Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: The Nemesis (Battlecarrier)

Finish eating.

If I have trash from my meal, carefully put any and all food trash into one neat pile, with emphasis on easy carrying.
Get up and dispose of the trash in the nearest garbage bin.

Re-assess the room. Check if the tables and chairs are still thrown about.
If they are, go to the counter and ask Brenna if I can help right the tables and chairs,
otherwise, go to the counter and ask Brenna if I can help with anything.
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Update for the good REKTizens! I think things are actually beginning to wind down, apart from people talking to each other.

Buck
Spoiler:      SHOW
Hapchazzard wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:49 am
Buck's mind suddenly veers off in a different direction and, realizing that he isn't likely to find out any more about his current predicament, decides to go looking for one of the few people he vaguely knows on the ship for company.
To the person I was talking to: "Uh-huh." Glances at his hand, as if he has a watch(he doesn't) "Thanks for the help, m'am, you've been mighty helpful. I've got some important business to be attendin' to now. I'll be on my way, then."
Try and find Lemons(since my character doesn't know his name, but remembers his appearance and the fact that they were in the tryout together, he'd first try asking SCAMPS about his whereabouts and, if that fails, asking the occasional random person whether they've seen such a person)
if I manage to find him, address him enthusiastically: "Howdy, partner! Remember me?" ((This should be at the end of his turn as well, naturally))
"Uh-huh..." you say, no longer interested in the conversation. "Thanks for the help, ma'am, you've been mighty helpful. I've got some important business to be attendin' to now. I'll be on my way, then."

You leave the battle bridge - and your empty mediwater bottle - and head out to look for your pal from VR. If you know your friend like you think you do, you expect to find him at one of two places: the labs, or the hangar. You've already visited the labs, so hangar seems the obvious choice.

((gave you an intuition roll. 5.))

~~~

It isn't long before you find your way to the hangar - and there, lo and behold, is your friend! And he's right in the middle of a huge group of engineers.

...actually, everyone looks pretty mad at him. A few guys are even pointing guns in his face. Fortunately, someone moves in and breaks everybody up, so you head over. "Howdy, partner! Remember me?"

Caleb
cuisinart8 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:39 am
Well, that cleared up a lot of things...and raised more questions as well. Sadly, not the kind that I can (or particularly want to try) get answers to from the computers here- never know where the bastard is that put us in this mess, after all. Fukc, this is going to suck. Bad enough that we're out here with a few thousand aliens who would like nothing more than to tear us limb from limb, but we also have some dumbass working with them, like they'd spare the guy after they finished with us! What a damn mess. I'll have to keep an eye out for the guy, and maybe warn some of the more trustworthy-seeming inmates to be on the lookout as well. Having little better to do at this point, I find myself wandering over to the armory to make sure they don't screw my weapon loadout up. Not for the first time, I find myself wishing sorely for some of the men from my old unit- the logistics guys we had along were practically magicians in how they had exactly what you needed, almost before you knew you needed it. Hopefully the guys here are at least competent...

I head over for the armory to make sure my equipment orders got processed correctly- no telling how mucked up everything is from the crash and the fact that I was in cryo for a couple of decades...
You briefly consider heading over to the computers... but decide not to. There's no telling where the mole is. Clearly, the mole is absolutely 100% willing to die along with the rest of you - and probably expected it. With that in mind, it's completely possible that the mole is already dead... but you have a gut feeling that the mole is still alive. You also have a gut feeling that the mole is probably someone relatively important. After all, for the mole to breach security like they clearly did, they must have some degree of respect from their (unknowing) crewmates. You doubt it's just a grunt.

~~~

You soon find that there are handy terminals for checking out your gear loadout just inside the armory. Most of them are off (according to a guard, due to power shortages), but you're soon able to pull it up and check out your loadout.
  • Mounted Laser
  • Plasma Rifle
  • Gauss Shotgun
  • Electrorifle
  • Painkillers
  • Coagulent Boosters

Lemons
Triggerhappy wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:03 pm
Look around for anyone in need of some muscle power or technical help, or anyone at all in need of any help ( even if it involves helping with a CASKET, I am an engineer damnit I can figure it out ).
Approach and silently start to help them. More work less talk!

