Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Josh] Monday, December 4, 2017

Hyperion wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:29 pm

Thank you Hyperion for the most excellent level of hype :D I'm glad you're as excited about the possibilities as me. As others have already said, yes to everything you said (...except the first thing. I think LReid may take objection to that ;V). You can load whatever files you like, images can be loaded very easily the engine's texture API, models can be loaded as .objs thanks to Adam's obj loader, etc etc. If you have data that isn't natively supported by the engine, of course you can always just use the raw file access APIs to read it yourself if you understand the file format (the engine file API has convenient functions for reading binary fields single-datatype-at-a-time). Virtually anything is possible depending on how much effort you're willing to put in, and as usual, the good news is that we've already tried to make everything as easy as possible :) If you want to define manual systems, generator types, unique planets, space elevators, Dyson spheres, etc. etc. it is all just a matter of finding the right place to inject the right piece of code using your mod.

LindseyReid wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:35 pm
Beta will be moddable, but we will not integrate user mods into 1.0. MyNameWuzTaken & Cornflakes, please forgive me X0

Just wanted to re-iterate and elaborate on this. We will use the beta as an opportunity to test everything, including the mod system, HOWEVER (and I have said this before), beta modders must operate with the understanding that the 1.0 release modding API is NOT guaranteed to be (and almost certainly will not be) backwards-compatible with beta mods. After release, I will make every effort to ensure that subsequent versions break no or as few mods as possible. Again, the understanding for beta will be "give modding a thorough test-drive, but don't spend ALL your energy making beta mods, because we still want you to mod at release!" This will be made abundantly clear to modders at beta time.

Flatfingers wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:06 am
Thank you Flat, your approval of high-level decisions always bring me some comfort :D Appreciate the feedback. It is going to be very fun indeed :squirrel:
Victor Tombs wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:49 am
I've just returned from a few days away from my reclusive surroundings to find you had posted a dev log, Josh. By far my favourite part of this post was "Side-Soliloquy: Why So Much Concern for Moddability?" The hidden part was a joy to read! :D

Thanks for some inspiring stuff! :D :thumbup: :angel:

Excellent! Happy to hear from you Victor, I'm glad you've not given up on me delivering that Freelancer 2 despite so many gratuitous technical ramblings :oops: :lol: Now that I think of it, I'm going to add "Freelancer Universe for LT" mod to my mental list of 'most-anticipated future mods'...it would be very refreshing to return to Planet Manhattan to do something other than drop off cardamine and alien artifacts... :shifty:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

On another note, mini-update:

Mods are now working and have quite a lot of functionality already. The examples I gave in this log work and I've got some test mods all working correctly. The core features are mostly there, with some exceptions for advanced things like dependencies between mods, versioning, etc. But already I can tell it's going to be really nice building things this way...Lua already feels like cheating sometimes; the LT mod format only amplifies the feeling ten fold :geek:

I have yet to write all existing gameplay as mods, but am working on that right now and it's the primary goal -- to vet the mod system with our current gameplay, and then plow right on into implementing new features!

At any rate, I don't think I have quite enough to share yet for a log (other than...'it works!'), but I'll be getting one out very soon, pending just a little more to share :) I anticipate a flurry of progress this week :monkey:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:56 pm
On another note, mini-update:

Mods are now working and have quite a lot of functionality already. The examples I gave in this log work and I've got some test mods all working correctly. The core features are mostly there, with some exceptions for advanced things like dependencies between mods, versioning, etc. But already I can tell it's going to be really nice building things this way...Lua already feels like cheating sometimes; the LT mod format only amplifies the feeling ten fold :geek:

I have yet to write all existing gameplay as mods, but am working on that right now and it's the primary goal -- to vet the mod system with our current gameplay, and then plow right on into implementing new features!

At any rate, I don't think I have quite enough to share yet for a log (other than...'it works!'), but I'll be getting one out very soon, pending just a little more to share :) I anticipate a flurry of progress this week :monkey:
yay it works \o/
i'll be more excited once we see how it works for more complex interactions and replace-type mods :V

JoshParnell wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:56 pm
Yes! you should do like Taleworlds did, and make Vanilla a mod! Then we can use the core engine to do entirely different things! :D

It'd also let you build MorrowJosh on the same core engine. :3
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

JoshParnell wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:46 pm
Excellent! Happy to hear from you Victor, I'm glad you've not given up on me delivering that Freelancer 2 despite so many gratuitous technical ramblings :oops: :lol: Now that I think of it, I'm going to add "Freelancer Universe for LT" mod to my mental list of 'most-anticipated future mods'...it would be very refreshing to return to Planet Manhattan to do something other than drop off cardamine and alien artifacts... :shifty:
:D It's always good to read about your ongoing progress towards that Freelancer 2 game I've been dreaming of since the beginning of LT, Josh. I'm not likely to give up on you now or anytime soon and I'm comfortable with your technical ramblings which I don't consider to be gratuitous. I know there are many backers and members who find the technical content to be as interesting as I find your non-technical ramblings to be. :angel:

And you're still doing that Manhatten run. You and your cardamine smuggling. :lol:

Damocles wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:18 pm
Will you also offer a basic networking api, such as a TCP socket?

That would allow a whole range of options (from online capabilities to running logic outside of the LT Engine)
He has already given us network capabilities, and even used them himself as a test to prove that they work.
Don't worry, the LT Multiplayer Mod is highest on my priority list for post release. :P
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now