Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Thursday, August 31, 2017

Considering there are about 10.000 signs in the post, I let you determine the number of key pressed per seconds for a one hour time span.
And you also have to take into account there's some formatting (phpBB styles...), taking / finding screenshots and probably some other minor stuff, one hour is really short!

Thanks josh for the update!

BFett wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:55 am
Xyloq wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:02 am
Um, I realy try to understand what Adam writes, but most I read is that anything is allright and release is this year. 8-)
Um, LT is certainly not releasing in 2 months. Though maybe within the next 365 days.

Important to emphasize this. To the best of my knowledge, there is absolutely no promise of Limit Theory being released in 2017.

BFett wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:56 pm
I honestly never realized just how long it took you to write an update. A full hour, wow.

:wtf: BFett, you're kidding, right? One of my lesser detailed comments can take 2-3 hours to craft, and it's nothing even remotely like the typical super-detailed, multi-topic, smartly-worded JoshPost.

For Josh to crank out one of those in no more than an hour would be astonishing.

Now, maybe we can say it "shouldn't" take an hour. But that's a different question; if one of the reasons why we don't get many update posts from Josh is that it takes multiple hours to say the right things in the right way, I find that 100% understandable.

Naed wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:26 am
Or actually just left the communication to the people that know how it works?
JoshParnell wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:27 pm
I apologize for the tension caused by my poor skills at regular updating. Let's all mind the friendly-fire since we're on the same team.
Tardy as you might be, Josh, I struggle to imagine any other soul kind enough to apologize for someone else's temper tantrum. We're quite lucky to have you around.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Flatfingers wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:33 pm
BFett wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:56 pm
I honestly never realized just how long it took you to write an update. A full hour, wow.
:wtf: BFett, you're kidding, right? One of my lesser detailed comments can take 2-3 hours to craft, and it's nothing even remotely like the typical super-detailed, multi-topic, smartly-worded JoshPost.

For Josh to crank out one of those in no more than an hour would be astonishing.

Now, maybe we can say it "shouldn't" take an hour. But that's a different question; if one of the reasons why we don't get many update posts from Josh is that it takes multiple hours to say the right things in the right way, I find that 100% understandable.
I wasn't kidding, granted I have never written a post here that took 1 hour or more to type up. It's probably why most of my big posts have thousands of plot holes which get poked by you friendly folks. :P

No matter how lengthy my writings get, each non trivial one takes about an hour or two to write. Its rather strange, as you would think it would scale linearly. I wrote a 3k (I initially remembered 30k, but that seemed outlandish) word email in about 2 hours, yet for the life of me I can't write a 500 word one in under an hour.

From my experience, the vast majority of the time spent "writing" is actually spent "thinking about what you want to write". Once you know what you want to write, the act of writing it down is comparatively trivial. So a short text may take the same amount of time as a longer one, as it is often harder to be concise with your words than it is to be liberal with them. Or perhapes correctly phrasing a short phrase takes just as much thought as correctly phrasing a long one.

Or in the case if my 3k word email, I already had known what I wanted to say, so it was just a matter of banging on the keys at 30 wpm and fixing errors.

It took me about 30 minutes to write this using my phone, and most of that was spent working through exactly what I wanted to say. Initially, this post was "I have this weird thing where it takes me the same amount of time to write long things and short things, I wonder why", but then I realised I had ideas as to why and thought it would be interesting to share. Then I was like "It would be interesting to get meta with this post", so then I did that, too. :squirrel:
Libertas per Technica

Hey, at least we're making solid forward progress this time! :D Not stuff we'll have to rip out again in a year, either. I don't know exactly when it'll be out, but I strongly suspect BFett's "within a year" estimate is right - and I say this as a guy that was skeptical about his old timelines for release dates.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:12 am
Hey, at least we're making solid forward progress this time! :D Not stuff we'll have to rip out again in a year, either. I don't know exactly when it'll be out, but I strongly suspect BFett's "within a year" estimate is right - and I say this as a guy that was skeptical about his old timelines for release dates.
Yep, and I think the count down timer is about ready to get started too.

n+6 months is almost here :P

No countdown timers. :lol: I'm just saying I suspect it'll be out by then. Don't get excited. :P But we're moving at a rapid clip and Josh already had much of the gameplay mechanics figured out before. I don't want us to get to that point and everyone be like, "You got my hopes up, Tal! Shame on you!"
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:26 am
No countdown timers. :lol: I'm just saying I suspect it'll be out by then. Don't get excited. :P But we're moving at a rapid clip and Josh already had much of the gameplay mechanics figured out before. I don't want us to get to that point and everyone be like, "You got my hopes up, Tal! Shame on you!"
You don't have to worry about that. I'm the guy who usually gets into trouble for over hyping release dates. :)

BFett wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:47 am
You don't have to worry about that. I'm the guy who usually gets into trouble for over hyping release dates. :)
First! 8-)

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:12 am
Well, we have been there, but I admit it sounds more promising now then before Adam joined the team.
Was not there.

Online Now