Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Friday, May 5, 2017

IFF spoofing could add significant complexity.
IFF units should (be abstracted to) have certain forms. These can be developed by factions. They have significant R&D cost, so some factions would rather buy them from another faction. Other factions will sell them because there is demand. In this way, a new industry and commodity is created, promoting variety in the economy.
Protocols have an attribute which describes the effort required to detect spoofed IFFs using said protocol. Detection equipment has a counterattribute which describes its efficacy in despoofing. Equipment (or crew) carries bonuses for specific protocols or types of protocols. Those of the faction which developed the protocol have the greatest bonus, while those of their clients have varying bonuses (possibly based on the quality of their contract). Connection to a database also improves the despoof bonus of certain protocols.

N810 wrote:Or have it be Highly Illegal, and give the local authorities ways of detecting faked IFF, but make it slow, kinda like the cops running your plates after you get pulled over for a traffic ticket.
What is "illegal" what is "local authorities"

One side's security force is another side's suppressing army.

one side calls them "pirates" one side calls them "ecomomic disruption force".

How to define whats illegal to whom and where?

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
N810 wrote:Or have it be Highly Illegal, and give the local authorities ways of detecting faked IFF, but make it slow, kinda like the cops running your plates after you get pulled over for a traffic ticket.

Hmm...because the "police" is part of a local force that is an affiliated with the galactic police that has its headquarters in the main governmental system? :think:

And they define legal and illegal and who is a pirate and who is not. :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Cornflakes_91 wrote:where do they get their equipment from?
What if they pissed off every faction in the region or get wiped?
why would anyone tolerate them in their systems in the first place?
Where do criminals today get their equipment from?
What if criminals pissed off everyone? Why don't they get wiped and removed from our system?
Why would anyone tolerate criminals in their cities in the first place?

:ghost:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

JanB1 wrote:
What if criminals pissed off everyone? Why don't they get wiped and removed from our system?

Not crimimals, the magic omnipresent police force.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
JanB1 wrote:

Not crimimals, the magic omnipresent police force.
Well, ask the same questions them but put in "police" instead of "criminals". ^^
Nothing to see here

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
JanB1 wrote: Well, ask the same questions them but put in "police" instead of "criminals". ^^
They steal their equipment and hide in asteroid belts?
Soo... they become pirates and try to enforce some arbitary law while pirating?
Nuuu! THat's not what I meant! You know what I mean! :|
Nothing to see here

Ah, g'dmn it!

Okay. So. You brought up the following arguments in relation to so-called "local authorities", often known as "the police", that would be present in the sectors, right?
Cornflakes_91 wrote:

...to which I replied with:
JanB1 wrote: Hmm...because the "police" is part of a local force that is an affiliated with the galactic police that has its headquarters in the main governmental system? :think:

And they define legal and illegal and who is a pirate and who is not. :D
...to which you then (I suppose) replied:
And I assumed you were talking about the criminals and where they get their equipment from.

But in hindsight, I don't quite know what you ACTUALLY were referring to with this. What did you want to say here? :eh:
Nothing to see here

Cornflakes_91 wrote:i was talking about an actual omnipresent police force.
because theres even less sense in a universally organised outlaw force that maintains local offices :ghost:
So far I didn't play any space game that had an open world gameplay that DIDN'T have some form of a universal police force.
Nothing to see here

Online Now