Return to “General”

Re: Forum Upgrade

Nice! Thanks, Tal!

Saaaayyyy... is there a thread anywhere (maybe stickied) that has links to each of the Development videos that Josh posted to YouTube, along with maybe a brief description of that video's highlights?

No? :(

Josh posted some higher-quality torrent-thingies here, but it would be nice to have pointers to the YouTube videos for quick access to That Which Was Shown In The Before-Time.
Last edited by Flatfingers on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In that case, here's a new challenge for you. :D

I'm currently test-driving a new browser called Brave (from the guy who developed JavaScript). So far I've liked it enough that it's now my desktop browser of choice.

(It's basically forked from Chromium, so it's functionally a workalike for Chrome, only not made by Google.)

I'm mentioning this here because today I was testing mobile Brave and hit a snag using the LT forum. When I try to create a new message, the top line (with the forum -> subforum breadcrumbs) is floating on top of the upper-left corner of the message text area. This obscures anything I might write.

I'm not sure yet whether this is a quirk of mobile Brave, or if maybe the forum software is using a default CSS instead of recognizing Brave as similar to Chrome. I'm still testing for compatibility elsewhere; for now I'm just throwing this out there to document it.

Or if you're bored. ;) No expectations, though, seriously.

(Note: I wrote this with the mobile Safari browser, which mostly works fine.)

Ah... yeah, I'll look into that. Never even heard of that browser, though. My guess is it has some built-in css that screws with everything. iOS does the same thing and it really screws things up. I imagine some browsers could easily amplify that effect. If that's the case, there may not be much I can do about it, other than tell you to go get a "real" browser. :ghost: (That's a cop-out, I know, but I had to make the joke)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Well, it's not like I deleted mobile Safari from my phone. A little annoying to have to keep it just for the LT forums, but I've been through worse things.

One funny point is that after I started using Brave, I went to edit the CSS/HTML/JS for my current game project. I even went so far as to create new recognizers for Brave...

...and then I discovered that I didn't need to make any changes at all. My recognizer recognized Brave as Chrome, and since they're nearly identical in core features, even the freaky weird display stuff I do in my game (three different browser graphics flavors I have to use in CSS, oy) worked Just Fine.

So I wasn't expecting anything to work differently in their mobile browser. Ah, well.

No worries, Flatfingers :P I'm looking into it. I was being silly in the latter half of my post - don't take it seriously. :) I'll do my best to make sure it works appropriately on Brave.

edit: Okay, I installed Brave, but... the forums look perfectly normal there. :eh: I'm not sure what the problem is, Flat, or how to fix it.

edit edit: I'll try installing brave on my phone.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Silverware wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:04 pm
Without the google integration of Chrome, I see no point.

Eliminating integration with Google is a feature, not a bug.

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:07 pm
I installed Brave, but... the forums look perfectly normal there. :eh: I'm not sure what the problem is, Flat, or how to fix it.

edit edit: I'll try installing brave on my phone.

Yep; desktop Brave seems fine; it's just entering text on a phone (in both horizontal and vertical modes) that I had problems with.

Online Now