Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, October 27, 2017

https://lindseyreidblog.wordpress.com/

I wrote a tutorial on mesh stellation :p
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

:D Looking at the second image in your tutorial I feel sure you could design the diamond ponies for the easter egg in LImit Theory, Lindsey.

Take no notice of what Josh says about it. Rembrandt will thank you for your efforts. ;) :angel:

:shifty: I can stop commenting if it makes you uneasy, Lindsey. I'm not a coder and don't want to be one, as you probably know, but I have remained enthusiastic about the Limit Theory project from the very early days. I want something rather specific as a result of the work you and the team do but I'd like to see as many backers/supporters get at least some of what they want.

LindseyReid wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:18 pm

This is genuinely one of the best things I've seen in possibly the whole development of limit theory because I think Limit Theory should largely be community based and community developed. :D

In my opinion, Procedural Reality might be well suited to become a company more like Adobe than CIG, making development tools to enable people to make their own games. Limit Theory then would be more of a flagship with accompanying devtools. Tutorials like this will be key to that. I for one would love to eventually see a coding school where the devs and other members can teach each other how to code and build games as entries in mod contests. :geek:

Edit: not to mention Victor will get EXACTLY the game he wants, Rembrandt shaders and all :monkey:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

LindseyReid wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Awesome Lindsey! :D :clap:
That's the first time I've seen actual evidence to support the Vec3 setup.. we've seen code before from Josh, but I never truly saw someone say exactly what it was lol

P.S. Typo:
traingular
:ghost: :train:
(ooh, there's a train emoticon... :squirrel: )
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

FormalMoss wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:11 pm
Awesome Lindsey! :D :clap:
That's the first time I've seen actual evidence to support the Vec3 setup.. we've seen code before from Josh, but I never truly saw someone say exactly what it was lol

P.S. Typo:
traingular
:ghost: :train:
(ooh, there's a train emoticon... :squirrel: )
Just to be super clear: this code is NOT production Limit Theory code. It's pseudocode that would not compile or run in any real language. These algorithms reflect the algorithms in Limit Theory, but class names, syntax, and even sometimes large chunks of the algorithm are changed for the purposes of making the tutorial easier to understand.

That being said, we DO have a Vec3 class, of course! ;D Although I usually use a more specific Vec3 type that specifies either double or floating point values. Again, the syntax in the post doesn't reflect how it actually looks on LT.

I'm glad you said this, regardless- it's a good reminder for me to make this point (that my tutorials are NOT LT code) extremely clear on the blog.

And thank you for the typo correction XD

Hyperion wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:55 pm
This is genuinely one of the best things I've seen in possibly the whole development of limit theory because I think Limit Theory should largely be community based and community developed. :D

In my opinion, Procedural Reality might be well suited to become a company more like Adobe than CIG, making development tools to enable people to make their own games. Limit Theory then would be more of a flagship with accompanying devtools. Tutorials like this will be key to that. I for one would love to eventually see a coding school where the devs and other members can teach each other how to code and build games as entries in mod contests. :geek:

Edit: not to mention Victor will get EXACTLY the game he wants, Rembrandt shaders and all :monkey:
I'm genuinely flattered by y'all's undying enthusiasm for LT. Although I'm also excited to see what LT becomes post-release, right now, our first and last job is to finish the game. I write these tutorials in my spare time 1) for fun and 2) to fill a gap in the general game dev community where mid- and high-level procedural tutorials are missing. They're not currently intended to build up to something more for LT specifically, and they're not a sign of us developing a whole new idea for LT or PR's future. I apologize if posting them in the forums was confusing.

Sorry if these responses are all a little negative! I want to balance making sure y'all feel excited & inspired by LT-related content, like screenies and tutorials, without accidentally coming off as promising more than intended. I'll be sure to include more descriptions/words/disclaimers with any tutorial posts in the future. <333333

And as always, thank you to everybody on the kind words <33 I do hope some programmers here find the tutorials useful or interesting!

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

:) I'm glad you're flattered, but I'm not trying to flatter you. Of course your top priority should absolutely be finishing LT, and any tutorials, or post-release stuff should be pushed to the side until then at the earliest. I personally didn't think they represented an explicit signpost for LT and PRs future, my comments were more aspirational on my own part. :squirrel:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer

Hi Lindsey, thank you for your explanation of your personal blog, I was merely drawing a comparison between your pseudo-code and similar code we've seen in Josh's work. Even your cute drawing :) of the extrusion was helpful for me to understand the bigger picture :)

Have you ever read, or heard of, Marcus du Sautoy's book; Finding Moonshine?
I think it would be apt to include it here, as I'm sure some transformations, where symmetry is sought, could be useful?

In your search for the equations to create the building blocks for LT'verse (universe), the human eye always seeks for symmetry in everything.
I have this book, and how bees search for flowers to pollenate, they look for symmetry in the flowers they fly by. So, flowers that are damaged/ not symettrical, will die out over time, because the bees won't visit it for pollen. Mother nature has a plan, and it's a fascinating insight.
The same could be true for computer games and how they render (in the case of sci-fi) ships. Which is why, my personal experience of Eve Online, was initially taken aback with the Caldari "lop-sided" approach to their ship design. Granted, I started to love the "differences" more as I played it, and even love the Golem Marauder more for how different it is to the Amarr's golden design..

I suppose, symmetry has it's merits, but so too does mismatching designs which "catch" the eye in the hope of some semblance of symmetry.

TL;DR
Symmetrical and asymmetrical designs should play a part when designing ships/ stations for different races.
Considering that PCG is all about math, this book could be an interesting read when one comes across those frustrating formulae that lack symmetry, when in fact, they might be the perfect code for asymmetry.
:ghost:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

FormalMoss wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:06 am
Hi Lindsey, thank you for your explanation of your personal blog, I was merely drawing a comparison between your pseudo-code and similar code we've seen in Josh's work. Even your cute drawing :) of the extrusion was helpful for me to understand the bigger picture :)

Have you ever read, or heard of, Marcus du Sautoy's book; Finding Moonshine?
I think it would be apt to include it here, as I'm sure some transformations, where symmetry is sought, could be useful?
I'm glad :D And no I have not, I'll look in to it. :0

alpan wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:21 am
I haven't been around for a while -- nice to see you around, Lindsey! Welcome to the team!

I recognize that avatar from before, and your join date suggests to me you're working under a pseudonym. Interesting choice! Or am I hallucinating?
Correct. I've been around for awhile, but I'm going by a pseudoname. Thank you for the warm welcome :)

- Stephen Sondheim

vector67 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:30 am
LindseyReid wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:01 pm
Correct. I've been around for awhile, but I'm going by a pseudoname. Thank you for the warm welcome :)
Is it pseudoname or pseudonym? Now I'm confused.
technically Pseudonym. but tomayto tomahto
Imagination Fertilizer

Online Now