Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Hurricane Harvey

Talvieno wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:56 am
:lol: That's awesome, Jan. That gave me a laugh.
Yeah. Had to laugh too the first time I saw it. :D

Seriously though, the similarities man. I hope we don't see "The day after tomorrow" as a documentary in 50 years or so...
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:52 am
Earth will survive most of anything we throw at it, and so will life. It's survived worse than us. Whether we'll survive is a different matter. :ghost:

I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Cody wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:51 am
We'll not survive if we don't get off this planet. Fifty years ago, I thought we were on our way! Ho-hum!
Just fleeing from this planet is just a temporary solution. We need to get better with our energy efficiency and change our mindset. Or we will just go to another planet, completely drain it from its natural resources and destroy it's ecosystem and hope to the next planet. We would do this over and over again. I think it's more important to improve the current state than to hope for a better future.
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:41 pm
Self-sustaining offworld colonies are a necessary step to begin with :ghost: If it was up to me, we'd have that Mars colony already. I really want sci-fi stuff to start happening.

What's annoying is that it was happening. And then we mostly stopped. Infuriating.

Returning to the subject of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, though, the season's not over.

Jose is still churning away, and Lee exists but may remain a tropical storm due to shear, but Maria is potentially a threat for developing into another hurricane headed for the Antilles.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:08 am
Flatfingers wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:37 pm
Self-sustaining offworld colonies may be a necessary step for preserving the species until immortality drugs or The Singularity happens.
How would immortality drugs remove the need for offworld colonies for species preservation?

It's certainly speculative, but there's a plausible scenario under which immortality drugs cause humanity to lose its interest in expansion. This scenario assumes something like a decayed, decadent global culture that has lost interest in anything other than the perpetuation of its immediate pleasures forever. Tell me you can look at the world today and not think this is, at least, a thing humanity is capable of doing.

But to be fair, there's a more optimistic scenario: "Now that we're virtually immortal, we can travel among the stars at sub-light speeds." (This was the conceit that James Blish used in his fantastic "Cities in Flight" tetralogy, which I highly recommend.) This is also plausible, although it depends on enough inventive human beings working together under a shared agreement that exploring the universe is a thing worth doing. That's... possible.

TL;DR: I agree that immortality would not remove a rational need for offworld colonies for species preservation, but it might remove the desire to achieve this goal.

Online Now