Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

Sorry for doublepost, but I needed the visibility a new post gave me! :oops:

Heya Firedude1218, nice to read you again! :wave:
Just wanted to point out that people came up with a system to distinguish their planned actions from the complementary text.
That's for making it easier for Talvieno to quickly see what we want to do. And, sorry for saying that, I had to look through your post for a bit to see the bit where you wanted to move over to the mess hall.

With that format it's quite easy to overlook some of your intentions. So if you could please separate and underline your planned actions for future reference? It probably would make planning and working out the turns a fair bit easier.

If there are questions to the formatting, there's usually someone the IRC for questions. Or just ask on the forums!

:)

(Sorry for doublepost again >.<)
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:56 am
A thing for mapism.

http://talvieno.com/REKT/nemesis/mapview.html

It's blocky because I don't want to have to map out the corridors and everything. It's easier to just do it like this. :P I don't have a tool I'm proficient at that would permit me to do that quickly anyway.
I feel so... OUTDATED

I'll try to make something. No promises. Too bad it does not rotate.

Easier for me than detailed top-down maps. :P And no, it doesn't rotate - while it is 3D, it's merely a series of renders overlaid atop each other. Fast to make, hardly any work (relatively speaking). I think I spent two hours on the whole thing, including rendering. :lol:

I could provide you some very ugly MS Paint top-down sort-of-deck-maps if you want them.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:53 am
Easier for me than detailed top-down maps. :P And no, it doesn't rotate - while it is 3D, it's merely a series of renders overlaid atop each other. Fast to make, hardly any work (relatively speaking). I think I spent two hours on the whole thing, including rendering. :lol:

I could provide you some very ugly MS Paint top-down sort-of-deck-maps if you want them.
Please do. I would make something out of that.

Triggerhappy wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:56 am
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:54 am
>spaceship
>guns are only on the top
I'm working on it.
Really, I think if he were to make the render show ALL the guns, the entire surface of the ship would glow red on that render.
Trigger, you are aware that your artwork probably won't become "The" Nemesis Map, right? That would put some serious restraints on the story I could tell... not to mention my vision of the ship differs somewhat from yours. :P Your map would be very useful, and I'm extremely grateful and happy you've decided to make it, but at times I will probably stray from it a bit... partly due to differing ideas, partly because it's hard to keep all that in my head, partly because it may create roadblocks on occasion that I don't want players to have to deal with, etc.

Cornflakes - top and sides, but those are just the heaviest guns, good for firing a strong tactical broadside with (while shielding most of the ship behind the thickest layer of armor). There were more underneath, but we landed on them and I hadn't gotten far enough along to add them yet for that reason. Nemesis as a whole is still a bit WIP, in regards to the complete layout. It was never intended to go into large-scale combat by itself. It's an assault-support ship, really - intended to be (when in combat) supporting the assault troops with fighters, repairs, AA fire, etc., likely from slightly further behind, but not as far back as you'd want a traditional carrier or something without much AA fire. It can hold its own in smaller battles, especially as it is actually very, very good at spinning itself about around its central axis. (Or it was, anyway.) That's part of why most of the main guns are on one side; it is built to be particularly good at reorienting itself - especially by rolling. It helps that the heaviest armor also happens to be on that side.

Spoiler:      SHOW
The Nemesis was designed in the earliest days after Anomalous Materials were discovered in 2943. Acheron (Tartarus's predecessor) came to a rather violent and bloody end in 3014, nearly a century after all the original founders had died or retired. Tartarus Incorporated was founded on those ashes from a large pool of money, by Redwaison Seckelforn and Vanelsa Parenger, and it quickly became a more popular alternative than Mimir (although this faded over the past 140 years, and Mimir now leads in terms of popularity). At the time, Anomalous Material technology was still rather young, and engineers/architects were still discovering optimal uses for it. Some of these uses, while brilliant, were inefficient in regards to energy requirements - such as the design of the Nemesis's main maneuvering thrusters.

The Nemesis's nacelle-based maneuvering thrusters are not uni-directional, but instead use a combination of gyros, swivel mounts, and (most importantly and specifically) projected shielding to control the direction of thrust, permitting not only the protection of the thrusters, but the ability to point nacelle-engine-scale thrust in any direction, permitting not only fast stopping and reverse acceleration, but fast turning and even faster rolling. The Nemesis is quite capable of spinning on its central axis like a top, and getting there in under a minute. Granted, this would probably strain the gravity generators well past their limits and everyone inside would become a slurry-like coat of red paint on the outwards-facing walls, but it's capable of these sorts of things. (Or, again, was capable.)

Of course, with all great pros come great cons. The cons in this case are that the level of energy consumption required for such a maneuver are quite high - higher than most ships are willing or capable to deal with. This necessitated a much stronger reactor, sturdier, bulkier power conduits and capacitors, more anomalous materials (which were even more expensive and rare back then than they are in 3152). In short: The Nemesis was prohibitively expensive to manufacture, and its effect on combat did not (in retrospect) outweigh its effect on Tartarus Inc.'s budget. As such, very few ships like this were ever made, either in Tartarus Incorporated, or elsewhere. Most ships (including the Tartarus itself) use the more traditional, less flashy "use thrusters at the ends that always point sideways" method of turning, and are not particularly good at rolling. The Nemesis, however, is, which has given it enough of an edge in combat that it's survived this long, though it's had many hairy encounters and close scrapes.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now