(( Sorry to disappoint everyone, I am not ready to die by charisma roll yet. Not yet ready to start combat against the entire ship either...))
You look around for anyone in need of muscle power. Fortunately, after a bit of pacing back and forth across the hangar, you find someone lugging a tool box that's a bit too heavy for him. You run over and pick it up for the guy - a none-too-attractive engineer that looks like he's already losing his hair at 25. He gives you a nod of thanks, and you carry it over to the CASKET he's working on. He points to the ground; you set down the toolkit. The man gives you another awkward nod of thanks, clearly uncomfortable, and gets to work. He seems to relax after he's been working for a few minutes.

You notice him pause. "I need the - " He's asking for a certain size of wrench. You were watching and already have it in hand. He seems pleased, and takes it from you. "Mastan," he mutters, and then clears his throat. Louder: "I'm Mastan. Thanks for helping out." Mastan seems somewhat socially anxious. You don't bother him as he continues working. He motions for another tool; you swap it out for him.

There's a lengthy pause in which he doesn't ask for anything. Idly, you start looking around for something else to do, and notice that some of the plates on the front of the CASKET are loose could use welded down. You pick up a microwelder and get to work. This turns out to be a bad idea.

Your new friend Mastan yells at you - and suddenly there's shouts from all around you. To your horror, a swarm of angry engineers are descending on you. You back up from the vehicle, holding up your hands in an "I'm innocent" gesture, still remaining completely silent. One of the engineers wrestles the microwelder from your hands, while you stare down the rifles held by a few armed guards. There's a lot of shouting, but you get the gist of it: REKT inmates are not permitted to work on CASKETs.

"What's all this, then?" you hear. You turn slightly, which causes the engineers to back away, and the guards to shout at you, re-leveling their weapons. The speaker turns out to be an old, grizzled man with a massive scar on his face that twists a corner of his mouth into a permanent frown. "What's the holdup over here? And who are you?" The engineers present seem to hold a lot of respect for him, but quickly inform him of what happened. "What are you, stupid?" he asks you. You don't answer; you remain silent. There's a pause of several seconds between every sentence he speaks. "You mute? Maybe you are stupid? Do you see any other prisoners working on CASKETs? You looking to get shot? Get out of here, son, you're holding up work." To everyone else: "Keep an eye on him, but get back to work. Do you think we have the time to crowd around every fool that comes down here?"

And then, as if on cue, who should show up but your friend from cryo - Buck! "Howdy, partner!" he says with a wave. "Remember me?"

Frank
F4wk35 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:39 am
Frank looks at the token with a slightly puzzled expression, trying to figure out the meaning of it.

REKT? Antez said something about me being there...and SCAMPS...I think he mentioned that too, in the beginning...I think...that's...some kind of currency for a number of prisoners of Tartarus...I think it's about the equipment they can take with them...I'll ask about it at the armory when I have time...And after I returned those tools to Antez.

His brain seems it neccessary to remind him that he got out of cryo just a short time back, so all Frank can do is flashing Brenna a grateful, but still slightly puzzled smile.

"I-...Thank you, Brenna! Thank you, really. But...right now I'm not completely sure about what exactly this is. Seems like my memories aren't all that much on top of things as I thought...And, please. You don't have to go through all that, I'm just doing my part in trying to get away from this planet in one piece preferably, no? So please, just keep up the good work you do here. There are people trying to defend the ship, others to coordinate the struggles throughout it, people who are trying to fix it to the best of their abilities with the materials at hand. Just...just give them a break from that here, in the mess-hall, you do another important part in all this. And I'm just a janitor they pulled out of cryo, based on arbitrary reasoning. You're doing a great job here, Brenna. Just keep it up, for our sake, yes?"

Closing his hand around the token, Frank reaches around with his other arm to give Brenna a short hug.
He then slips the token into a pocket inconspicuously.
You ask Brenna what the bit of plastic is.

"It's..." Brenna looks at you strangely, like she doesn't quite believe you. The smile fades from her face, and she starts to frown. "It's a REKT cred," she says, as though it should be obvious. "You exchange it for gear." She's not sure whether you're pulling her leg. "Anyway, I do have my job here. If it wasn't for you it'd probably be hours or even days before the lights and pipes were fixed up, so I'm grateful."

You nod, and slip the token into your pocket inconspicuously.

Bob
Cha0zz wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:12 pm
Bob interprets Saoirse's silence as a sign that he is allowed to leave.

Bob puts Jimmy on his shoulder
Bob wanders aimlessly around through the Nemesis, smiling an waving to everyone he encounters.
Saoirse is silent. You decide to leave, and put Jimmy on your shoulder.

