Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Small things that would be nice to have

Would be nice if equipment which is based on a breakthrew/new tech would have fancier effects than the "usual" representative.

Say railguns are a common occurence around the area and their effects look baseline/meh. Not from being the common weapon around but per graphics design.

And then someone develops gauss cannons/plasma cannons/mcguffin throwers with the first few generations having awesome stats (because new tech with untapped potential) and also with especially fancy effects before slowly "degenerating" to normal/meh effect levels.

Purely audiovisual, no mechanical differencrs

in space flight games theres usually some form of aimpoint with the predicted position of the target.

but its always a point, regardless of target size and form.

what if the aimpoint wasnt a point but an area corresponding to the respective projective area of the target?
(Assuming thats doable cheaply)

so a big, rectangular ship would also have a big, rectangular aimarea.

Could be useful or at least interesting: Area of possible positions [time to hit] later. For craft with low agility, this is roughly equivalent to the aimpoint. But for high-agility vessels (like fighters), it could be a significantly different shape representing the possible position given convolutions of trajectory. It'll also make it quite clear that you need faster muzzle velocities for hitting faster targets, since they could be anywhere by the time your round would hit.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:in space flight games theres usually some form of aimpoint with the predicted position of the target.

but its always a point, regardless of target size and form.

what if the aimpoint wasnt a point but an area corresponding to the respective projective area of the target?
(Assuming thats doable cheaply)

so a big, rectangular ship would also have a big, rectangular aimarea.
Rendering the same model twice. Once to screen, once in predicted location to another rendertarget, which you then apply shaders to, and re-render back to the main screen.

Should be fairly cheap.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote: Rendering the same model twice. Once to screen, once in predicted location to another rendertarget, which you then apply shaders to, and re-render back to the main screen.

Should be fairly cheap.
except the actual area to hit isnt just the model again :V
at least, not in the same orientation

as i can hit the front or the side areas by just varying my targetting a little bit.
with the other ship just flying tangential to my view

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Silverware wrote: Rendering the same model twice. Once to screen, once in predicted location to another rendertarget, which you then apply shaders to, and re-render back to the main screen.

Should be fairly cheap.

as i can hit the front or the side areas by just varying my targetting a little bit.
I didn't quite get that...
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Cornflakes_91 wrote:

Should be fairly cheap.

No the hit area is the size and shape of the ship in its final location/rotation when your round arrives.
Firing outside of that is unlikely to actually hit.

This is relative to your own movement too. Especially with slow rounds. (Like star wars lasers)
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Silverware wrote: No the hit area is the size and shape of the ship in its final location/rotation when your round arrives.
when my round arrives where?

a ships dimensions arent 0, and flight time isnt 0.
Silverware wrote:Firing outside of that is unlikely to actually hit.
its not representative of the actual effective cross section.
Silverware wrote:Especially with slow rounds. (Like star wars lasers)
that a target ship could "overtake" and take to the front side.

i dont disagree that it would be good as a first order approximation, but it wouldnt cover all the cases.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Silverware wrote: No the hit area is the size and shape of the ship in its final location/rotation when your round arrives.
when my round arrives where?

a ships dimensions arent 0, and flight time isnt 0.
Silverware wrote:Firing outside of that is unlikely to actually hit.
its not representative of the actual effective cross section.
Silverware wrote:Especially with slow rounds. (Like star wars lasers)
that a target ship could "overtake" and take to the front side.

i dont disagree that it would be good as a first order approximation, but it wouldnt cover all the cases.

From what I am reading, all of your arguments here are based on a bad estimation of the target's location...
Unless you have some fancy ass-concept you are currently failing to explain?
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Silverware wrote: From what I am reading, all of your arguments here are based on a bad estimation of the target's location...
no, not from the lack of precision.
all im saying that depending on the bullet speed and target speed and geometry the effective cross section would be larger than just placing a copy of the object as target marker.
because you can hit the front (the area that is in movement direction) area of the target even if you are to the side of the target.
making the projection incomplete.

a complete target area would be a transform that projects all the potentially hittable area onto the sphere of the targettable area.
front, sides, all

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Silverware wrote: From what I am reading, all of your arguments here are based on a bad estimation of the target's location...
no, not from the lack of precision.
all im saying that depending on the bullet speed and target speed and geometry the effective cross section would be larger than just placing a copy of the object as target marker.
because you can hit the front (the area that is in movement direction) area of the target even if you are to the side of the target.
making the projection incomplete.

a complete target area would be a transform that projects all the potentially hittable area onto the sphere of the targettable area.
front, sides, all
Oh I see what you are saying now.
Including volume into the equation. Not something that is easily achieved.

Will depend upon the speed of the shots if that is an issue or not.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Silverware wrote: Including volume into the equation. Not something that is easily achieved.

Will depend upon the speed of the shots if that is an issue or not.
well, one could map the lead points for all (very highly LOD'd) vertices and then render their connecting polygons as the total targetting area.
would provide the "full" set of targettable area, although overdefined.

as an addition we could also mark subsystems on the aimmap and trivialise aiming at subsystems with that.
you dont have to select the turret, you just aim at it on the mapping.

Online Now