Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, December 1, 2017

Talvieno wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:17 am
JFSOCC wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:13 am
I'm looking for the upvote button.
We actually considered putting in some kind of "upvote button" capability, but decided against it for various reasons.
Damn, I want upticks on the forums. That'd be neat. :D
Would mean we don't have to post saying "nice" to things, we can just updoot.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

I am a bit late in reading this devlog :ghost:

I must say, while I had some concerns about the artistic direction of LT (being cubes and such), they've been totally alleviated now. It seems that the system that's being built here would allow a huge variety of stations, ranging from semi-realistic down-to-business Freelancer-like designs to totally insane alien lairs liberally sprinkled with spikes o' doom and shape-colour combinations that call for immediate application of the eye bleach :ghost:

So everybody will find their little slice of heaven with it :angel:

Simply awesome.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

outlander wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:51 am
I am a bit late in reading this devlog :ghost:

I must say, while I had some concerns about the artistic direction of LT (being cubes and such), they've been totally alleviated now. It seems that the system that's being built here would allow a huge variety of stations, ranging from semi-realistic down-to-business Freelancer-like designs to totally insane alien lairs liberally sprinkled with spikes o' doom and shape-colour combinations that call for immediate application of the eye bleach :ghost:

So everybody will find their little slice of heaven with it :angel:

Simply awesome.
I'm glad to hear it ^^

Personally, I am VERY EXCITED ABOUT SPIKES o' DOOM.
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

Talvieno wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:17 am
JFSOCC wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:13 am
I'm looking for the upvote button.
We actually considered putting in some kind of "upvote button" capability, but decided against it for various reasons.
Yeah, I think the best way to avoid groupthink and brigading is to limit forum interaction to posting your thoughts. Nevertheless, I felt I needed to express my appreciation :)

I've suggested it before, but I think the BBC documentary "The Secret Life of Chaos" shows what cool things can happen with coupling. Order from chaos...

ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:35 pm
Everyone jumping up and down saying this is great news makes me sick. Dev posts barely resemble game development anymore; this update in particular flaunts a couple abstract art screenshots and gets huge positive reaction. Unreal.
in a game which is a very large chunk of procedural geometry generation... its very cool, considering that we didnt get any interesting news on ship designs in years before that.

ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:35 pm
Everyone jumping up and down saying this is great news makes me sick. Dev posts barely resemble game development anymore; this update in particular flaunts a couple abstract art screenshots and gets huge positive reaction. Unreal.
Well, unlike you, people understand that you don't you don't go from nothing to ships in a week or 3 and that a solid and well working geometric functionbase is vital for that.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

As promised, a tutorial on procedural greebles, and a tutorial on tessellation and triangulation! ^^

ALSO, I made huge progress with ships this week... ;0

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

indeed, huge progress on ships :shock:

Nice tutorial on greebles, thank you. I am actually working on grebes as well for my 3D models (see LTFC) and I actually used the same technique as you did. However, somehow, this is not satisfying. So I made a first improvement:
large surfaces have no greebles, while localised surfaces have a very fine level of details. This looks more realistic as actually you have a protective hull, but here and there some structure that have a function that require them to look out of the hull. This make a first significant improvement in my opinion. So basically making different level of details at different locations.
The next step would be to procedurally generate structure that seem to have an internal logic. For example structures linked with pipes, or array of structures connected to some larger item like several plants connected to a huge generator, and so on. I am not coming that far, as within vue I cannot generate procedural geometries (only procedural displacement maps).
Anyway, keep going, the progresses are stunning!

Thank y'all so much for the kind words ^^ <333
CSE wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:33 pm
Nice tutorial on greebles, thank you. I am actually working on grebes as well for my 3D models (see LTFC) and I actually used the same technique as you did. However, somehow, this is not satisfying. So I made a first improvement:
large surfaces have no greebles, while localised surfaces have a very fine level of details. This looks more realistic as actually you have a protective hull, but here and there some structure that have a function that require them to look out of the hull. This make a first significant improvement in my opinion. So basically making different level of details at different locations.
The next step would be to procedurally generate structure that seem to have an internal logic. For example structures linked with pipes, or array of structures connected to some larger item like several plants connected to a huge generator, and so on. I am not coming that far, as within vue I cannot generate procedural geometries (only procedural displacement maps).
Anyway, keep going, the progresses are stunning!
Omg, I love your "Beauty" submission XD Those are some nice greebles indeed! Localizing greebles sounds like a great idea, I'll have to try that out.

- Stephen Sondheim

Silverware wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:23 pm
LindseyReid wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:43 am
ALSO, I made huge progress with ships this week... ;0
ALL HAIL QUEEN LINDSEY!
Thank you very much for linking this!

Lindsey, these ship designs are amazing. Hands down far better than what other games put out. With the correct texturing these ships are really going to come to life. Well done! I'm very impressed.

Online Now