It's a big ship. As you walk around, you see lots of people running around, doing their jobs. You don't know who any of them are, or what they're doing. "Meh Bob!" you say excitedly to some of them. Occasionally one of them gives a wave back. You like when they wave back. Sometimes they smile, too - especially the girls. You're just starting to like this place. The people here seem scared, though, or sad. You don't know why. It might be because they don't each have a Jimmy of their own.

The walls are starting to look more broken and damaged as you go farther, and you find some rooms that are closed off with doors that won't open. You first pass one labeled "Rec Zone", and then another that says "Library".

Just then, someone turns a corner and walks directly into you - you barely feel the impact, but they get knocked to the floor with an "oof!" It's a girl. She sits there for a moment, but then starts to scoot away as though in fright.

"Meh Bob! Bob no hurt you," you say, trying to reassure her.

The girl pauses, looking you over. She seems very timid, but gets to her feet. "I'm... I'm Anelle," she says quietly. "You're Bob?"

You nod.

She laughs softly. "What are you doing here, Bob? There's nothing in the front of the ship. Well... nothing left, at least."

Miranda
Black--Snow wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:22 am
Miranda jerked up suddenly, gasping for air as if waking up from a nightmare.
"Jesus Christ, where the fukc am I?" she exclaimed as she rubbed her eyes and stretched her muscles.
"frak! Everything is goddamn sore!"
She examines the room, taking in her surroundings and waiting for a response from who she assumed were doctors.
You jerk up suddenly, gasping for air. "Where the fukc am I?" you exclaim, rubbing your eyes. "Fukc, everything is goddamn sore!"

Looking around the room, you see a small team of nurses and doctors congratulating each other. One of them - a wrinkled, balding man - walks over to you and pats your shoulder patronizingly. "We're glad you made it, miss," he says, looking at a PDA. "You're lucky as hell to be alive right now. We almost lost you."

You don't understand.

One of the other doctors shoves a PDA into your hands. You glance at the screen. "Gentlemen, ladies, robots, insignificant piles of shit: Welcome to the Nemesis. ...or what's left of it, anyway. Try to ignore the flickering of the lights..."

You read everything on the screen and gradually realize what's happened. You start to hand the PDA back, but a doctor shakes her head and motions for you to keep it. "You're free to leave," she says.

Leave? Just like that? Really?

You don't feel like leaving. You feel like curling up into a fetal position and puking.

Saoirse
Dinosawer wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:42 am
Hema wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:13 pm
“That was a magnificent performance!
I have to say, I didn't expect to find a piper on the ship, much less a talented one like yourself.
The last time I heard a decent player was back on my home world of Crius IV, so your playing brings back memories.

Well Ermhelm was a city actually, and was where I conducted most of my business. A bit more crowded than your average middle-world town, still the people were nice. Naturally many of its citizens admired my skills and handsome good looks.
I specialize in more conventional weapons. Exotics weren't all that effective when I worked in Ermhelm, but they showed potential.
I'm sure they've come a long way since then. If you have the time, could you give me a demonstration of what they're capable of now?"
Well, I could, but I'm not supposed to just use the PSI amp willy nilly here on the ship. However, I was gonna look around if there's someplace I can be useful with these - you could tag along if you want.

I turn to answer Bob, only to notice he already left.
I shrug, plug in the PSI pack and amps and go in search of somewhere I can make myself useful with my amps, knowing I'm crap at actually fixing stuff

(( I guess I should probably specify that further but I have no idea where that would be. ))
You shrug, plug in the PSI pack and amps, and go in search of somewhere you can make yourself useful with your amps.

