Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Official "Hi, I'm New" thread

Hi everyone

Longtime lurker here... been following the progress of LT for over 3 years, reading the forums pretty regularly, so I feel like I already know the usual suspects pretty well!

I've been a gamer, off and on, for longer than I care to remember, from PC to console and back again, and across most genres, somewhat haphazardly - but I have a particular love of space games and the sense of scale and imagination they offer. I was terrible at Elite back in the day - somehow missed Freelancer entirely - adored TIE Fighter (flying with Big Darth was some of the most fun ever). Homeworld and its ilk had a particular pull...
Later I was consumed by the universe of Eve (and what it represented for the future of gaming & simulated realities), though terrible at that too. Then there's Kerbal Space Program; my logged hours are a bit scary...

I kinda gamed myself out when I should've been studying, on top of working; I had some considerable empathy for Josh and the 'dark days' of LT's progress - but I'm certain it will come to a similarly happy conclusion. Since then I've been enjoying time spent in RL, catching up on practical and creative Stuff, and gaming's back to being fun. I've been happily noodling round in solo mode in Elite: Dangerous; have some love for that despite a rocky start. I could be persuaded to get some VR gear on the strength of ED's galaxy map alone (a new PC is on the cards whatever). Plunging into the gravity well of a gas giant at many multiples of c greatly satisfies the astronomer, science fiction fan and armchair pilot in me; it feels 'real'.

So to call LT 'Eve offline" (crossed with Homeworld and E:D) is probably unfair but in shorthand basically what appeals to me - the experience, the vistas, the scale, its 'aliveness' - and I can pause it. I can save it, and load it, experiment, run it as a simulation, a number of them all evolving differently - and letting me be as crap or credulous as I like in space without some ninja zealot tutting at me online.

The difficult and protracted progress of the game has drawn me into reading these forums for some time, the first and only game I have followed so closely, and its community. I follow in particular the interesting discussions about game design and implementation etc, the coding of LT and the challenges, though it's certainly not anything I know about. With the renewed impetus of LT - some very positive signs, I believe - I thought I'd pop out of the shadows and say hello properly. I'm wish I'd been a backer, but I'm happy to wait. The LT universe will be mine (I never negotiate)... watching everyone's different gameplay, what they make of it, will be fascinating too. See you out there.

Antony

Wow, three years lurking? :lol: A thousand times welcome! :clap: Happy you decided to go ahead and make your first post! We're very glad to have you aboard. :) And thanks for the story you've shared. Don't know about anyone else, but I always relish the opportunity to get to know you guys better. At any rate, hopefully our (insane, some might say) antics have brought you a smile at least once or twice... and now you get to join in on the fun. :twisted: Provided you stick around, of course, which I hope you do... and seeing as it's been three years, quite likely.

As to E:D, a lot of us here have mixed feelings, but there are a number that jump in from time to time. I'm not sure if you heard about the antics of Cap'n Goatchops and crew, but some of us have had a good bit of fun there.

Nice to see you here, General, and once again, welcome! :wave:

edit: Ninja'd by Cody! I must be getting old... :lol:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I can at least work out how to collapse sections when I'm in the mood to waffle, for those who prefer a tl:dr :)

Thanks for alerting me to the E:D inclined among the community. Might try and catch y'all there sometime. I know I'm missing a whole dimension of the game playing solo. I am trying to store up some gaming mojo for LT tho, hence more reading of forums than putting hours of gametime in wherever.

I think very few of us actually prefer a tl;dr. We're a bit of an oddball community in that sense. :lol: If you make a post, we'll typically read it. :) No worries there.

The ones I know for sure were playing E:D in a group are Outlander, BMRX, Silverware, and Goatchops. I know IronDuke plays as well, but I don't think he was playing in the same group. I know Lum plays too, on occasion (if I'm recalling correctly, anyway).
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Howdy! :mrgreen:

As you can see towards the left (<---) or maybe when you clicked on the thread, I'm Vivacia, known by a few people as few other things. (Got a lot of usernames, too hard to keep track of so let's stick to Vivacia/Varn. :P) Nice to meet you! ^.^

Unlike many people over here, I wouldn't really call myself a gam--waitwaITWAIT--I do play games, yes. I love games, true. I WANT to play games, very true.
...although, I haven't played many games nor have I spent a lot of time playing them. School comes in between and my parents hate video games. I have no proper resources or precious moolah to. ;~; Hopefully in the near future I'll buy a mouse (yes, I don't have one but I still play FPS, I've played both of the Portal games like that, don't ask me how.) and a good gaming laptop. :D And then I can become an actual gamer. Yep.

I've been really interested in games like Elite: Dangerous, Stellaris and basically anything involving space. My best buddy told me about Limit Theory and it immediately caught my attention. I absolutely love the idea, I really, really, really, want to play it. Thank you, Det. ^.^

I'm sorry if I seem out of place here because of my lack of experience and general behaviour, I'll try my best to fit in though. Other than all of that, I don't think there's anything else remotely interesting about me except that I'll be out of school in March. \o/ So, I can pursue my gaming career while in university. Fun times ahead.

Thanks for reading this, sorry as it's preeeetty long. :ghost:

The idea with this forum is that it's a completely botched-up smorgasbord of people who don't hardly fit into their clothes, let alone this place. :twisted:

Generally what you want to do is find a squirrel picture, post it in this thread, post :train: in all the new dev-log posts, and stay at least ninety feet from Hitman V.

Then sit back and welcome newcomers with terrible advice. :squirrel:

--IronDuke

P.S. If you like games and play them at all you're a gamer. :ghost:
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

Hello, Vivacia! Warm welcome to the forums! :D
Vivacia wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:48 am
I've been really interested in games like Elite: Dangerous, Stellaris and basically anything involving space. My best buddy told me about Limit Theory and it immediately caught my attention. I absolutely love the idea, I really, really, really, want to play it. Thank you, Det. ^.^
:mrgreen: :twisted: :lol: :angel:
I'm sorry if I seem out of place here because of my lack of experience and general behaviour, I'll try my best to fit in though.
As Baile nam Fonn has already stated, you are in and you belong. :)
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Online Now