who are free.

Backers don't process the content of the media they consume, they process the emotions it made them feel. No citizen can remember what Ben or Chris or Tony said in episode 172 of RTV two years ago. But they can remember a powerful, idolized man told them he would give them their dreams, and that's all that registered in their brains. Does something make them feel hyped and pumped for Star Citizen? It goes in the GOOD category, is welcomed into their worldview, and the theorycrafting begins about how awesome this will be. Does something make them feel nervous or anxious or attacked? Then it goes in the BAD category and cannot be allowed to be real, ever. Just like the facebook video I linked. I think Tal won't watch it and I bet most closed it immediately if they even bother clicking it after Tal said it contained whoever. They don't care about the content but only the feeling.

Announcing a new ship? That makes them feel psyched! It's gonna be great flying that with their friends and their orgs, and Chris said orgs will seek you out if you have one. Calling out the hefty price tag of a new ship? That makes them feel attacked, stop making them feel bad about a thing they were feeling good about a moment ago. You must be a goon or an alt or a shill or another evil word, because you want to harm me by making me feel bad. The backers evaluate all criticism by the disappointment and defensiveness the cultists themselves feel when they hear it. Not what the actual critic said.

Why did you hurt me? You must have wanted to hurt me. Your motive cannot have been critique or evaluation or even well-intentioned concern, it can ONLY be to hurt me. You must hate me. So you hate Star Citizen. You are coming for me and I must ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK to stop you hurting me again!.

I call Citizens "manchildren", this is how they behave like children. The content doesn't matter, only the way it makes them feel. Intent does not matter, if it hurts them to hear your words you must have meant to hurt them.

This is why they're so strangely blasé about release dates and feature lists. All that matters is how awesome it will be when 3.0 is released. If not 3.0, then 3.1. If not 3.1, then 4.0. It's gonna feel so awesome.

This is why critical bloggers and streamers must be attacked so viciously (setting aside considerations about grey market prices). Your words make me feel sad and that hurts so you must be deliberately attacking me. I will react as if you have directly assaulted me.

This is why they cheered when Chris said he won't give release dates. Release dates are just words in the mouths of people who hurt us. If Chris does not make promises, the haters have less ammunition!

Ultimately this is why they're pathologically incapable of evaluating the project.

There's no point arguing with a Cultist over the substantive content of anything, lawsuit or critique or forum post, because the Citizens aren't reading the content. The content doesn't matter. The meaning doesn't matter. All that matters is that the lawsuit, the words of a critic, or Chris's failure to play his own game suddenly makes them feel anxious. So it must be rejected as hard and as thoroughly as possible to make the anxiety stop.

ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:27 am
Does something make them feel nervous or anxious or attacked? Then it goes in the BAD category and cannot be allowed to be real, ever. Just like the facebook video I linked. I think Tal won't watch it and I bet most closed it immediately if they even bother clicking it after Tal said it contained whoever. They don't care about the content but only the feeling.
It's not about the feeling. I'm willing to listen to criticism about Star Citizen. The other critics, I don't know of and have no problem with. It's only Derek Smart in particular. He's "infamous" online for being a caustic jerk to everyone around him - and intentionally so. He derives pleasure from it and has stated as such. It's hard to take that kind of person seriously, because you know every word out of their mouth is going to be negative regardless of what they're talking about. They cease to be a reliable source of information, and you can't hold meaningful conversations with them.
ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:27 am
I call Citizens "manchildren", this is how they behave like children. The content doesn't matter, only the way it makes them feel. Intent does not matter, if it hurts them to hear your words you must have meant to hurt them.
Whether you believe it is your intent to hurt people with this or not, "manchildren" is not only rude, it's universally perceived as an insult. This does not make for civil discourse.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I was considering replying to the text of your post, ResultsMayDiffer, but you continue to insult people so I've decided not to bother.

I don't suppose you checked the date of that video you linked to? It's hardly representative of where the project is now, is it? :)

I will, however, wish you a good festive holiday. Try to relax and stop worrying about Star Citizen. You'll only make yourself ill if you carry on upsetting yourself over something you have no control over. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:09 am
I was considering replying to the text of your post, ResultsMayDiffer, but you continue to insult people so I've decided not to bother.
Probably a wise move. You wouldn't stand a snowball's chance as I'm sitting on 6-7 years of footage evidencing CIG's inability to deliver. All you have is hopes and dreams.

It's never happening because backers weren't willing to hold the companies feet to the fire and CIG wouldn't listen to them anyway.

RMD, what is it to you that others are deluded?

I'm not invested in SC at all, if/when it comes out and is great, I'll probably play it and enjoy it. If not, I don't really care, I've invested nothing, lost nothing, just so you know that I'm an impartial outside observer.

However, looking at it from their side, there are a couple things which could reasonably give people the expectation of great things coming.

First, everyone knows that Games take a long time to develop, and the more ambitious the game, the longer it will probably take, and Star Citizen is arguably among the most ambitious games ever conceived, so that it's taking a long time to deliver is par the course. Even if its experiencing delays, that's also fairly common, and not necessarily a reason to think everything is doomed and the whole thing is smoke and mirrors.

Second, I have loosely followed SC development, and from what I've seen, there is a stream of new content over the last few years, and having watched his keynote (the one with the procedural city gen thing), it's clear that work is in fact being done and progress is being made. Perhaps not the progress that was expected or promised, but its totally reasonable to believe that SC is closer to release today than it was yesterday, closer to release than it was last week, closer to release than it was last month, though to be fair, it could still take a long time, perhaps years before the initial promises made are fully realized.

Third, if the game is released in pieces, each new piece offering more than existed before, expanding on what there is to see and do, there are really 2 main ways to do this: 1, you could fully complete 1 section, release it, move onto the next, fully complete that, move on to the next... 2, you could release a number of sections, some more complete than others, including some that are quite barebones "technically" functional, then the next release, that same section would have more functionality, but may still be incomplete for several more updates, however it would eventually be complete, as would many other sections that were developed alongside it.... And this second method seems more suited to testing interdependencies between sections of the game imho.

But, youre right, NEW SHIP! BUY NOW, PLAY LATER! is a fairly dodgy method of maintaining hype, and is a very fair criticism of their PR and development decisions. I always thought the idea of selling ships like they have was insane, but hey, it's not my money, who am I to tell people that buying virtual ships for a virtual world that doesn't even exist yet is dumb?

As to the lawsuits? I have no idea how significant a threat they are to the game's development. As to the "cultish" devotion, there is a thing called the sunk cost fallacy, that probably applies here, to a degree.

However, you're rude to people, and that will make pretty much anyone less willing to hear what you have to say, regardless of the validity of your points, so no wonder you dont get anywhere with your arguments
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now