...You have no idea where that would be.

~~~

Less than an hour later after a bizarre series of events, you've come to find that wearing a PSI pack around made you pretty popular, especially when you stated you'd like to help clear some area for the doctors to perform surgery in proper conditions. This made you popular with the doctors, which in turn made you popular with pretty much everybody in the portion of engineering that had been repurposed as a makeshift hospital. This made you popular with the rest of the engineers. This made you popular with some guy named Gonzz; he's the Hull Maintenance King, or something. It happened quickly, and you weren't paying as much attention as you could've been.

This is probably why you're stuck outside the hull, wearing a pressure suit in the ruins of the Nemesis's former medbay. It's dusty, dimly lit, and claustrophobic. You still wonder how you ended up out here. It's a disaster, really. Gonzz is here, as are some of the other folks from hull repair, but it's clear they're stretched thin. Most of the engineers seem exhausted, and for good reason: the Nemesis is (quite literally) a wreck. The underside of the hull is toasted from re-entry and ripped up from sliding along the ground. Razor-sharp metal is everywhere, as well as bits and pieces of medical equipment (mostly beyond repair) that fell from the ruined floors above. Your current task is to clear out enough debris that you and the other engineers can seal up the hull, so everyone else can get started on repairing the decks. Because a lot of it (particularly the part where you are) is embedded in the sandy dirt below, or ripped away entirely, it's only a temporary patch. Gonzz will have to get the rest of it taken care of later, likely out in space.

"Watch out!" someone shouts. You turn; a twisted metal beam, groaning loudly, collapses toward your head. You barely have time to react.

Miles
Detritus wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:35 am
Finish eating.

If I have trash from my meal, carefully put any and all food trash into one neat pile, with emphasis on easy carrying.
Get up and dispose of the trash in the nearest garbage bin.

Re-assess the room. Check if the tables and chairs are still thrown about.
If they are, go to the counter and ask Brenna if I can help right the tables and chairs,
otherwise, go to the counter and ask Brenna if I can help with anything.
You finish eating, and dispose with the trash in a nearby receptacle, very neatly. Extremely neatly. That's good. Anelle like that neatness shit. You imagine "the zone". (For no more than two seconds.)

You look over the room. There's still a lot of tables and chair dashed about - and there probably will be for a while. They need bolted to the floor, and a lot of them are simply broken. Most of the ones that aren't damaged have been righted already. As such, you go up to the counter. Brenna is talking to someone.

"Brenna?" you ask.

Brenna quickly turns toward you. "What can I get you? ... Oh, you're the chicken tortilla guy!" she exclaims as she recognizes you.

You don't waste any time. "Is there anything I can help with?"

She hesitates. "Well, Frank here just fixed the lighting and some of the piping... everything else would take some specialized equipment, I think, or replaced entirely. I hate admitting it, but I think I'll have to wait on Antez for that. ...he's an engineer, a friend of mine," she adds as an explanation.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Dinosawer wrote:

"Well, I could, but I'm not supposed to just use the PSI amp willy nilly here on the ship. However, I was gonna look around if there's someplace I can be useful with these - you could tag along if you want."
Follow along with Saoirse.

"Good to have such a responsible teammate! I look forward to seeing your PSI amps in action.
I'll try to help you out where I can. I'm quite strong you know."
Breaker of fortune cookies

Assess Frank.

Look back at Brenna.
"Okay. Err... my name is Miles. Justin Miles. You can call me that, if you wish. Umm... I guess I'll see you later, then."

Once Brenna indicates the conversation is over,
check PDA for library, see where Anelle is.
Go to the battle bridge and seek out Anelle. Don't say hi to her. Wait somewhere near the walls and a door.

Study Anelle from afar. Take in physical characteristics, from eye color to how she walks.
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Alright, everything seems to be in order. Better safe than sorry, I guess. Now that I've satisfied my paranoia about my gear being ready, I can't really think of anything else to do to prep for an incoming mission. Might as well make myself useful and try to find the bastard who got us all in this mess. If they're still alive, I'd rather they not take me by surprise, after all.

