Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Thursday, August 31, 2017

Good tidings!

Have you tested/ could you test what a low end pc or laptop could currently do before dropping below 60fps?
I'm very curious how your engine power scales between different computers.
Would AMD do as well as Intel? Will my laptop version of a graphics be capable of the same things a desktop version of it can?

What as of yet implemented things do you thing will still increase the performance costs of your engine? Would autonomous AI for those hundreds of ships make an impact? What about movable parts on more complex ship designs?

And while I would like to play single player only, I envision potential for a multiplayer where each player has their home system, and the other player's systems are accessible as long as they're on-line (portal active based on status) you could have a thriving branching on-line network where you can isolate yourself amongst friends or take part in eve on-line sized strategy in larger communities where your system is one in a ring. Find new systems through your friends wormhole connections, and and make strategic decisions how you order your systems.

And I hate to ask it, and you can tell me off if you want me to shut up about it, but how's your schedule been? staying healthy?

As I read this devlog, I cant help but compare it to the older ones. The recent ones, while informative, seemed to be about reassuring the community that work was being done. This one on the other hand brings me back to when Josh was still doing the dev videos. There was a time when he was always excited to show what had been done, but the length and pressure started to kick in and they became a chore rather than a fun little side note. This post hearkens back to those days when it was easy to tell how excited Josh is to work on LT. It's good to see the enthusiasm again. Enjoy your weekend everybody.

JoshParnell wrote:Just for kicks [...] throw asteroids around in the same star system.
Seems like Josh is close to implementing his most favourite gameplay feature for testing, maybe even for multiplayer enjoyment! :ghost:

SHOOTING ASTEROIDS!
Spoiler:      SHOW

He even spoke about this way back in his Demo #3 video:
JoshParnell wrote:In previous demos I've been shooting asteroids.
But in this demo I'm gonna make other people do [the shooting].
[...]
Why would you want to attack an asteroid? I'm not sure, but you know, one of the key elements to limit theory is freedom.
Please don't get any weird ideas Josh...

JoshParnell wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:29 pm
Hyperion wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:52 pm
Okay, fair enough that not every asteroid is fully dynamic, but does this mean orbital mechanics for planets and stations and zones of asteroids as a whole is now possible? Even if interpolated at LOD? Adding it for every asteroid might not add much, besides being able to lob asteroids at the enemy like a catapult! but having a system where the planets fly around in different orbits around a star, the planets have moons and the moons have orbiting stations? that WOULD add a lot.
Well, the problem with orbital mechanics / moving stellar bodies has always been about the collision detection side of the physics engine. It takes a hell of a broadphase structure to be able to handle moving objects that differ in scale factor by 6+ orders of magnitude without dying a fiery death. So I would say that's a different technical problem entirely. But I do think it's one that our broadphase structures will be able to handle in some way or another!
Eeeeeeeexcellent. :)

Thanks to you and Adam for another burst of solid work, Josh, and for this update. Along with the procedural system generation and multi-system AI milestones, I'm looking forward to when you start talking about specific gameplay feature implementation choices -- I expect that to spark a burst of creative discussion that we haven't seen in this forum (not for lack of some folks trying!) in quite some time. I've missed that.

Hey Josh, is there any chance we might get some wallpaper material for different monitor setups? I already took one of the eye-candies for my laptop, but I would really like to have something that I can use as a background of my dual monitor setup.

Apart from that, great Devlog once again :) It is great to see that all the work has paid off.

erf wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:06 am
Awesome update - it seem things are really coming together.

Also the nebulas looks beautiful. I think it's a good idea to work on the under-the-hood stuff, but If i may suggest something to improve on the graphics side, i think the asteroids could have better lighting / shadows, also the ships looks kind of square and bulky - compared to say Elite Dangerous.

Anyways, keep up the great work.
You know, in the very early gameplay demo series (1-5) had some awesome designs which looked really good, and were in my opinion the best designs we've seen generated by the LT engine. Josh, if you still have that algorithm, do you think you could re-implement that code to get ships looking really good again? I think with the additional shaders/texturing/lighting they will look very good now.

Hey Josh and Adam, hope I got this right. I'm sure I make more than my fair share of mistakes as I review your dev log :oops:

This was a fun one. But how about a video one of these days?? Or you and Adam could do a video! Show some code, talk about it. Maybe just not 5 minutes of saying "Ctypes" and "BSPs" :D.

Anyways, here's my video. Not sure if I should post it as a new comment or edit my old comment, but I think going forward I'll just make a new comment...

https://youtu.be/tfn8cFxmUDc
Shoot ALL the things!

Online Now