Return to “General”

Re: Ship model concepts

Hyperion wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:54 pm
Some more ships, inspired by Lindsey's Pintrest :p
These are suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper heckin' dope, I'll have to take some time this evening to go through & catalog them. Thank you!
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

LindseyReid wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:57 pm
Hyperion wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:54 pm
Some more ships, inspired by Lindsey's Pintrest :p
These are suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper heckin' dope, I'll have to take some time this evening to go through & catalog them. Thank you!
https://www.reddit.com/r/ImaginaryStarships/

Follow this subreddit while you are at it.

This in particular seems fairly quickly achievable.
Spoiler:      SHOW
And this is gorgeous incarnate
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

There's certainly a large amount of available inspiration on the internet for Lindsey to peruse but I do hope we see her own ideas being incorporated into the models she creates. Considering the diversity of models required for a game such as LT I can only hope that these ideas will be coherent as they were in games like Freelancer. I wasn't overly impressed by the models in that game but they did make some sense. I know many of the backers/members/general space geeks will probably heavily mod the ships provided in the vanilla game but there are some of us who don't get any satisfaction out of doing that.

No pressure, Lindsey. ;) :angel:

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:42 am
The models for freelancer werent that overly wow-inducing, but they had something far better:
They are iconic and can be spotted from any group of ships.

If lindsey manages to archieve a similar effect it would be awesome
With this post, Cornflakes I wholeheartedly agree. LT needs that iconic style of its own. :D

I rarely get into these kinds of discussions but I really want LT to be special.

:think: It's good to add a few words of agreement to a subject which I consider to be so important. Thanks, Cornflakes! :angel:

I found a cool spaceship design article via old Starsector art blog posts. The ships arent epic renderings like the ones that have been posted, but the artist shares his design process. He tends to take a similar theme and iterate on it, taking a few elements and scaling them or changing their position/orientation to make interesting designs. It reminds me a bit of how PCG algorithms work , at least from what I understand of them, and I thought it might be worth sharing.

Libertas per Technica

Graf wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:30 pm
-- STUFF --
Thanks this reminded me of something I have seen ages ago.

Was done for a Master of Orion remake idea the guy had. He also had ideas for an X-Com remake.
And his art style is gorgeous, I would have loved to see his implementation of MoO or X-Com. A shame nothing seems to have happened with them.
But Lindsay might like them.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now