Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Thursday, May 25, 2017

Flatfingers wrote:Is it worth giving them some time with Freelancer if they haven't already had that pleasure?
Talvieno wrote: Completely agree with this. They need to play Freelancer if they haven't. It's practically a job requirement.
Where would one pickup a copy of freelancer now days?

BFett wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:Is it worth giving them some time with Freelancer if they haven't already had that pleasure?
Talvieno wrote: Completely agree with this. They need to play Freelancer if they haven't. It's practically a job requirement.
I'm sort of curious about this as well.

I lent my copy to my brother years ago, and it doesn't look like I'm getting it back anytime soon. :(

Great news again Josh! Looking forward to seeing progress - having people to bounce ideas off will make the world of difference.
Flatfingers wrote:
BFett wrote:
I'm sort of curious about this as well.

I lent my copy to my brother years ago, and it doesn't look like I'm getting it back anytime soon. :(
Ahem.

We don't condone piracy here. Despite that being the only way to get ahold of Freelancer at the moment, I won't encourage pirating it either. Links to these types of sites are also against the rules. As such, please don't upload your files. People can find what they're looking for perfectly well on their own, if they feel so inclined. We'll not turn this into a piracy hub.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote: It'll be a lot easier to praise them after we see something from them, you know. For now, we can at least praise you for making an excellent decision regarding the project. :D
Praise for the MoshJeister :monkey: :ghost:

Well done Josh, I believe this is the best decision ever for LT. (Second, of course, to the wonderful Josh for bringing us all together with breathing life into Limit Theory 8-) )
Welcome Adam and Sean to the wonderful world of LT
:D :clap: :wave: :thumbup:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Talvieno wrote:Despite that being the only way to get ahold of Freelancer at the moment, I won't encourage pirating it either.
It's actually possible to get a hard copy on amazon. Besides, JanB1, I'm sure the game has some copy protection, and removing this protection is an expensive crime in Germany. Just saying :monkey:

kostuek wrote:
Talvieno wrote:Despite that being the only way to get ahold of Freelancer at the moment, I won't encourage pirating it either.
It's actually possible to get a hard copy on Amazon. Besides, JanB1, I'm sure the game has some copy protection, and removing this protection is an expensive crime in Germany. Just saying :monkey:
Good thing I'm not from Germany. And I dunno if there's a copy protection. But I don't think so. Old games were DRM free (mostly). :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

JanB1 wrote: Good thing I'm not from Germany. And I dunno if there's a copy protection. But I don't think so. Old games were DRM free (mostly). :D
Since I'm a bored human being, I did a quick research. Freelancer would ask you for the original CD in your disc drive, which was probably the first version of DRM for games. :D

kostuek wrote:
JanB1 wrote: Good thing I'm not from Germany. And I dunno if there's a copy protection. But I don't think so. Old games were DRM free (mostly). :D
Since I'm a bored human being, I did a quick research. Freelancer would ask you for the original CD in your disc drive, which was probably the first version of DRM for games. :D
WRONG! :V
The earliest DRM was even more fun!

The DRM for SimEarth for example, had you look up specific numbers and values from the manual.
While now they are all mapped out and available in a text document, at the time you would have to own a copy of the manual to be able to play. :3
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
kostuek wrote:
WRONG! :V
The earliest DRM was even more fun!

The DRM for SimEarth for example, had you look up specific numbers and values from the manual.
While now they are all mapped out and available in a text document, at the time you would have to own a copy of the manual to be able to play. :3
There were even crazier DRMs. There was a game that had a disk with different numbers and characters and another, overlapping disk that had cutouts. During the installation, you had to turn the disk with the cutouts to a specific location and then you had to put in the numbers and characters you could see in a clockwise manner, starting from a specific point. That was one of the crazier DRMs I saw so far. :D

And about the "disk in drive", that's pretty easy. Copy all the stuff from the cd and make an image file from it. Mount it in a virtual drive and voila: ready to go. ^^
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Online Now