Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

Cha0zz wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:11 pm
Triggerhappy wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:47 am
"I forget. How are their names spelled? Does not matter. Its the thought that counts, да?."
'Ooh Ooh'
'Bob knows'
'Bob knows'

'G E A R H E D'

'M I R A N D A'

*Happy Bob*
"Yes, that sounds about right. Thank you, Bob.
When we get back to the Nemesis, we will hold a memorial service for our dear friends (and minor heroes of our first mission): Gearhed and Miranda.
I only wish I had known them longer. Sadly, I cannot choose when I'll inspire others to greatness."
Breaker of fortune cookies

"Brom and Lemons, not only are you tactically challenged, you're also very presumptuous that I would put myself on the line for either of you."

"Moving together is an absolutely terrible idea! You're allowing the fighters to give chase to a higher density of our own."
((The following is written with 4 enemies in mind, if it's not I'll need to revise this. So Tal would appreciate you didn't do the next turn before letting me know if there are actually more than 4! (Also there aren't any actions so I'd rather not die on the first turn!)))

"We should burn to the nearby ridge and lay low, half of us going dark and the rest moving towards the farthest objective. Once they cross the ridge, those of us hiding can engage the fighters while the rest either keep flying if being chased or double back and engage them."
"Of course, on the chance that they have readily available reinforcements, this isn't a particularly good idea but we're not exactly swimming in intel here."
"Cho, what are your thoughts? You have the best vantage after all."
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

((There are four. Cho already gave her thoughts. And, no, I can't postpone the turns, not after I've already posted in the main thread that I'll be locking it today. Leaving it open now would set a bad precedent, and rules are rules. I could perhaps permit four days instead of three in the future, but this turn has to be three. On a different topic: I'm going to let Lemons and Brom's roleplay stand - we'll say Gearhead left after everyone else did.))
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

TURN 1

Map
Spoiler:      SHOW
Lemons, Brom, Miles, Buck
Triggerhappy wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:15 pm
Try to determine what kind of ships the enemies are coming in on, and what weapons it looks like they have.
Maneuver lower and east to place the squad between me and the hostiles ( without ramming said squad during the maneuver ), and rush forward heading north-east.

"I propose we head to the point between A and C. As a group. Split there."

Burn full speed to J-7.
Hema wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:24 pm
Triggerhappy wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:15 pm
"I propose we head to the point between A and C. As a group. Split there."
"You're fast, Lemons. I came up with that idea myself only five seconds before you did.
I was however preoccupied with planning for the mission ahead, and so was unable to say anything."
*To the squad*
"I'd love to stick around and entertain our friends here, but we've got business to attend to.
Everyone follow me to J-7, and keep an eye out for squids."

Take off full speed towards the bottom left corner of J-7, and try not to look down unless necessary.
If I encounter any enemies, attempt to evade their attacks if possible.
Should evasion be impractical, fire once on one of attacking enemies with my railgun.
Detritus wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:19 pm
Follow Brom.

Evade enemy fire.
Hapchazzard wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:05 am
While fidgeting with the controls, trying to figure out what the heck is what:
"What was that? Where we goin'? Ah, I'll just follow the rest of ya."
Go in the same direction as Brom and Lemons, try and keep up (in other words, go to point I7 while trying not to get too separated from my teammates)
Try and make turns at comfortable speeds (I don't want to end up dying in the beginning by crashing into a ridge or something)
Take a shot with the microwave at an enemy if it gets too close (no more than once)
Lemons, Brom, Miles, and Buck take off at top speed, headed for a distant, rocky outcropping twelve kilometers away. Trigger sneaks a look back at them, but can't really tell anything of note, other than that they seem VERY well equipped and are shaped rather oddly, compared to conventional human fighters: one large, bulbous fuselage with a smaller turreted pod off to the side.

It isn't long before the group reaches the ridge. The enemies have fallen far behind, and Alpha is safe.

Bob, Frank, Caleb, Saoirse, Gearhed
cuisinart8 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:12 pm
Dear FSM, of course something had to go wrong. This is a good sign of things to come, huh? I was at least hoping the mission would wait a bit to go into the toilet, but oh well. At least we still have the AA guns if we really get in a scrape. Otherwise, I'm happy to follow Frank for the moment. Might as well let someone else deal with these chumps and get the hell to the objective.

