Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Thursday, August 31, 2017

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:04 am
Thanks for the update, Adam! Nice of you to tide us over until Josh posts next. In the meantime, in case anyone missed it, Josh posted the next Kickstarter update. :)
For the KickStarter update: https://youtu.be/AcS1Rccu94I

It's basically a review of the past two months of Dev Logs, which makes sense as not everyone who backed the kickstarter is going to read the dev logs. I like the "2 months in review" perspective.
Shoot ALL the things!

I made a new UI widget that I think it looks pretty cool so I figured I'd drop a little gif.

It's a pretty simple real-time graph but it's fun to watch. Especially in person where it's buttery smooth. It's showing frame time on my laptop with a populated system in the above gif. Note that the jittery times are from the recording software. Normally it's reasonably flat on this machine (and so smooth you can't even see the variations on my desktop).

That's the last UI thing for a while I think. Next I'm looking to implement a more serious gameplay feature. So I'm taking votes! Let me know what you think would be a good foundational piece of gameplay to implement.

Nice Widget :D

I was thinking that the order of implementation might have to be...
inventory management/equipping ships, market, missions, formations, news ticker...?
Also some better looking procedural ships would be nice. (not just rectangles)
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

Kez wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:50 am
My 2cents would be to look at NPC events. Specifically how events are generated. This will drive many aspects of core gameplay including player quests, npc interaction, etc.
This gets my vote, getting events and event chains in would add sooooooo much
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:53 am
Kez wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:50 am
My 2cents would be to look at NPC events. Specifically how events are generated. This will drive many aspects of core gameplay including player quests, npc interaction, etc.
This gets my vote, getting events and event chains in would add sooooooo much
Yarr. :ghost:
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Thanks for these notes, Adam, and for the invitation to comment on next steps.
AdamByrd wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:13 am
That's the last UI thing for a while I think. Next I'm looking to implement a more serious gameplay feature. So I'm taking votes! Let me know what you think would be a good foundational piece of gameplay to implement.

Nested projects -- or, as Josh once described it, "macro-level AI."

I see projects as the necessary architectural framework for all goal-driven gameplay beyond local/immediate pew-pew fun. So I'm inclined to think it's worth prototyping now.

A couple of threads that might be of interest:

Alternately, note that in this poll not a single person was willing to cut factions or asteroid mining to get LT shipped sooner. So maybe there are some clues about the interests of likely players of this game. ;)

How about something simpler.

Get mining back into the game. From the sounds if it, mining is currently missing, and that is the first step towards industry, which is the first step towards a living universe.

It will also give any AI tests a civilian population to hunt when acting as pirates, or to defend when acting as police.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:01 pm
Silverware wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:59 pm
acting as pirates
I thought that's what we were supposed to do today anyway, it being "talk like a pirate" day and all. ...Ah, wait, you're in NZ so it's already the 20th for you, isn't it.
Yep.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

jonathanredden wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:10 pm
aren't we due for a dev log?
That's why AdamByrd has been posting. To keep us from feeling like the devs are dead.
They are just busy.

We did however get a KS update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jo ... ts/1985698
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Online Now