Return to “Everything & Anything”

Rage about Steam and Linux boot drives

cuisinart8 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:11 pm
So I uninstalled Space Engineers a while back because I never played it and it was taking up obscene amounts of disk space. I went into the Steam folder today to see what games were taking up the most space- and lo and behold, Space Engineers still has multiple GB of files in its folder! I wouldn't even be that mad if I could actually get rid of it, but Steam has made the entire steamapps folder read-only, and nothing I do changes that- I uncheck the read-only box, and it takes 5 mins to apply the change to everything, and I check back in the properties- and read only is checked again! When I try to delete anything, it first asks for admin permission, which I grant, and then says that I need permission from the user account I'm using to delete the files! At this point I want to punch both the Steam programmers and the Win10 ones!

*pulls hair out*

EDIT: typo :oops:
I've been dealing with the exact same issue lately (last night, actually). Tried to uninstall/reinstall skyrim because my copy was messed up and it wouldn't let me reinstall. Does that mean it's a problem with Steam itself? I was worried something was terribly wrong with my hard drive. It installed on my SSD just fine, but I can't believe I had to go that far. I would've rather installed on my much-more-spacious HDD.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Re: Random Rage Thread

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:17 pm
I've been dealing with the exact same issue lately (last night, actually). Tried to uninstall/reinstall skyrim because my copy was messed up and it wouldn't let me reinstall. Does that mean it's a problem with Steam itself? I was worried something was terribly wrong with my hard drive. It installed on my SSD just fine, but I can't believe I had to go that far. I would've rather installed on my much-more-spacious HDD.
Steam appears to make its folders with that permission when it installs things. Maybe it's resetting the permissions because it has a process running. I'll check, hopefully that'll solve the problem.

EDIT: Noooooope. Steam must have screwed with the Windows security settings for those folders more that i thought, which is really annoying. LET ME DELETE MY OWN FILES, DAMMIT!

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:49 pm
Dino - I have yet to actually get a linux boot stick to work. Have tried several different times with several different things - no dice. Easier said than done, less-than-optimal solution. (Or, in this case, not actually a solution.)
Have you enabled USB Boot in bios? :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:42 pm
It was on my old laptop, and yes I did. It just spouted a generic error message and proceeded to boot with Windows instead, every time.
Bios issue or the USB installer was broken then.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:47 pm
My guess is BIOS issue. I mean, it's kind of hard to screw up "Extract these files to a USB stick". :P
You would be surprised.
It's hard to screw up "Rename this file from X to Y" by renaming Z to Q.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Dinosawer wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:50 pm
Well, you have to use the f;asher, not just extract to usb.
But let me get this straight, a linux boot stick isn't a solution for your new laptop because you couldn't get it to work on your old one? :eh:
The real question is why Tal believe's it's butter.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Online Now