Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Thursday, August 31, 2017

Watching episode 21 'the one with the warp rails..' I'd like to have the warp lanes asteroid free, either by small drones cleaning the lanes...or lasers zapping the asteroids from a far.....smashing into asteroids at warp lane speed would be a disaster! Also.... no need to stress the engine with collision detection while in a warp lane? Looks clunky to fly through a asteroid.

RedDwarfMinning wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:59 am
Watching episode 21 'the one with the warp rails..' I'd like to have the warp lanes asteroid free, either by small drones cleaning the lanes...or lasers zapping the asteroids from a far.....smashing into asteroids at warp lane speed would be a disaster! Also.... no need to stress the engine with collision detection while in a warp lane? Looks clunky to fly through a asteroid.
From the theory-crafting days I remember a few people getting excited about mounting thrusters onto an asteroid, and directing it into oncoming traffic on a warp rail :lol:
Easy farming for loot etc.. hopefully this somehow gets in :D

On the subject between lua vs python, I finally found some solace in the differences between Lua and Python.
Link is here.
The answer follows:
really love Lua, but it does have some real limitations, and as others have mentioned they derive mostly from Lua's origins as a configuration file language and then later as an embedded scripting language.

Because of the goal to keep Lua small, there exists only a very tiny standard library, that has only bare bones functionality.

This has lead to an unfortunate culture in Lua circles where Lua developers like to re-implement the functionality offered by many other language's standard libraries themselves rather than working collectively on a universally accepted set of core libraries.

Things like multi-threading, regular expressions, platform independent file access methods, and even bit operations (until 5.2) ere all "not included" since they would make Lua much larger and slower. Sure you can get libraries do so these things - but then those have independent maintainers and quality levels.

Don't get me wrong. I love Lua for the same reasons I have just listed.
So the way I see it is that Lua is the sweet spot for performant code, as it starts off small. Josh has managed to use it's small footprint to integrate nicely with C, and we have a whopping unrefined dynamic asteroid field of tremendous performance.
Can we talk about numbers now Josh? I'm getting excited again :)
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Hey guys. It's been quiet for a bit so I wanted to pop on with a small update.

I don't want to spoil any goodies that may appear in the real update, but we are continuing to make really awesome progress. I spent a few more days fleshing out the debug UI. I added automatic layout capabilities, scroll views, and a ton of polish. It's really quite sexy. I also fixed a robustness issue with the BSP trees and knocked another 0.6 microseconds off the ray intersection test with my 330,000 triangle test case (5.6 us overall. That's probably decent, right?). And finally a bunch of quality of life improvements for us developers.

Josh made some major strides with cleanup, simplification, and new features of CTypes. We spent some time discussing the right way to compose entities and run their logic and landed on a solid solution that we're moving forward with. This required thinking though how mods will interact with the system. As usual the goal is to make sure they're a first class citizen and that it's easy to alter, extend, and replace existing logic. On that note, there just might be some shinies in order for the next update.

There are a lot of interesting details I'm glossing over, but hey, I don't want to give up everything so early, ya know?

AdamByrd wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:24 pm
Hey guys. It's been quiet for a bit so I wanted to pop on with a small update.

I don't want to spoil any goodies that may appear in the real update, but we are continuing to make really awesome progress. I spent a few more days fleshing out the debug UI. I add automatic layout capabilities, scroll views, and a ton of polish. It's really quite sexy. I also fixed a robustness issue with the BSP trees and knocked another 0.6 microseconds off the ray intersection test with my 330,000 triangle test case (5.6 us overall. That's probably decent, right?). And finally a bunch of quality of life improvements for us developers.

Josh made some major strides with cleanup, simplification, and new features of CTypes. We spent some time discussing the right way to compose entities and run their logic and landed on a solid solution that we're moving forward with. This required thinking though how mods will interact with the system. As usual the goal is to make sure they're a first class citizen and that it's easy to alter, extend, and replace existing logic. On that note, there just might be some shinies in order for the next update.

There are a lot of interesting details I'm glossing over, but hey, I don't want to give up everything so early, ya know?
I hope this thinking includes how to identify where and how different mods aren't playing well with each other, would be helpful when you have 500-5000 mods installed.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:04 am
Thanks for the update, Adam! Nice of you to tide us over until Josh posts next. In the meantime, in case anyone missed it, Josh posted the next Kickstarter update. :)
Yes, thanks for the update, Adam. :thumbup: :)

I didn't miss the KS update, Nathan, and this time I decided to add a comment as it appeared to me that all our talk of improved ships for LT may have caught the attention of Josh. :D :angel:

Online Now