I decide to head back to the computer room and grab a crew manifest so I can start going over who does what and who is still alive. I then head over to the bunkroom to read the manifest in peace.

((quick minipost for cuisinart8: list of the major crew members I've defined))
Armory - Chief Armory Officer - Dennis Hoffman
Battle Bridge - Acting Captain - Havor Maluk
Battle Bridge - Fighter Tactics Officer - Cho Dyoun
Battle Bridge - Fighter Tactics Officer - Reyha Sodhana
Bunks - "The Cleaner" - Lydia Hollenbroke
Chapel - Minister - Ernie Latimer
Engineering - Chief Engineer - Rowan O'Crosby
Engineering - Chief Weapons Officer - Matthew Roberts
Engineering - Head of Hull Repair - Gonzz Rotanda
Engineering - Lead Engines Specialist - Abigail Harthrauer
Engineering - Lead Reactor Specialist - Lance Rayden
Engineering - Lead Shield Specialist - Travis Synder
Engineering - Lead Warp Engineer - Wendy Rockbell
Engineering - Lieutenant Engineer - Antez Escavar
Hangar - Chief Fighter Repair Officer - Bryce Mayweather
Hangar - Chief Hangar Control Officer - Guernick Hale
Library - Chief Librarian - Anelle Maliese
Medbay - Chief Medical Officer - Ellie Mercer
Medbay - Chief of Medical Research - Elkias Brewd
Medbay - Lead Bioengineer - Kenji Akronis
Medbay - Lead Doctor - Aeras Mincewood
Medbay - Lead Surgeon - Phelps Dogner
Mess Hall - Chief Culinary Officer - Brenna Melvin
Research Labs - Head of Anomalous Materials Study - Osmin Kerebas
Research Labs - Head of Weapons Development - Janus Schernz
Research Labs - Head of the Research Department - Antonius Ryddle
SCAMPS - Lead Electrobiologist - Merla Janeway
SCAMPS - SCAMPS - SCAMPS
Supply Offices - Chief Supply Officer - Terrin Zetch
VR Combat Simulators - VR Designer - Jinna Reeds
((I'd give you more, but that's all I currently have, apart from a handful of people like Sanya and Ellis. Because there aren't any rolls or things, or anywhere you haven't already been, we'll just say your character walked to the bunk room and is there now.))
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

"Go hIfreann leat!"
I quickly use my grav amp to deflect the beam away from me (but also not towards anyone else of course).
If I'm not harmed, I first check the ceilings for other fall hazards. If there are any, I make sure nobody is below them and gently knock them loose with a small grav field, letting them fall harmlessly.
After that, I start using my grav amp to methodically clear out space of debris, flinging it out of the way to where it needs to be collected. Equipment that looks salvageable I leave alone for people with more muscle and less stick of arms than mine to retrieve.
While doing all of this, I sing Rocky Road To Dublin and other fun old songs, because what is better than a bit of music to make hard work lighter?
(Except for pudding of course, but since there isn't any music will have to do.)

Otherwise, I go get medical assistance.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Sighing inwardly, Frank gives Brenna an apologetic look.

Not much I can do in that case, seeing that I was apparently pretty much stuffed into cryo as soon as possible...

"Thank you again, Brenna. I'll bring the tools back to Antez then and look for the armory. I guess I'll be around if something happens here where I could help. And if not, surely someone will have a way to find me, no?"

Pack up all the tools again.
Bring them to Antez.
Apologize to him for keeping him from doing his work and also for borrowing his tools.
Read the description of the Hiltorel on the PDA.
Ponder about those descriptions for a bit. They seem a bit overtly negative, even for something SCAMPS wrote.
Get over to the armory.
Ask someone at the armory if there are some kinds of records or notes regarding Frank's equipment.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Hapchazzard wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:47 am

Enthusiastically:
"Me? Oh I'm doin' absolutely fantastic! Them ruffians givin' you trouble? If they ever pick on you again, I'll give 'em a stern talkin' to! Anyways, what are you up to? This dang place is big, but there ain't much to do here."
"Untrusting, these. Refuse help. Security. Gave me exosuit though."
Raise my exosuit enforced arm to demonstrate.
"Looking to be useful. Not much to do here. Without getting shot. Ideas?"

Just then, someone turns a corner and walks directly into you - you barely feel the impact, but they get knocked to the floor with an "oof!" It's a girl. She sits there for a moment, but then starts to scoot away as though in fright.

The girl pauses, looking you over. She seems very timid, but gets to her feet. "I'm... I'm Anelle," she says quietly. "You're Bob?"

You nod.

She laughs softly. "What are you doing here, Bob? There's nothing in the front of the ship. Well... nothing left, at least."
'eeeeeh, doing here?'
'eeeeeh'
Bob stares blankly at Anelle, suddenly his eyes clear.
