Return to “Suggestions”

beginner in programming

what would be the best programming language to learn first? currently I'm learning from a book called "Sam's teach yourself beginning programming" the book has 24 hours of lessons each (should) take and hour less or more. the language that I'm currently being taught at least the basics of is JavaScript.

also what language is limit theory written in? (list them all)
Re: beginner in programming

My understanding is that the game engine (which isn't moddable) is written in C and C++. The rest of LT is written in LuaJIT and can be modded using scripts. I myself have very limited knowledge of C programming and have only taken one college class in it thus far.

I'd also be interested in learning how to code in LuaJit as well as any sites or free games which encourage use of the language.

I found PHP a good starting language at the time, and would suggest Javascript now.

These both provide weak typing, and quick and easy feedback on what you are doing, you can typically reload the webpage and see the results instantly.

But the advice is to pick a language that you can do something that interests you in immediately.
(Basically avoid C to start with)

If you have a reason to use it, you will learn quicker, and try harder.
Once you know any language, learning a new one is quicker and easier. As they are all based on the same roots.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

So, as someone who is interested in modding LT, should I learn Lua first and then worry about converting it to LuaJIT later on? Or is Lua different enough from LuaJIT that I should just try learning LuaJIT? I ask primarily because I know of a few games that use Lua for modding, though I don't know of any (other than LT) that use LuaJIT.

Dinosawer wrote:LuaJIT is Lua. JIT just refers to how your code is executed on the computer, which has no influence on the actual programming language.
So, you could learn Lua, which is supposedly fairly simple.
Otherwise, Python is also very beginner-friendly.
Okay, thanks Dino! I think I will look into Lua then since Python seems to be outside of the Limit Theory modding picture.

BFett wrote:I myself have very limited knowledge of C programming and have only taken one college class in it thus far.

I'd also be interested in learning how to code in LuaJit as well as any sites or free games which encourage use of the language.
Hey, you ever heard about the book "C in 21 days"?
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Cha0zz wrote:
JanB1 wrote:
BFett wrote:I myself have very limited knowledge of C programming and have only taken one college class in it thus far.

Hey, you ever heard about the book "C in 21 days"?
That looks interesting :think:
It is. I think it's a good book. :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Learn a scripting language if you just want to get things done (JavaScript, PHP, Ruby, Python ...) -> this plus an available game engine = suggested, Unity3D for example

Learn a "real" language if you want to architect larger commercial software projects (C,C++,Java...)

Lean Basic if you want to lean how many people in the past learned programming.

Learn assembly language if you are nerdy and want to laugh at everyone else. (bonus points for writing your own assembler that assembles itself)

Damocles wrote: Learn a "real" language if you want to architect larger commercial software projects (C,C++,Java...)
dont encourage people to use java for large projects.
i ran across a couple of those projects on the consumer side (in a professional environment)
it all ran like crap and not something one should be able to sell to people who want to get shit done.

Well: Java server side in corporate systems is a no brainer. Its likely the most used enviroment.
On the consumer side: Android.. people forget, but most apps are pure Java here too. (running on its own VM)

The advantage of Java, compared to C++ is here, that it is quicker in finding and fixing issues, as the VM offers a stable sandbox and good exception handling.
Most performance issues are more likely bad systems architecture (mindlessly sticking together third-party packages, and abusing OOP) by programmers on a tight schedule.

Its not so much a good choice for PC-client gaming, but if you want to find a job as a programmer in the corporate environment (server back-end or app developer) its a good time investment.
(notable exception: Minecraft was done in Java)
Last edited by Damocles on Tue May 30, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damocles wrote: (notable exception: Minecraft was done in Java)
well, java is a big red blinking light how not to develop games, as it runs generally crap as well (especially compared to pure C/++ cousins which do the same)
Damocles wrote: Android.. people forget, but most apps are pure Java here too.
i know, but things running a bit slow on my phone is much more bearable than software which had fluidly running equivalents a decade ago on PC crawling along like its working memory is a tape recorder in tibetian hinterlands.

Online Now