Return to “Games”

Re: Ealdorlight (from Sol Trader's dev)

chrismdp wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:33 am
Silverware wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:23 pm
Post a topic in /r/roguelikes/ This is a Roguelike, you should try and spread to the right crowd. :D
Thanks for the shove - it's doing quite well there :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/com ... ic_damage/
Good. :D
Looks like the crowd agrees with me that that is the correct place to post.

Lets hope its enough of a push.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:44 pm
New Kickstarter update (backers only) - Chris has uploaded a combat demo! :D

If you haven't backed it yet, you should... although I fear it would take a miracle to make the Kickstarter succeed at this point. :( I really thought this was a sure thing.
Too soon to declare this a failed Kickstarter, I think.

I expect Chris has some additional goodies to reveal during the backing period. And it's pretty typical to see a big uptick in the final few days; Kicktraq projections never take that into account.

Still, it definitely needs some help; the odds aren't in its favor at the moment. But let's not count it out just yet.

Indeed - I have much more information about how the question and character interaction gameplay will work which I'll post as future updates.

The demo was a huge effort for me - I never planned to release one, but it quickly became clear that it would really help. I'm pleased with how it turned out - let me know what you think!

There's a download link, along with plenty more information about how the combat works on this update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ch ... ts/1920007
Maker of Sol Trader and Ealdorlight

Okee, finally feedback!

I like the graphics, they're nice. Sounds are fairly bland, but ho-hum - it's an alpha, right? Only so much clanking and screeching you need at present. The engine doesn't like my old 5:4 monitor all that much, but I can work around that.

Seems a shame that the combat arena is so small. There's so much more town that could be pillaged!

I like that you can filter what's going on in the battle by person, but is there a way to see an overview of everything?

It probably needs a bit more of an explanation on what the bars mean. I'm guessing pain, blood loss and fear? It's not immediately obvious. Similarly, is there a way to display your or someone elses current advantage? Apart from the text that flashes up, I can't see anything.

Maybe some differentiation between weapons? Maces doing slightly more against heavy armour, spears having a two hex reach, blah blah. Are ranged weapons going to be added?

Still, coming from playing a looooooooot of roguelikes I like the combat system. It reminds me of losing at Angband hundreds of times :twisted:

There's no real overview: at the moment it feels chaotic and I quite like that: you've literally no idea how the others are doing most of the time, which feels like how it would be. In the full game I'll do a record and replay so you can rewatch key moments.

And yes there's lots to do with the different weapons besides the attacks they facilitate. Two hex reach is on the list but produces a surprising number of tricky edge cases to manage, so not in the demo.

As to your other questions - did you see the help button on the ESC men in more recent versions?

Do download the latest if you haven't already. We are currently on the fourth revision since it came out (0.1.4) and the latest has a night mode.
Maker of Sol Trader and Ealdorlight

chrismdp wrote: There's no real overview: at the moment it feels chaotic and I quite like that: you've literally no idea how the others are doing most of the time, which feels like how it would be. In the full game I'll do a record and replay so you can rewatch key moments.

And yes there's lots to do with the different weapons besides the attacks they facilitate. Two hex reach is on the list but produces a surprising number of tricky edge cases to manage, so not in the demo.

As to your other questions - did you see the help button on the ESC men in more recent versions?

Do download the latest if you haven't already. We are currently on the fourth revision since it came out (0.1.4) and the latest has a night mode.
Yeah, good call - I was using an older version. Liking the night fighting :twisted: The help is better too.

Online Now