Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, November 10, 2017

jarl wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:57 am
Hi Lindsey, good to see some screenshots of your work, will you be doing procedural texturing as well as geometry? If so do you have ideas how this will work? I remember we had a fun discussion ages ago about how numbers from the procedurally generated faction/ai could determine things down to the colour of the weapon effects, lights and even the HUD of captured ships and it's interesting to see you mentioning this in the update.
We will indeed! Josh has already written a system for procedural texturing that we've yet to completely bring in to this version of LT, but we plan to do so at some point in the near future. When we do, I'll definitely write about how it works in the devlog here :)
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

Der_Foe wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:10 am
I am actually curious about what (procedural?) UI you'll cook up.
Adam is working on UI! You'll have to ask him :)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

Distant wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am
Well this took me a long time, sorry for the delay! Here's my video review for those who enjoy it: https://youtu.be/NO9Bm-qhSGo
YAY!!! (hits notification button)

Baile nam Fonn wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:00 am
Miklos wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:50 am
Lies, Josh would never delegate the shiny UI stuff :D
Used to be Josh would never delegate, period.
Seems he's a changed man, and I'm not complainin'. ;)
Correct! I don't know exactly how he's splitting up UI appearance & functionality, so you'll have to ask Adam and Josh.

- Stephen Sondheim

As long as Adam implements something like the UI from LT Development Update Video #10, that's fine.

;)

Seriously, that data editor visual rendering model remains jaw-dropping. It's not an accident that the "unfolding" connected data objects was what several journalists keyed on in what was a dev video absolutely filled with extraordinary stuff.

No, I don't really expect to see that again anywhere in LT. (And certainly not in the HUD UI, which I assume is what everyone is thinking of when they say "user interface.") And I want Adam to be free (within Josh's functional constraints and Lindsey's aesthetics) to dream up his own UI solutions.

But dang. That visually dynamic data editor from Video #10 was otherworldly.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:29 am
Flatfingers wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:36 pm
As long as Adam implements something like the UI from LT Development Update Video #10, that's fine.
so completely useless but nice to look at interfaces?
I think we are all hoping for something that is as useful as it is pretty. Obviously not everything is going to be laid out in a node based editor, but for the things that make sense (data that is naturally hierarchical) it would be nice to have a beautiful interface, that is also functional.
A life well lived only happens once.
Seems deep until you think about it.

Online Now