Return to “Scripting & Modding”

REKT in LT

My search-fu is bad, so forgive me if someone else has said this already.

While reading the planned LT features, I was suddenly thinking of modding LT to be a DND RPG facilitator, for gifted people like Tal to use for creating RPGs. It would be pretty cool to be able to make a turn based version of LT with a fully customizable system layout and AI modifier in order to simulate some missions. I don't know how deep it could go, but anywhere from the game just being a fancy rendering engine, and the GM having to do everything (like REKT now, but you know in LT) right through to there being some extensive setup for the GM (AI, system layout, special events etc.) and then the whole thing running itself.
A life well lived only happens once.
Seems deep until you think about it.
Re: REKT in LT

It might be possible to simulate some of the ship based parts of the REKT missions in LT though it won't be easy. The infantry parts would be next to impossible to duplicate in LT. A game such as Star Wars Battlefront II (the old one) would probably be a better platform for such a mod since character models and ships are already in the game.

vector67 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 8:55 am
My search-fu is bad, so forgive me if someone else has said this already.

While reading the planned LT features, I was suddenly thinking of modding LT to be a DND RPG facilitator, for gifted people like Tal to use for creating RPGs. It would be pretty cool to be able to make a turn based version of LT with a fully customizable system layout and AI modifier in order to simulate some missions. I don't know how deep it could go, but anywhere from the game just being a fancy rendering engine, and the GM having to do everything (like REKT now, but you know in LT) right through to there being some extensive setup for the GM (AI, system layout, special events etc.) and then the whole thing running itself.
The issue here is twofold:
The first part, and the one that is universal for most 'we can mod REKT into this!' suggestions is that mods and games are extremely restrictive compared to forum RP, additionally if it were not to be restrictive, each possible event would have to be programmed in, so either it's an infinite amount of work or it's restrictive.
The second part of the issue is that the games aren't built to do things like REKT does. It's like trying to write an essay using paint.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

I don't think REKT will be possible in LT, but something similar may be possible if it was given its own game. It would be complicated with a great many options to choose from. The only way I can see it working is in a first-person perspective with switching between characters and frequent pausing for actions to help manage the chaos - somewhat similar to how Mass Effect 1 did things where you could pause, but still re-orient the camera while paused. It would need to have an excellent AI in place as well, so that your "allies" would continue doing the actions you'd assigned them, and be able to think for themselves if/when necessary. This would make it a mixture of a tactical game and a shooter. Timing would be interesting, but still possible.

This is if we want it to be as close as possible to REKT gameplay. The only other option is to make it a Destiny-like game, where it's online-only and you have a squad of other players - quite like Bioware's Anthem trailer at E3. I don't think I like that idea very much, though. Multiplayer should of course be possible, but I don't think anyone wants to be forced into it... and we have enemy AI to think of as well, so why not just make it two-sided, right?

It would be a very complicated system that I think only AAA studios could pull off. :\

Of course, if you didn't care about the gameplay or the atmosphere, you could simply make it into an XCOM clone. It won't work in LT though. You could have LT be REKT-themed, but that's as far as you could really get.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now