Return to “Suggestions”

Some Aesthetic Ideas

I've come across a number of images recently that scream the LT aesthetic that I would like to see. I've put them together in a gallery here. I also have descriptions of how and where I would think these images could serve as inspiration for various parts of the game. None of these images are my own work.

Spoiler:      SHOW
Image I think this would be a lovely beacon. Notably the expanding concentric semispheres with different colors. The colors could of course be identifying markers for just what it is the beacon is picking up, much like the scanner frequency (And perhaps a visual alternative to the frequency graph)

Image A delicious lovely loading screen, or perhaps a curtain hiding the construction of a ship at a shipyard

Image A cursor!

Image Honestly, no idea where this would be functionally useful, but it's damn pretty.

Image I imagine travelling through a wormhole might look something like this.

Image Travelling through a wormhole Part 2

Image Signal Lost.
Image The outside of a wormhole. pulsing with different colors

Image A flying formation of drones, where they form concentric hexagons that spin in opposite directions, leaving a wake in the path of their alternating directions.

Image The background image to an avatar, it's strange but it's their culture, you don't have to understand it.

Image Loading screen? Nodal Menu? Yes Please :D

Image More the idea of sinusoidal waves of parallel platelets than anything else, It made me think that an isometric view of the frequency scanner would look amazing!
Image This might be a way to show a lot of information about a star system on a map, with a bright light at the center, translucent toroids with different colors to represent known factions, and particles to represent the activity/population of a system.
Image This immediately struck me as a great way to visualize interstellar empires, as having almost a mucus like translucent envelope around the systems they control. The systems wouldn't jiggle like in the image, but in a 3d map it could really offer a more coherent way to envision what a particular faction's territory looks like
Image Something like this seems like it would be a good "rally point" marker for 3d space
Image This is a power core if I've ever seen one, something like this might be nice to see in schematic, hologram views of a ship or station
Image This seems like a good "working" icon for an overview of projects.
Image A good Planetary Beacon, or perhaps containment field
Image Loading Screen? Cursor? maybe :)
Image The icon for "RELEASE THE DRONES!"
Image Image Image Image Image Image More images from inside a wormhole!. If a variety of these could be combined, LT wormholes would be absolutely gorgeous! :shock:
Image Another, gooey, fluidlike way of showing the frequency scanner. Especially useful is color variation of the blobs, indicating different signals in the same scan
Image Just an animation guide for switching between windows. Just imagine a data screen being painted onto each of those polygons, and then being "flipped" in 3 dimensions to reveal other screens
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image More loading/"working"/beacon/cursor Icons
Image Maybe a scan-refresh image, behaving like windshield wipers
Image "We are being Hailed Sir."
Image This could be so many things, from the game's main menu to a project manager, to... :shock:

Sorry, it's a bit unorganized, but inspiration often is :lol:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can
Re: Some Aesthetic Ideas

Woooow
They certainly are pretty. I like the wormhole one, though not visually accurate in any sense it would still be stunning. :P
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Flatfingers wrote:The thing is, virtually every one of those, if it wasn't actually generated procedurally, could be.

Talk about being a good fit for Limit Theory....
Glad you noticed! :D that was a real part of the appeal. Would I prefer my limit theory to look like a moving renaissance painting? Yes. but until that becomes possible to do procedurally (which I believe several of these were), psychedelic minimalism is my general aesthetic vision for LT.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer

Charley_Deallus wrote:Limit Theory Psychedelic mod.
:lol: Add Tie dye nebulae to these graphics.
Add Fractal stations
Image and
Image and
and glowing ships with pulsing light
Stoners will consider LT one of the greatest games ever.
Imagination Fertilizer

so I went desktop hunting, and found a whole bunch of images, i'll include the ships in the ship concept thread as well, but here is what I found, and what they made me think as possibilities

Space Phenomena
Rivers of stars

Accretion Disks

Portals to other dimensions

Novae

Galaxies

White Holes

Spacequakes-Rips in reality, very dangerous

Spaceflowers

3D wormhole/hyperspace tubes
Stations and Jumpgates
Small Stations

Large Stations

A mobile Jumpgate

Small Jumpgates

Large Jumpgates

Fleet sized Jumpgates
Colonies
Pareidolic Icons
Ships
Some UI stuff I think would be cool
PCG images of a colony, background at shipyard

PCG backgrounds for interfaces (every interface could have a unique background per seed!)
Image tiles, could put patterns on each tile :monkey:

Radial Menu Star
Imagination Fertilizer

Online Now