'Bob looking for stuff to do, Bob wants to help. Jimmy too' (Bob takes Jimmy from his shoulder, holds him out for Anelle to see and then puts Jimmy back on his shoulder).
'Why nothing left at front?'
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Triggerhappy wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:05 am
Hapchazzard wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:47 am

Enthusiastically:
"Me? Oh I'm doin' absolutely fantastic! Them ruffians givin' you trouble? If they ever pick on you again, I'll give 'em a stern talkin' to! Anyways, what are you up to? This dang place is big, but there ain't much to do here."
"Untrusting, these. Refuse help. Security. Gave me exosuit though."
Raise my exosuit enforced arm to demonstrate.
"Looking to be useful. Not much to do here. Without getting shot. Ideas?"
"Honestly, I just can't wait to go outside and shoot me some aliens. We'll probably be fightin' them squid-folk, from that movie whose name I forgot. Anyways, if we ain't got nothin' better to do, I'd like to meet some of the fellas from our squad, I always like to know my crew before a run. Problem is, I ain't got no damn clue where we'd find 'em."

Hapchazzard wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:59 pm
"Honestly, I just can't wait to go outside and shoot me some aliens. We'll probably be fightin' them squid-folk, from that movie whose name I forgot. Anyways, if we ain't got nothin' better to do, I'd like to meet some of the fellas from our squad, I always like to know my crew before a run. Problem is, I ain't got no damn clue where we'd find 'em."
Look around.
"No time. Looks around. They are almost done with a batch of these coffins. We must be leaving. Soon."
Look (down) at Buck.
"Computers. Electronics. How good are you with them? I have ideas. Weapons. Virus. Maybe later. When we have time. And resources. Could use help."

( ( Talvieno says that the mission starts when everyone is done doing what they are doing. So I am not sure if I want to try this now or later. Not sure if you are willing to help either but that's a different issue :P In case you are curious, my plan is to get some compressed computer viruses made to use on the mission by people who can't hack or computer for shit ( like Lemons). Theoretically we should be able to use our PDAs or other terminals to make this happen. Long ago Jimmy Triggerhappy was going to do this, but never go to it. From what I remember back then, we might even get bonuses to the virus if we get some other people with high computer/hacking skills to help in making it. ))
Last edited by Triggerhappy on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Update time! I particularly enjoyed this one. :D Also, the map is ready, so Mission 1 is primed and ready for takeoff.

Caleb
cuisinart8 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:25 pm
Alright, everything seems to be in order. Better safe than sorry, I guess. Now that I've satisfied my paranoia about my gear being ready, I can't really think of anything else to do to prep for an incoming mission. Might as well make myself useful and try to find the bastard who got us all in this mess. If they're still alive, I'd rather they not take me by surprise, after all.

I decide to head back to the computer room and grab a crew manifest so I can start going over who does what and who is still alive. I then head over to the bunkroom to read the manifest in peace.
You leave the armory, head back to the computer area, and grab a crew manifest, downloading it to your PDA. Then you head down to the bunks to read it in peace. ((it's in a previous post in this thread))

Bob
Cha0zz wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:25 pm

You nod.

'eeeeeh, doing here?'
'eeeeeh'
Bob stares blankly at Anelle, suddenly his eyes clear.
'Bob looking for stuff to do, Bob wants to help. Jimmy too' (Bob takes Jimmy from his shoulder, holds him out for Anelle to see and then puts Jimmy back on his shoulder).
'Why nothing left at front?'
You stare blankly at Anelle for a moment, but suddenly you remember what you were trying to do. "Bob looking for stuff to do, Bob wants to help. Jimmy too," you add, holding Jimmy out for Anelle to see.

"Awww!" Anelle coos, giggling. "That's adorable! Your bear looks so sweet!" She still sounds a little nervous, but she seems to be getting over it quickly. Girls tend to like you for some reason. Jimmy makes a good wingman.

You put Jimmy back on your shoulder. "Why nothing left at front?"

"We had to deal with a big fight," she explains. "Some bad people were trying to hurt us. They almost killed me. They blew up a lot of the front of the ship... and my library." Anelle points behind you. "That was where my library was." She pauses; her eyebrows knit together as she thinks. "Hmm... I'm sure there's somewhere you could help. You look really strong..." She eyes your muscles for a moment. Then, she catches herself, looks up at your face, and quickly glances away with a giggle that she tries to stifle. Finally, she offers helpfully, "Well... it's a really big ship. If you're interested, I think we can probably find something for you to do with that in Engineering or Medical..."

