Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Dynamic Destruction

Returning to this post for a sec, say, perhaps, that we reduce the problem of having to render billions of small sections of seared-off plating in a battle by keeping the small damage as particle effects and the really big damage as actual broken bits (for example, slicing a ship in half would make a lot of small particles to briefly appear, but the two halves of the ship would be able to be interacted with and salvaged, or, perhaps, an engine getting blown up and out of use) and basically consider the wreckage and cut off bits as artificial asteroids...

Also, as I have said so many times before, to prevent your cockpit being screwed in 2 mins, SHIELDS! (also, I totally got rekt in 1 min of warping into a conflict between Minimatar and Amarr in EVE)
Devoted to providing LT with daily doses of eureka moments.

0111narwhalz wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:59 pm
With the joint-shape model, might it be possible to define certain joints as breakable joints and thus sever chunks of a ship when it is killed?
I don't see why that would not be possible. The pieces are already there and assembled, so why not?

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:17 pm
S46 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:04 pm
Also, as I have said so many times before, to prevent your cockpit being screwed in 2 mins, SHIELDS! (also, I totally got rekt in 1 min of warping into a conflict between Minimatar and Amarr in EVE)
so you make all defenses that arent shields worthless?

sounds like an improvement :P
Ugh it's an example...

Fine you want the full list? Shields, Armour, Weapon Disruption Modules, Anti-missiles (in case of missile attack), and of course your own weapons to fight back.

How about being able to command your drones (if you have any) into making a shield around you and therefore taking most of the damage and allowing you to survive longer... ...and also maybe able to group them all at the front and make all their lasers fire at once for some heavy damage...

S46 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:38 am
Ugh it's an example...

Fine you want the full list? Shields, Armour, Weapon Disruption Modules, Anti-missiles (in case of missile attack), and of course your own weapons to fight back.
how do anti missiles or my own weapons help me against that carving beam weapon thats cutting through my fighter's neck?

How is having to rely on armor not limiting the design of ships to minimum-surface blocks and spheres?
If cool designs get me killed fast i wont use them.

You also dont have to triple post as fast as you can :P
One can encapsulate multiple thoughts in a post

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:40 am
S46 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:38 am
Ugh it's an example...

how do anti missiles or my own weapons help me against that carving beam weapon thats cutting through my fighter's neck?

How is having to rely on armor not limiting the design of ships to minimum-surface blocks and spheres?
If cool designs get me killed fast i wont use them.

You also dont have to triple post as fast as you can :P
One can encapsulate multiple thoughts in a post
So you're thinking of taking a capital ship, with multiple beam lasers, alone, with a fighter :shock:

Perhaps it would be safer to travel as part of a fleet, so that the beam lasers are shooting at the big guys who are actually prepared to take it rather than a small fighter :lol:

Also, I didn't say that you had to rely on armor... ...it's just a way of defending against weapons...

And I literally said that anti-missiles were in case of missile attacks, not beam weapons...

My advice: Get a capital ship before taking on another capital ship :ghost:

Or, if in a fighter, travel in groups.

S46 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:47 am

So you're thinking of taking a capital ship, with multiple beam lasers, alone, with a fighter :shock:

Perhaps it would be safer to travel as part of a fleet, so that the beam lasers are shooting at the big guys who are actually prepared to take it rather than a small fighter :lol:

Also, I didn't say that you had to rely on armor... ...it's just a way of defending against weapons...

And I literally said that anti-missiles were in case of missile attacks, not beam weapons...

My advice: Get a capital ship before taking on another capital ship :ghost:

Or, if in a fighter, travel in groups.
No, i didnt say anything about capital ships :P

You also didnt answer my question as to how it wouldnt force the player to exclusively use compact shapes for combat ships

Plating perhaps? Thickened hulls?

Also, you said beam weapons, which aren't commonly associated with fighters but rather something that capital ships would use...

Wow this post was meant for destruction now we're talking about how to prevent destruction :lol:

I think the ships should follow the 1HP model. That is to say, if the ship has even a single hitpoint, it should be whole (perhaps with decals applied). However, as soon as that last hitpoint evaporates, the ship should fly apart in a glorious explosion of shrapnel.
Armor/shield balance should factor into design. You'd expect armortanks to be bulkier, while shieldtanks are free to be more fanciful. So these relations should be apparent in ship design.
Shields and armor are undoubtedly researcheable items, which mean they have time costs assigned to them. A given faction might specialize in one or the other, but is unlikely to have both well balanced and of useful level. This means the faction should have a preference as to whether their ships are shieldtanked or armortanked, assisting in the "factions have distinct visual styles" design goal.

I agree

I mean with the armor and shield thing - as for destruction, I think that smaller ships, such as fighters, will only get particle effects when damaged, but when a sizable chunk of a larger cruiser or such is broken, it should break off from the rest of the ship. That way there aren't millions of pieces being rendered and generated from every hit, just large, actually cut off or heavily damaged areas.
Last edited by S46 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Online Now