Return to “Games”

Re: Ealdorlight (from Sol Trader's dev)

For those who are backing or following Chris's new project Ealdorlight on Kickstarter -- and if you aren't but can, why aren't you? -- he's updated the project text a bit.

I mention this not just because you'll now see endorsements from a couple of Limit Theory forum members, but because the "gameplay loop" diagram that caught the attention of a couple of us here has been updated.

The new version, reflecting updated text on the methods by which your character may gain the throne, shows that success is not limited to just two paths. Depending on your play style, and your character's resources (including allies), you may use a combination of several techniques to obtain the crown.

I don't know about you, but I see a diagram like this and I itch to start pulling strings to see what happens. :twisted:

You should be happy to hear this, Flatfingers:
Ealdorlight Kickstarter wrote:I've been asked if death is permanent in Ealdorlight. It is, if you want it to be. Whilst permadeath is a staple of Roguelikes, it can prevent the enjoyment of the game by some players, so Ealdorlight will allow a range of ways to play the game
I think I'm going to bump up my pledge a bit. I really want this to succeed.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:44 pm
You should be happy to hear this, Flatfingers:
Ealdorlight Kickstarter wrote:I've been asked if death is permanent in Ealdorlight. It is, if you want it to be. Whilst permadeath is a staple of Roguelikes, it can prevent the enjoyment of the game by some players, so Ealdorlight will allow a range of ways to play the game
Very pleased with this, yes. As I said in the comment I just left on this KS update, it's great to see games that try to respect the different ways that people like to have fun.

Or as we like to say here: "Sliders." :D

I missed the live combat demo, Chris, but I've watched the recordings. There isn't much to dislike about what you presented. It's been a while since I played a turn based game but I was totally addicted to Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale etc. during the time of their initial release so I can see me being absorbed by Ealdorlight. :)

....I'm in medieval mode at the moment as far as games are concerned. :angel:

:shifty: That should read Skyrim mode to be strictly accurate. :oops:

HowSerendipitous wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:59 pm
I had a thought (ouch!). Have you tried creating a post on Imgur?

I've seen a few games trying to get notice had success putting up gifs and the like into the user-submitted section. For example, I found EVERSPACE that way.

Linkee!
Yes, do gameplay and content dumps to UserSub!

Post a topic in /r/roguelikes/ This is a Roguelike, you should try and spread to the right crowd. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

chrismdp wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:59 am
HowSerendipitous wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:59 pm
I had a thought (ouch!). Have you tried creating a post on Imgur?
Good shout :) please check it out!

http://imgur.com/gallery/b8nrp
Perfect, you have my upvote :twisted:
chrismdp wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:10 am
Silverware wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:23 pm
Post a topic in /r/roguelikes/ This is a Roguelike, you should try and spread to the right crowd. :D
Again, a good idea, but I'm not sure it's Roguelike enough (perhaps more of a Roguelikelike?) Self-posting is such a delicate line between meaningful content awareness and spam...
Well, worst comes to the worst nobody is interested. You've not lost anything. What about the Bay12 forum? I think a few of the folks here lurk there too?

Online Now