Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Saturday, July 29, 2017

the weekly dev logs are coming with longer and longer time spans seperating them, i believe it is because they are working on big things, or Lil' LT ? :eh:
at least on the 4 last devlogs the time period between them seemed to approximately doubled every time
i really hope my prediction is incorrect and there will be a devlog before end of august
IRC "In Josh we trust"

Guys! Gals! Hey. I'm just popping on to check in with a super ultra tiny mini update.

Things are starting to move fast. Lil'T is alive and kicking. And producing pixels. Actual pixels! (Seriously, I've spent so much time staring at text books and data dumps these last three months I almost forgot we're making a game. With nebulas and rocks and space pirates.) I've been working to nail down how we're going to be writing actual gameplay code. That means fleshing out how Lua talks to C to keep heavy bits and allocations in fast code land, how to make that Lua feel 'normal' and not like C grafted onto Lua (metatables are really nice!), making sure LuaJIT actually jits to assembly, iterating on the engine API to remove friction, and building a prototype solar system. I'm insanely excited about the progress we've been making. All the mountainous unknowns are now small piles of exploded rubble. We're moving faster by the day.

The GIF floodgates are opening soon, my friends.

What a time to be alive.

AdamByrd wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:59 am
Guys! Gals! Hey. I'm just popping on to check in with a super ultra tiny mini update.

Things are starting to move fast. Lil'T is alive and kicking. And producing pixels. Actual pixels! (Seriously, I've spent so much time staring at text books and data dumps these last three months I almost forgot we're making a game. With nebulas and rocks and space pirates.) I've been working to nail down how we're going to be writing actual gameplay code. That means fleshing out how Lua talks to C to keep heavy bits and allocations in fast code land, how to make that Lua feel 'normal' and not like C grafted onto Lua (metatables are really nice!), making sure LuaJIT actually jits to assembly, iterating on the engine API to remove friction, and building a prototype solar system. I'm insanely excited about the progress we've been making. All the mountainous unknowns are now small piles of exploded rubble. We're moving faster by the day.

What a time to be alive.
Josh. This right here?! This is what we want. :D (at least when you are busy)
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

AdamByrd wrote:
I'm insanely excited about the progress we've been making. All the mountainous unknowns are now small piles of exploded rubble. We're moving faster by the day. The GIF floodgates are opening soon, my friends. What a time to be alive.

Now we see why Josh was comfortable inviting you to work together: you write very much like he does. :D

That's not criticism, BTW.

One serious observation:

AdamByrd wrote:
...fleshing out how Lua talks to C to keep heavy bits and allocations in fast code land, how to make that Lua feel 'normal' and not like C grafted onto Lua (metatables are really nice!), making sure LuaJIT actually jits to assembly, iterating on the engine API to remove friction

I know that Josh has spoken briefly before to what it may be like for us unwashed masses to tinker with the Lua bits of Limit Theory. (I went to try to find the link, but Search seems to be not working well at the moment.) Per my memory of Josh's response, it should mostly be like writing Lua.

Is that changing? From these comments about tuning the C/assembly/LuaJIT/Lua interactions, I'm wondering again how much specialized knowledge will be needed by external modders to make changes and enhancements without destructive side effects or severe performance lossage.

I wouldn't call this a "concern." I'm confident that smart people will be able to figure out how to do this well. I'm certainly not asking for significant handholding.

I'm just curious how much special-case knowledge for Limit Theory will be required, in addition to learning vanilla Lua, for typical modding projects. (FWIW, I'd classify "typical" projects as likely to be in two flavors: 1) behavior tweaking, which I'd expect would mostly just be straight Lua, and 2) major behavior editing or feature addition. I'm guessing that latter kind of project would be where the hardcore "OMG don't ever do X" rules unique to modding LT would need to be communicated... or discovered.)

I've already mentioned this before, so if it's considered to be "asked and answered," good enough.

vector67 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:16 pm
AdamByrd wrote:
...iterating on the engine API to remove friction...
I didn't realize it was so hard just to remove friction :crazy: :?
The universe is made of friction.

AdamByrd wrote:

What a time to be alive.
Thanks Adam, I (cant speak for everyone) do not need a long devlog, this will do, just wanna hear you guys are all well and progress is being made :)
procedurally generated comment

AdamByrd wrote:

What a time to be alive.

Couldn't help myself. I needed to make an update video! So here it is, based on your post here Adam: https://youtu.be/tlAJXgKQ1Kk

By the way, you really need a Forum avatar :thumbup:
Shoot ALL the things!

davidparadis wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:59 am
Couldn't help myself. I needed to make an update video! So here it is, based on your post here Adam: https://youtu.be/tlAJXgKQ1Kk
Oh man, my words have been immortalized in video. That's new. Cool.

Also, I couldn't help but notice you mispronounced GIF. It's ok, it was a mini update so I'm sure it was a bit seat-of-the-pants and you just slipped up.

davidparadis wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:59 am
By the way, you really need a Forum avatar
If a super cool atom logo magically appears (hint hint), I'll certainly make use of it. :P

Online Now