Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Josh] Monday, October 23, 2017

Actually, we didn't. We had it capable for small-scale things, now we can have it on system-wide scales. Things that don't need physics at that moment get physics turned off. That means you can disrupt asteroid fields by plowing a fleet through it and the asteroids will tumble along just fine. They'll slow to a halt and life will continue as normal - and at framerates that would normally indicate there wasn't any physics simulation at all.

I mostly like the battleship-sized thing. Driving a dreadnought through an asteroid field would be a massive pain if every pea-sized grain halted your progress - as Josh himself already stated. That was a major topic at one point, iirc.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

JoshParnell wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:33 pm
Note: For personal reasons, Lindsey wishes to go by pseudonym (i.e., Lindsey). Yes, strange, I know...*briefly opens Facebook, sees 40 unread messages & 100+ friend requests from strangers, promptly closes browser and burns laptop* :ghost:
that explains my confusion about the name :ghost:
*almost spilled the beans*
(i apologise in advance in case i do spill the beans...)

hey "Lindsey"! :D
nice to see you back from the dark side of the gaming industry! :ghost:

also: cool! dynamic physics switching! like the community discussed years ago :ghost:
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:06 pm
JoshParnell wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:33 pm
Note: For personal reasons, Lindsey wishes to go by pseudonym (i.e., Lindsey). Yes, strange, I know...*briefly opens Facebook, sees 40 unread messages & 100+ friend requests from strangers, promptly closes browser and burns laptop* :ghost:
that explains my confusion about the name :ghost:
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who was confused :ghost: Welcome aboard Lindsey!
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Good, a module/joint based approach for ships and structures is fitting for LT.

It can combine manual art and procedural structuring.
And best of all: it makes it easy to MOD the components, and create a unique visual style. While still giving it a large range of variation using a procedure to combine the modules.

Is the ship generation procedure going to account in the technical relation between elements?
For example: FuelDepot -> FuelLine -> Thrusters ANDPower Generator -> Battery AND Cooling Module / All placed along Hull Structure.

Battery -> Main Power Line -> Central Mainframe / Cockpit / Weapon Hardpoints / Com Array

Each module could have various implementations / repetitions, and the generation algorithm is plugging them together in the right order (at the joints), plus stretching/bending selected parts of it to fit the shape of the hull/rig.

/me thinks that asteroid fields would just dissipate with time, covering the entire system

/me remembers that LT-space has drag

/me really needs some sleep :think:

Better ship generation sounds absolutely awesome; we were discussing modular approach for quite a while now as it's the most sensible one; I'm glad to see it come to life!

:squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: < - obligatory squirrels to show my joy at the news!

:D
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Lindsey! :wave:
Come! Sit! Would you like something to eat or drink? We need to have a little(read: lengthy & numerous) chat.
Spoiler:      SHOW
You just joined the team so I'd stop hitting on your boyfriend, didn't you :lol: jk
For sleepy dynamic physics switching, yay! But here's an idea. Switching not only to static objects, but switching to PID influenced rails, especially when near a large body like a planet. So if you barrel through a planetary ring and send pieces flying, some of them will slowly re-merge with the ring while others will go tumbling into the planet and make a big mess, whoops :twisted:

Also, I'm curious if we're still limited to the largest ship being 1000x bigger than the smallest. Have the new physics advances given us the ability to build to an order of magnitude or 2 or 3 larger than before without any serious issues? You talk of Behemoth class ships, could we see ships that are 20+ kilometers, 100+ kilometers?
Famous Sci-fi ships for reference (The largest being the Independence Day city-destroyers at 24km)
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Axiomatic wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:17 am
So... Can I equip my home planet with booster rockets?
sooo...
:twisted: yes please :)

more realistically, could we make use of the various asteroids and debris in a region and attach thrusters to them and turn an asteroid field into a bunch of kinetic missiles? It would be amazing to be laying siege to a key fortress, mobilize some local asteroids and put them on a collision course with the station, then give the ultimatum of surrender or the station will be destroyed... or having a large asteroid in front of your ships as a shield to just ram them :geek:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:14 am
factor 1000 already gives us about 20km maximum length for ships :P
But can they be even bigger? I mean at that size they're basically a mobile city-state, but still, can they be bigger? Can we actually have a 1:1 scale death star?
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now