Saoirse
Dinosawer wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:14 am
"Go hIfreann leat!"
I quickly use my grav amp to deflect the beam away from me (but also not towards anyone else of course).
If I'm not harmed, I first check the ceilings for other fall hazards. If there are any, I make sure nobody is below them and gently knock them loose with a small grav field, letting them fall harmlessly.
After that, I start using my grav amp to methodically clear out space of debris, flinging it out of the way to where it needs to be collected. Equipment that looks salvageable I leave alone for people with more muscle and less stick of arms than mine to retrieve.
While doing all of this, I sing Rocky Road To Dublin and other fun old songs, because what is better than a bit of music to make hard work lighter?
(Except for pudding of course, but since there isn't any music will have to do.)

Otherwise, I go get medical assistance.
Your fast reflexes save you - without a moment's hesitation, you throw yourself out of the way, barely getting out from under the beam in time. As you roll aside, you hit it with your grav amp unit, knocking it down into a relatively safe spot.

That was pretty close. You brush yourself off, get back up and check the ceiling for other fall hazards. You can't really see much of the decks above from where you're standing, but it looks safe enough.

"You okay, newblood?" Gonzz asks over the comms, waving an arm. He's standing near one of the large spotlights you have under the decks, planted in the dusty soil. He calls you "newblood", even though you pointed out your name is Saoirse. "You'll be fine, just walk it off," he says nonchalantly. "Okay people, let's clear it out. We need to have this place sealed up within six hours, no time to waste!"

The area is practically swarming with engineers. You aren't the only one with a PSI amp - another person is handling it over on the far side. You can't see their face, but it seems to be a man, and he handles his grav amp with a lot more power and precision than you can. Nonetheless, you can still manage to hold your own. After all, your 2 Gs of force is enough to toss even the largest pieces of scrap - scrap that would take several people to handle alone. Everyone works together to move all the broken bits out of the hull, while other engineers run over the dirt with huge machines clamped onto the walls, bulldozing it out of the way or sucking it out the hole in the side of the ship, out into the dusty Nanyejan canyon. Meanwhile, other workers lower massive armored platelets from above.

While doing all this, you sing Rocky Road To Dublin - it echoes in your helmet. At first, you sang it over the comms, but Gonzz was very averse to it, as were many of the other engineers. This annoys you somewhat. Fortunately, thanks to the atmosphere, they can kind of hear it anyway, you think, so you keep singing it all the same.

You notice that Brom is idling around, watching. Occasionally an engineer will tell him to move, but he just stands there... staring at you. He doesn't say a thing.

"Hey, what?!" someone shouts over the comms. "Stop him!"

You turn - out of the corner of your eye, you see a suited engineer making a break for it with some kind of weapon concealed in his arms. He blasts one of the other engineers that tries to stop him and dodges past, sliding on the dirt under another officer. The man is headed straight for the hole in the side of the hull.

The work site is an uproar. "Deserter! Deserter!" People shout and drop what they're doing, either trying to go after him or trying to stay well out of the way. "Deserter! He's got a weapon!"

Frank
F4wk35 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:01 am
Sighing inwardly, Frank gives Brenna an apologetic look.

Not much I can do in that case, seeing that I was apparently pretty much stuffed into cryo as soon as possible...

"Thank you again, Brenna. I'll bring the tools back to Antez then and look for the armory. I guess I'll be around if something happens here where I could help. And if not, surely someone will have a way to find me, no?"

Pack up all the tools again.
Bring them to Antez.
Apologize to him for keeping him from doing his work and also for borrowing his tools.
Read the description of the Hiltorel on the PDA.
Ponder about those descriptions for a bit. They seem a bit overtly negative, even for something SCAMPS wrote.
Get over to the armory.
Ask someone at the armory if there are some kinds of records or notes regarding Frank's equipment.
You take the pack of tools, thank Brenna again, and leave.

