Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

This got put to the side for a number of reasons. Some of the minor ones were an apparent lack of interest (or what I saw as a lack of interest), feeling kind of like I couldn't compare to the IRL RPGs a few of you guys were playing, noticing that a few of the major players weren't really hanging around as much, and some disparaging comments a couple people made. (Not going to list names, but it wasn't you guys.)

The biggest reason, though, was me realizing that the forum/community activity was dwindling. REKT is great for maintaining activity, but it's not particularly good or efficient at bringing in new activity. I mean, it can, but realistically, REKT activity is confined to the number of players I can handle in a single game. In this case... only 10. That's not so good. Instead, I tried focusing my efforts on convincing Josh to let me help with the code - thus accelerating LT's development and getting it to you guys faster - hopefully fast enough to keep the community from dying all but completely. In addition, if Josh gave the go-ahead, I could give you guys more frequent updates on what I was working on, which might actually serve to bolster community activity a lot more efficiently than REKT could.

I don't want to toot my own horn here, but I did actually manage to impress Josh greatly (he said as much) with the AI program I wrote up. Josh also said he'd love to have me on the dev team, but for one problem: I don't live in Baton Rouge. Apparently that's a deal breaker for him. No Baton Rouge, no coding. Had I known this before I made the mad dash to impress Josh, I might not have made said mad dash in the first place.

My current problem is figuring out: what's the most efficient way to bring back LT forum activity in terms of active member count? And... I'm not really sure how to go about doing that, other than trying to make Josh post regular updates - scheduled updates - which is something he seems to have a lot of trouble doing these days.

In the meantime, I should be able to pick this back up, provided there's still enough interest. It's honestly killing me to see the dwindling forum activity, though. Two months and only a few LTFC entries? That would've been unthinkable a year ago. :( I'm doing my best, but I think it's getting to be more than I know how to fix. At this point, the best fix idea I had was trying to accelerate LT's development, as mentioned above, and when that failed... well, it's back to square one.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno here seems to think that because we did not bug him about doing REKT updates, it means we were not interested, as explained to me by the Talvieno.

Talvieno is wrong.

We did not bug Talvieno because we are polite people and assumed the same strategy as we did with Josh - he must be busy, we trust he is doing what is best, and better not bug him about it.

The only reason we resisted torturing Talvieno on every nook and corner about doing more REKT is because we respect him.

Do what you think is best Talvieno, we trust in you, and we really do love REKT, even if we are timid about not wanting to poke and jab you about it in on your busyness.

Talvieno wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:15 am
feeling kind of like I couldn't compare to the IRL RPGs a few of you guys were playing
Because why believe me when I say I prefer REKT over the RL DnD I play amirite :ghost:
Talvieno wrote: noticing that a few of the major players weren't really hanging around as much
What Trigger said.
ENGAGE THE POKE-MONSTERS
Talvieno wrote: and some disparaging comments a couple people made. (Not going to list names, but it wasn't you guys.)
Dinosawer wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:02 am
WHO ARE THEY AND HOW DARE THEY
*smacks fist in hand and fails to be threatening in any way*
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Talvieno wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:15 am
It's honestly killing me to see the dwindling forum activity, though. Two months and only a few LTFC entries? That would've been unthinkable a year ago. :( I'm doing my best, but I think it's getting to be more than I know how to fix. At this point, the best fix idea I had was trying to accelerate LT's development, as mentioned above, and when that failed... well, it's back to square one.
I really don't want to be discouraging, but my honest opinion is that there isn't really much that you specifically can do about it. As I see it LT's PR situation is pretty much unsalvageable to pre-2015 levels, barring the game getting released. At this point most people seem to have moved on and there's quite a lot of skepticism associated with the game. As good as a community manager you are, there are simply things that are completely out of your control - realistically, no one could have prevented the 2015-2016 blackout, which was kind of the event that brought the community to it's current state.

Frankly, LT just doesn't inspire confidence in a lot of people anymore. As talented as the dev is and as good as the game concept, a lot of pretty severe mistakes were made over the last 5 years - there's no denying that(and none of them were even remotely your fault, as far as I remember, and there's no way you could have prevented them). I say this from a relatively neutral, semi-outsider point of view - I'm not a donator, and I was never particularly invested in the game anyway(to me it was just another cool in-development game that I would occasionally check in on and probably pick up on release, but no 'emotional' investment in it).

What I'm trying to say is that I personally think is that the only person who could permanently solve the current community situation is Josh himself. Your dedication to the game is highly admirable, but there's little you or anyone else(except Josh) can do to solve the hurdles that the game is currently facing. To me it seems that you're in a lot of stress. Now, I'm just a random internet stranger and obviously know little about your life situation, but based on some of your comments earlier about IRL issues and such, maybe you should take it easier with LT and focus more on other things in your life(that you actually have a shot at solving, unlike LT). Definitely forget about REKT if you ask me, at least for now. As fun as it is(believe me, I've had a fantastic time with it), it's a massive time-waster for you, and you're obviously tight on time and have way more important problems to tackle.

Genuinely hope I don't come across as patronizing. Again, I'm just an internet stranger and do not claim that I know the full details of your life, just giving my 2 cents on the situation based on the limited info I have.

Online Now