I turn the engines on full burn and fly as fast as I can towards the border between G-8 and G-9.
If the enemy ships catch up, I attempt to evade them in low-altitude turns.
If evasion doesn't work, I attempt to engage one in a turning battle, firing at it once with my laser.

The engines press me back into my seat as they propel the ship forward at a precipitous pace. I suddenly remember why I always hated orbital maneuvers and air combat...
Let's hope this works. I mumble a quick prayer to the FSM, as we usually did in the PDF. I was never especially religious, but we figured if it gave us more luck, we might as well.
F4wk35 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:31 am
This Cho-Girl is completely mad!
They weren't supposed to know you were coming, but it's too late for that now.
Oh no! Oh no no no nonononononono! Dusty one aid me!

Scream/whimper unarticulated at a low volume.
Fly as fast as possible to the border between G8 and G9.
Keep on doing evasive maneuvers and stay low to the ground.
Arriving at said destination, take a sharp turn to the south.
Try to find and use a temporary hide-out.
Ready the Microwave-field-manipulator
Fire it at the first enemy peaking into the hideout

((Now there's to hope that I can get them off my tail, or at least in front of my CASKET :ghost: ))
Cha0zz wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:06 am
"You no be scared Mr. Frank"
"Bob-Boss protect squad."

"Saoirse-Boss should stay with Bob-Boss too "

Bob follows Frank.
While following, use the turreted particle gun to fire a shot at the nearest enemy.
Once we arrive at the hideout/ come to a standstill, turn around, face the enemies and fire my laser towards an enemy that seems to come in our direction.
If no enemy is coming in our direction, just fire at the nearest one.

When I hit an enemy, say "look Jimmy, when you become a big teddybear that's how you fight mean guys"
Dinosawer wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:19 pm
"Evil bad enemies? That sounds kinda bad!"
I full throttle forward and follow Bob.
While flying, I plug in my ship's PSI ports.
When shot at, I dodge by using my PSI to make my ship do an evasive spinny thingy.
(( No one used that mechanic since GTD mission 1, but I assume it still exists :ghost: ))
If we are still pursued when nearing the destination, I fire a bubble and direct it towards the most menacing looking enemy, while shouting "BUBBLES!"
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:07 pm
form up with bob
take a potshot with the forceps laser if something comes in range

"sacrifice? remember? what kind of stupid are you guys? some of you just about dont touch the hangar floor anymore. if someone were to be sacrified it would be you slowpokes"

((when you break RP to lash out at me dont expect me to go along with you ... ))
Squad Beta leaves behind Alpha, flying to the edge of the right-hand ridge. Except for Caleb, everyone turns the corner, hoping to lie in wait and ambush the enemies when they come around. Caleb stays behind to watch - and in doing so, sees that one enemy pilot is still following behind at top speed. It fires a shot, but it's inaccurate enough at such range that it misses Caleb completely. Far in the distance, a dark corkscrew of smoke spirals toward the ground.

Miranda
Black--Snow wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:16 am
"Brom and Lemons, not only are you tactically challenged, you're also very presumptuous that I would put myself on the line for either of you."

"Moving together is an absolutely terrible idea! You're allowing the fighters to give chase to a higher density of our own."
((The following is written with 4 enemies in mind, if it's not I'll need to revise this. So Tal would appreciate you didn't do the next turn before letting me know if there are actually more than 4! (Also there aren't any actions so I'd rather not die on the first turn!)))

