Return to “Polls”

Do you think we should make a Forum Games subforum?

We should make a "Forum Games" subforum under "Off-topic" so it has equal footing with "Everything & Anything"
Total votes: 4 (24%)
We should make a "Forum Games" subforum under "Everything & Anything"
Total votes: 1 (6%)
We should make a "Forum Games" subforum under "Games"
Total votes: 1 (6%)
I have no strong feelings one way or the other
Total votes: 9 (53%)
I think things are fine how they are
Total votes: 2 (12%)
Total votes: 17
Forum Games subforum?

I'm curious to see what you guys think of this idea.

It's a rather old idea, really, that the mods have bounced around for... well, as long as I've been a moderator, at least. In essence, the idea is to combine all the little "games" threads into one special subforum - the "Forum Games" subforum. "Forum Games" would be threads like the ban thread, the "one game per letter of the alphabet" thread, the "add three words to the previous sentence" thread, and so on. There was really never any vote or real urgency, so we mostly just let things go as they would... and they did. The games are now scattered all across the forums, between General, Creative Writing, Everything & Anything, and Games.

And, here's some potential pros and cons:

Pros:
  • It would help keep them from getting scattered all over the place, and clean up the forum.
  • It might get rid of some of the inherent negativity/judging surrounding people that do/don't post in this kind of thread.
  • It might encourage more forum activity, even if just through game threads.
  • It could pave the way for larger RtDs and other RPG-like games, such as you'd see on Bay12
  • Playthroughs of other games would finally have a proper place.
Cons:
  • It might encourage more people to make dozens of posts there to raise their postcount.
  • It might actually look rather empty, encouraging more people to spam up the place with new game threads.
  • Alternatively, it might create less traffic because the sub-subforum is less accessible than a normal subforum.
  • I'd have to rewrite a few of Taiya's things (minor) to get her to recognize the new board.
  • I'm sure there would be some demand to move REKT there, and that could be a messy debacle.

Mostly I'm just curious to see what other people think of it, but if there's enough demand, I could move things over myself.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Re: Forum Games subforum?

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:11 pm
Cons:
It might encourage more people to make dozens of posts there to raise their postcount.
You can make postcount not count in certain forums.
Talvieno wrote:
I'm sure there would be some demand to move REKT there, and that could be a messy debacle.
REKT is definitely more than just a standard forum game, I think it gets a pass.

If you're worried about the lack of content, I've been considering posting one of my own but never bothered - perhaps I can be persuaded.
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

DigitalDuck wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:22 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Cons:
It might encourage more people to make dozens of posts there to raise their postcount.
You can make postcount not count in certain forums.
Wow, you're right. I had no idea. That would solve a lot of issues with spam and keep people only posting there for fun, rather than "I'm going to raise my postcount". It's something to think about.

Also, I would very gladly welcome more threads. :D I'm also curious about what yours would be.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:27 pm
That would solve a lot of issues with spam and keep people only posting there for fun, rather than "I'm going to raise my postcount".
Well then, I think I'd rather not. You see, the majority of my posts are completely useless to the community in this way. :D
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Detritus wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:28 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:27 pm
That would solve a lot of issues with spam and keep people only posting there for fun, rather than "I'm going to raise my postcount".
Well then, I think I'd rather not. You see, the majority of my posts are completely useless to the community in this way. :D
...Trust me, we've noticed. :roll:

At the same time, do we even have enough forum games to justify a subforum? It almost feels like subdividing for the sake of subdividing. :ghost:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:49 am
Detritus wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:28 pm
You see, the majority of my posts are completely useless to the community in this way. :D
...Trust me, we've noticed. :roll:
I know you've noticed. :D
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Online Now