Return to “General”

Re: IRC

Hmm... that's interesting. I don't appear to suffer from the blight of pop-ups. Not sure why but I obviously use some software that blocks them. :?

On topic (for a change) I seem to be unable to gain access to IRC at the moment... an additional case of I'm not sure why. :? :angel:

The IRC quote in my sig now has a chance to change daily, still heavily based on votes on the quote page. :) Currently there's a 50% chance that one of the four top-voted quotes will be picked. By comparison, the unvoted quotes (those with only 1 point) have only a 2% chance for any one of them to show up on a particular day.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I don't understand. How is it mathematically impossible?

Selecting a 7-point quote: 50% chance between them at the moment
Selecting a 1-point quote: little less than 2% chance per day

Not "per quote", as in, I'm not saying that each quote has a 2% chance to be selected. I'm saying there's only a <2% chance of any 1-point quote being selected.

Duck and I did the math and, if nobody changes votes/adds or deletes any quotes at any point in the future, it will take 95 years for even a 50% chance of a specific 1-point quote ever showing up in my sig. :D

(Also, quotes are filtered so the ones that show up here are PG. mostly)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:31 am
Not "per quote", as in, I'm not saying that each quote has a 2% chance to be selected. I'm saying there's only a <2% chance of any 1-point quote being selected.
Ah okay, I thought you were saying the former, because that's how I interpreted " the unvoted quotes (those with only 1 point) have only a 2% chance for any one of them to show up on a particular day"
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Victor Tombs wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:58 am
This is all a bit academic for me. It doesn't help to know how many people have been active in IRC and I've never understood this fascination with quotes. :angel:
I have the number there in hopes that people will see that IRC is active and maybe head over there if they want to talk. I'm still not sure if it's worked yet, but I'm sure it will someday. :D The random-quote-per-day-thing is in my sig for precisely the same reason.

Online Now