"We should burn to the nearby ridge and lay low, half of us going dark and the rest moving towards the farthest objective. Once they cross the ridge, those of us hiding can engage the fighters while the rest either keep flying if being chased or double back and engage them."
"Of course, on the chance that they have readily available reinforcements, this isn't a particularly good idea but we're not exactly swimming in intel here."
"Cho, what are your thoughts? You have the best vantage after all."
[01:49:12] <Black--Snow> Tal won't kill me
[01:49:20] <Black--Snow> Probably be an ass though. :V
[01:50:04] <Black--Snow> I'm just annoyed because I'm trying to play but I've been super busy literally the week REKT decided to start
[01:50:23] <Black--Snow> It all finishes tomorrow but I've missed the turn because I too busy to check today before he locked it
[01:50:47] <Black--Snow> I can really only hope that he pities me and makes Miranda do what she suggested
[01:50:51] <Black--Snow> That would be best case
[01:52:08] <Hema> What did you suggest, Snow?
[01:52:31] <Black--Snow> That people hide in the ridge and hit the enemies from the behind when they fly over
[01:52:43] <Black--Snow> Because you and Trigger basically said to fly in a straight line in a group. :V
The rest of your platoon flies off to the northeast. You remain behind. Plasma flashes past your ship; one of the fighters breaks off and gives chase to your allies. "Moving together is an absolutely terrible idea!" you shout at them. "You're allowing the fighters to give chase to a higher density of our own. We should burn to the nearby ridge and lay low - half of us going dark, and the rest moving toward the farthest objective. Once they cross the ridge, those of us hiding can engage the fighters while the rest either keep flying if being chased, or double back and engage them." You think for a moment. "Of course, we aren't exactly swimming in intel here. Cho, what are your thoughts?"

"Run!" Cho shouts at you over the comms. "I said to run! You can't take them on your own, these are advanced fighters! Your CASKET can't handle a firefight like this - they'll overwhelm you!"

But you aren't listening. You've hardly heard half of what she's said; you're busy putting your plan into action. "Brom and Lemons," you announce, as you turn your ship northwards towards the ridge, "You're very presumptuous that I would put myself on the line for either... of you..." your voice trails off to a whisper as you realize that not only have the enemy fighters already topped the ridge, but three of them are targeting you specifically. You're only target still in the area.

You begin to fear the worst.

There's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. Even if you flew away to the southern ridge, their height advantage would permit them to catch up as you gained altitude. Your only hope is to try to make them chicken out - at least long enough for Kendall's REKT squad to arrive. You aim upwards and fire your particle gun - the rapid ptom-ptom-ptom spools up to a whir of noise; but you miss. They're just too agile, and you're out of time. You duck down and try to fly under them.

An explosion rips apart the left side of your ship - alarms screech in the cockpit; your canopy cracks. Searing jets of gas spew out onto your window - just as another bolt smashes into your right robotic arm, ripping it completely clean of the chassis in less than an eye-blink. A laser carves a dark gash across your hull, around the cockpit towards the back; your engines begin sputtering. You glance upwards as the craft flies over you in a flash - just long enough to see how it's put together. The main fuselage has its own guns, but there's a smaller pod over on the side with a second pilot - or a gunner - a pod whose weapons are completely turreted. Suddenly you realize, only too late, that it wouldn't have mattered if you hid behind the ridge. They could've killed you just as easily with that turret.

Another shot rips open the front of your CASKET - the arti-grav dies, and the force of the explosion causes you to knock your head hard against the back of your chair. Another explosion behind you, and your controls die, followed by your hissing engines. Your canopy, ripped clean from its mounts, disappears. The ground creeps into your vision as your ship rolls into a slow, dead tumble, belching a corkscrew of thick black smoke.

"Oh no," Cho groans. "I said to run! Why didn't you run??"

In your last moments, you ponder her question, eerily calm. The answer is simple: You didn't think the mission would be this dangerous. It's obvious, now, why she told you to flee: even all ten of you likely wouldn't have been able to take down those four fighters without incurring more losses than you dealt.

As the sandy dirt of Nanyej rushes up to greet you, the world turns bright plasma-pink; the last projectile closes in.

At least your death will be quick.

((I know this is a bit abrupt and unexpected for you, but I honestly didn't have much of a choice, and their firepower was overwhelming. I did do rolls, though.))

"Okay, so, Miranda is dead," Cho says, her voice laden with static. She's doing her best to stay cheerful. "I told her to run, but she didn't listen. That's okay, though! We still have nine. Maybe we'll be able to get someone else out there! If we do, I'll try to send them out to you when it's safe.

Alpha - you guys are getting pretty deep into enemy territory, but as long as you're within range of each other, and at least one person is within range of the Nemesis, I can have your friends relay comm traffic. Stay safe out there, guys! Don't underestimate the enemy!"
There's a pause. "Beta, you still have one on your tail. If all of you work together, you may be able to take him down without any casualties - or you might be able to escape, if you hurry."
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

"Damn, slow the hell down, fellas! My piece o' junk ship can't go no faster than this."
Hearing Cho announce Miranda's death
"Huh? She's from our squad? Well, that makes the four of us, this is gonna be fun. So, what ya say? Over the ridge or around?"
To myself:"Darn... Why didn't I ask that robot voice back on the ship for some booze to bring?"

