Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Adam - Monday, October 2, 2017

AdamByrd wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:10 pm
If others are similarly disinterested in the other 50% of the Limit Theory team and this is time poorly spent, I'll adjust accordingly.
You could also spend a fraction of the time you spend on writing updates on talking with the community manager who was hired exactly for handling community interactions.
Like outlander suggested, 30 minute skype call and you dont have to talk to the community yourself.
Heck just use Tal for rubberduck debugging and have that done while doing productive work.
That applies to both of you, josh and you.

And may jump into irc at some point to actually get to know the people who kept at least some semblance of life in the forums over the ages.
The same people who made the whole endeavour possible in the first place.
You dont even have to be overly talkative. Just look into the chat and feel the pulse, and dont view the people as a nuisance to be dealt with to get going on the thing that actually matters.

We arent just npcs there to annoy you, we are people who have been hanging on for almost half a decade now for the thing josh (and nowadays you) are building.
We are the people who made it possible in the first place, we are the people who are going to keep it being possible.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:49 pm
Naed wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:49 am
Question: Why is Josh not posting?

All due respect to you Adam, but you are not Josh.

The one that the community wants to hear from is Josh. Not you.
This! :angel:
This! :twisted:
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

AdamByrd wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:31 am
  • The simulation takes on more of a client-server model. Input is handled in the 'client' which then requests state changes on the 'server'. Validation in the simulation all happens in one place. We end up being forced to build a clean API in some sense.
Thank you.
Two reasons.

1) This is always the correct form of doing things, it makes porting to other platforms a UI change, not an entire game rewrite. And trivializes control input decisions.

2) This is what I have been asking Josh to do. As it helps cut user input away from game simulation and makes my job MUCH easier when building a multiplayer mod.

So long as it's properly decoupled I can do the Game Server with much less effort, and have less effort to include any future DLC/patches.

Also, please ignore any complaints from people here. Your posts are valuable, and worth the effort. I enjoy reading them as you have a different perspective from Josh and focus on different parts of the development process when you write.
It's nice.

Everyone else just seems a little butthurt. Even knowing that Josh is a perfectionist and hates writing to us without something he feels is worthwhile.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

So maybe I'm the odd one out here, but Adam is part of the Dev team now. Josh chose to work with him and he's been making groundbreaking contributions. He's not disrespecting anyone by posting updates on his work (which are awesome). In fact, just hearing from Josh now would be an incomplete picture of Limit theory development. Adam's work on the game is going to make it possible, not posts on the forum.

So why all this aggression towards him? I understand the frustration of not having a ton of Josh-updates, but as a member of the community, I would like to hear from all the developers and not just Josh.

ThermalSpan wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:32 pm
So maybe I'm the odd one out here, but Adam is part of the Dev team now. Josh chose to work with him and he's been making groundbreaking contributions. He's not disrespecting anyone by posting updates on his work (which are awesome). In fact, just hearing from Josh now would be an incomplete picture of Limit theory development. Adam's work on the game is going to make it possible, not posts on the forum.

So why all this aggression towards him? I understand the frustration of not having a ton of Josh-updates, but as a member of the community, I would like to hear from all the developers and not just Josh.
:thumbup:
This guy gets it.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:33 pm
ThermalSpan wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:32 pm

:thumbup:
This guy gets it.
^
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

Hi Adam. It was interesting to read you update for me as a developer. Great work! Hope to see new updates from you and Josh.
After reading your post I'm wondering if you and Josh discussed a possibility to use some existing UI libraries (i.e. ImGui is being used in the several game engines as dev UI) before starting to implement your own?

Wow, I'm so excited about this, I'm posting first, and reading after :D

This is a great idea Adam, thank you.
A fresh perspective from an equally-minded LT dev as Josh.

I can see it now, passing the baton between Josh and Adam as to who will update the masses :)

I'm not trying to stir anything up, and I understand the ire from a few posters, but if the update comes from Josh, Adam or Nathan, I don't mind, they all are Limit Theory in my view, as too are the amazing members we have on this forum (you know who you are).
:ugeek:

P.S. Forgot to say, a welcome thanks to Taiya too :wave:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Thanks for the info, Adam. I hesitate to call it 'an update' because you've said that you don't intend this to replace Josh's updates.

I think where Naed is coming from is the feeling of frustration at Josh _again_ going dark, after repeatedly promising not to.

Getting what could be perceived as updates has the potential, in some of our eyes, to let Josh off the hook a bit and perhaps even 'give him permission' to continue being dark; to those of us who have been through the Great Silences (tm) this is something we're very sensitive to and wary of, and I for one (and I believe Naed for two and Victor for three) think this is a slippery slope that I very much want to halt before it gets underway.

I don't want this feeling to get in the way of thanking you for your work and for your attempt to talk to us: it's been clear recently that in-depth and technical information is something that we as a community enjoy and I'm very grateful for your contribution.
I hope you understand our simultaneous frustration with Josh and forgive us for occasionally inelegantly phrasing that frustration!
--
Mind The Gap

Jeez, can't blame Adam for not being Josh. I like this mini-update.
To put the drama aside - I was actually wondering about the gameplay implementation. If I understand correctly, a lot of the gameplay will depend on the AI and the AI behavior. Now, I read some topics on the forum, the expectations some people have towards the AI are huge. I'm not sure, where those expectations are coming from, so I wanted to ask: How are the things on the AI front? Is there still a lot to implement? I'm wondering since I thought the AI would be the next big bottleneck, but if we are already deep in the gameplay implementation I guess I was wrong. :monkey:

Thanks for the update Adam, I appreciate the effort you made in writing it up for everyone. I also really like the fact that you included a .gif which demonstrates your work. I would like to see you continue to post as you feel fit. But, I would also like to still see posts from Josh. He has promised updates every 2 week and should be maintaining that interval until he states otherwise (such as stating that he's going back to monthly updates for example). This community only asks to be informed when something is going to be changed. As long as the communication is there, we seem to be a fairly happy crowd.

Please speak with Josh and let him know that we want him to communicate with us about when he is going to be delayed on updates and when we can expect them. That's the bottom line.

Online Now