~~~

"You fixed it??" Antez's eyebrows rise in surprise. "Really? All the water pipes? Well. I'm surprised. Right, let's see." He takes the toolkit from you. "Thanks for bringing this back. Guess you're not so bad after all, eh? Frank, right?"

You nod.

"Glad to have you on board, Frank," he says, and then goes to shake your hand - but changes his mind at the last moment and salutes you instead.

With that done, you leave again, this time headed for the armory. On the way, you browse your PDA for any tidbits of information that SCAMPS has left you, and happen to find something on the Hiltorel. SCAMPS' description seems a bit negative. You're mildly suspicious about it.

~~~

When you finally reach the armory, you find someone to talk to almost immediately - a guard standing just inside the doorway. He's suited up with big, tough armor, and is carrying a rather formidable-looking infantry weapon. "Excuse me," you ask him. "Are there some kind of records, or... notes, maybe, regarding my equipment?"

The man doesn't say a word, but nods and points over toward a nearby computer console. You thank him and head over there.

The console seems to recognize you somehow, and quickly pulls up a list of your gear:
  • Repair Kit
  • Microwave Field Manipulator
  • Crossbow
    • Syringe/Tranquilizer
    • Sticky/Cable Reel
    • Sharp/Explosive
    • Sharp/Solid
  • First-aid Kit

Brom
Hema wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:01 pm
Dinosawer wrote:

"Well, I could, but I'm not supposed to just use the PSI amp willy nilly here on the ship. However, I was gonna look around if there's someplace I can be useful with these - you could tag along if you want."
Follow along with Saoirse.

"Good to have such a responsible teammate! I look forward to seeing your PSI amps in action.
I'll try to help you out where I can. I'm quite strong you know."
You follow Saoirse around after she leaves the armory, repeatedly attempting to talk to her - but something always gets in the way. Sometimes she gets into a conversation, other times a door closes in front of you, and still other times you simply turn the corner and lose track of her entirely. By some strange twist of fate, you wind up outside the ship. It seems Saoirse is trying to help fix the hull or something. You grabbed a pressure suit and followed her out.

It suddenly occurs to you that this would be the perfect time to see her use her PSI amp. Better yet, a large, twisted metal beam is falling directly towards her face. You stand back and watch with interest.

Saoirse seems to be quite good with her PSI amp. She easily dodges the beam, tossing it to the side after she's out of the way, and gets to work clearing out the debris through a hole in the hull. You kick at the dirt and watch her for a while. She seems to be quite enjoying herself - you can even hear her humming, muffled, something about a rocky road to somewhere.

Then, suddenly, over the comms, you hear: "Stop him!"

You turn - out of the corner of your eye, you see a suited engineer making a break for it with some kind of weapon concealed in his arms. He blasts one of the other engineers that tries to stop him and dodges past, sliding on the dirt under another officer. The man is headed straight for the hole in the side of the ship - to freedom.

The work site is an uproar. "Deserter! Deserter!" People shout and drop what they're doing, either trying to go after him or trying to stay well out of the way. "Deserter! He's got a weapon!"

Miles
Detritus wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:08 pm
Assess Frank.

Look back at Brenna.
"Okay. Err... my name is Miles. Justin Miles. You can call me that, if you wish. Umm... I guess I'll see you later, then."

Once Brenna indicates the conversation is over,
check PDA for library, see where Anelle is.
Go to the battle bridge and seek out Anelle. Don't say hi to her. Wait somewhere near the walls and a door.

Study Anelle from afar. Take in physical characteristics, from eye color to how she walks.
You give Frank a good, thorough examination. It's okay to look at him for more than two seconds. He's not Anelle. You see nothing interesting about him, and look back at Brenna. "Okay. Err... my name is Miles. Justin Miles. You can call me that, if you wish. Um... I guess I'll see you later, then."

Brenna nods. "All right."

You leave, checking your PDA for the library. You soon find it on the map, and head in that direction.

~~~

You've found her.

She, true to form, is near the library. From this distance, the chances of her seeing you are very low, so you'll stare at her for more than two seconds. You're feeling a little wild, so you think you'll skip three and go directly to four - four seconds max! Anelle's wavy hair is short, a nice, pretty light auburn color. It comes down a bit below her chin, some ways above her shoulders. Her eyes - you can't tell from this distance (and she's not looking at you anyway), but you saw that they were green when you were sitting across the table from her. You wish you could see them again. She's wearing a ruffled dark navy skirt and a light shirt - not typical army getup, but then, she's only on board as a librarian.

Unfortunately, as you soon discover, she's not alone. She's talking to some guy - some big guy - that you've never seen before. He's super tall. You can't tell too much about him - the emergency lights in this area are dim and flickering - but you can definitely tell he's really muscular.

Anelle speaks, and you strain your ears. You can only catch some of the words. "Awww!" she coos. "... Adorable! You're ... so sweet!"

The man puts something back on his shoulder and asks something - but you can't make out what he's saying. Who is he? And why are they meeting in secret like this?

The girl answers him. "We had ... a big fight," she admits. Her voice echoes and throws the sound. "Some ... trying to hurt ... almost killed me..." She's quieter for a while, and you can't quite hear her. It sounds like she's talking about some kind of past relationship - a very abusive relationship. She didn't mention this to you. After a moment she pipes up again, and says in a louder voice, "You look really strong." She pauses and says nothing for a time. And then, just when you're sure their conversation is over - she giggles. "It's ... really big ... I think I can find something for you to do with that..." Anelle says more, but you can't quite make it out.

Another giggle echoes down the corridors.

Online Now