"Alpha squad, as you know, we have already lost a squad member to enemy fire.
Miranda was a good soldier, who has gone as far as to sacrifice her life so we could reach our objective without having to deal with those fighters.
When we get back to the Nemesis, I will host a memorial party for her, and I want all of you to attend! We will be able to mourn her loss properly!
At this moment, we have to make her sacrifice count. We've got another lavish party to attend, and it's just over that ridge! We will pay the enemy back ten-fold for their actions today."
Triggerhappy wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:28 pm
"Let's scout. Over the ridge. Shorter travel. See what the have prepared."
"I was thinking the same thing, Lemons. We'll have less of a risk of running into my more crazy fans if we fly over the ridge.
We should try to aim for the center of J-6. That should give us a decent view of our objective, as well as provide us a decent place to fight should we run into squids. As usual, keep an eye out for my fans, they're everywhere. If you see any approaching, open fire.

One more thing, Buck seems to be having some trouble with his engines. We should try to allow him to catch up with us."

"Beta squad, we are at this moment down one squad member, as one of ours broke off to distract the enemy. If you could, please send a temporary replacement from your squad to support us. If you help, then I, Brom Keegan will owe you one. And I always make good on my debts."
Last edited by Hema on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cho wrote:
"Run!" "I said to run! You can't take them on your own, these are advanced fighters! Your CASKET can't handle a firefight like this - they'll overwhelm you!"

"Okay, so, Miranda is dead,"

.......May be able to take him down without any casualties - or you might be able to escape, if you hurry."
Dead? Already?? Dead??!

"Bu- but...Lass didn't even last for most of 2 minutes!! No way we ca- can take them head-on! Not even one!"

Rush over to the border between H9 and I9
Find and use a hideout
If the hiltorel craft flies by, looks into the hideout or is engaged in battle with people from Beta.
-fly out and hit it with the microwave manipulator.
-find and use cover nearby to get at least some protection from their weapons.
Last edited by F4wk35 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Hema wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:42 pm
Miranda was a good soldier, who has gone as far as to sacrifice her life so we could reach our objective without having to deal with those fighters.
When we get back to the Nemesis, I will host a memorial party for her, and I want all of you to attend! We will be able to mourn her loss properly!
At this moment, we have to make her sacrifice count. We've got another lavish party to attend, and it's just over that ridge! We will pay the enemy back ten-fold for their actions today."
Triggerhappy wrote:
"I was thinking the same thing, Lemons. We'll have less of a risk of running into my more crazy fans if we fly over the ridge.
We should try to aim for the center of J-6. That should give us a decent view of our objective, as well as provide us a decent place to fight should we run into squids. As usual, keep an eye out for my fans, they're everywhere. If you see any approaching, open fire.

One more thing, Buck seems to be having some trouble with his engines. We should try to allow him to catch up with us."

"Beta squad, we are at this moment down one squad member, as one of ours broke off to distract the enemy. If possible, I ask that you please send a temporary replacement from your squad while the Nemesis gets another soldier out here. If you help, then I, Brom Keegan will owe you one. And I always make good on my debts."
"You've got fans too, mister? I know what it's like, I've got 'em too back on my planet too! Lemons, you have any fans?"
Last edited by Hapchazzard on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hapchazzard wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:58 pm
Hema wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:42 pm
Triggerhappy wrote:

"Beta squad, we are at this moment down one squad member, as one of ours broke off to distract the enemy. If possible, I ask that you please send a temporary replacement from your squad while the Nemesis gets another soldier out of cryo. If you help, then I, Brom Keegan will owe you one. And I always make good on my debts."
"You've got fans too, mister? I know what it's like, I've got 'em to back on my planet too! Lemons, you have any fans?"
"Of course I have fans, good sir. You're talking to one of the most well known and respected hitmen this side of the galaxy.
Brom Keegan! The legendary assassin of Ermhelm. Back in the day, the ladies would swoon in my presence. Children would come up and tell me how I was their hero. The community as a whole looked up to me! Yes, I am the celebrity.

Why do you have fans, Buck?"
Last edited by Hema on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Online Now