Return to “Games”

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda

@Flatfingers
Spoiler:      SHOW
I agree with you on your points, including that the difference between exploration and discovery is fine. I think discovery is something that evokes more feeling in the player, which is something that I think ME:A fails to do. So, I guess you could say that discovery is exploration, but not all exploration is discovery, if that makes sense?

As far as lessons learned, this is where I get into what I hate about the Mass Effect fanbase at large, they are irrational, intimidating, and reactionary. I think Bioware is actually scared of them from the reaction they got to ME3 and now to ME:A. What I would like to see out of the next entry is them doing the development in secret to insulate the team. Have as much development as possible done in one studio and have major bonuses for no leaks (if one person leaks, everyone loses a substantial bonus). I wouldn't reveal the game until six months before release. I don't think most Mass Effect fans really know what they want from the series and I think most can't identify what made them like the first ones or what made them good games, which leads Bioware to making games about "exploration". Normally I think this is a bad idea, but I would actually ignore what my fans are calling for, because most of them have no clue. I would develop a remaster of the originals to satiate the audience and to provide some cover for starting development of the next entry. I would really study what the ME2 crew did in streamlining the game. Get rid of the inventory and crafting stuff. Cut back on planetary exploration. Focus on your story and characters and make a game about them, not the environment around them. Also, abandon the idea that your game has to be some grand commentary on humanity,
just make a good game and let your audience take from it what they will.

@Zanteogo, thanks for posting that video. Mass Effect hasn't been quite the same since EA bought BioWare partway through the development of Mass Effect 2. The influence of EA on Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 was far less than in ME3 and Andromeda, and that's why the first two are generally considered to be the best games by fans of the series. This guy pretty much hits the nail on the head in assigning a lot of blame to EA and generally gets everything right except for one thing: he says the game isn't terrible and it could be fixed with a few changes. Unfortunately, the game is terrible and it would take a complete deconstruction to fix it. After playing through every other Mass Effect game around 10 times, I was barely able to get through this one once, and it felt like a job doing so.

Well, now that Visceral Games is gone (the guys that made Dead Space), I'm expecting Bioware won't follow along too far behind, as we've clearly seen a massive drop in the quality of their games. I know they've said "It's not all of us, it's just that one studio up in Montreal", but I'm not convinced, because that came about because of pressure from EA. EA will likely apply the same pressure to the rest of Bioware.

I'm expecting that Anthem won't do as well as many people seem to think it will. I'm expecting there will be a lot of microtransactions, pay-to-win, and other purchases that, while they may make EA a lot of money, will ultimately ruin Bioware's reputation among gamers, and the game that follows along behind it will do very poorly, partly due to politics within EA and Bioware, EA-mandated changes in how Bioware operates, and the simple fact that their reputation has gone downhill. After that, I rather expect it to be shut down, as EA realizes it isn't a cash cow anymore. EA has been the graveyard for over a dozen game companies, and I doubt they'll stop with Visceral.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Will Limit Theory have loot boxes?

I could imagine something like:
"Lootbox level 5": use 5000 LT$ to unlock for EPIC gear, or try out opening it for 1000LT$ (25% chance to open)
BEWARE!: lootbox will shut down in 5 hours, 34 minutes.
Extend time by 12 hours ? just 250 LT$ !

No LT$ ? :
get 4000 LT$ (Basic) for just $2.99
or 20000 LT$ (Gold) for just $12.99 (best value)

if your friend <SeriosGzz2005> buys the Gold LT$ package, you will get 1000 LT$ FOR FREE!
(This offer is limited until Monday)

0111narwhalz wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:06 pm
Victor Tombs wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:24 pm
I'm hoping MorrowJosh will have "lootboxes" but I'll settle for derelict ships/stations for any looting opportunities in LT. :angel:
ahh… When times were simpler "lootbox" meant "box of loot" and that alone. :ghost:
Did I ever tell you how much I appreciate simplicity in all things, 0111narwhalz? Josh is not the only one here who considers the art of simplicity to be of paramount importance. ;) :angel:

The traditional "Lootbox" is best.
Even if its an item that drops with a random selection of items in it, that you have to open either through gameplay, or at a specific place. rather than with money.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now