Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Tuesday, May 16, 2017

kostuek wrote:
S46 wrote:Awesome! LT will speed up massively now! Yes!
I don't know. Team management is a whole different topic and you need some experience in it. Especially if the team is not well paid but just works because of fun. We will see how it goes.
Lum wrote:When someone knocks at your door and offers his/her help for the sake of it, I don't believe that motivation should be a problem.
He got a point there Lum, at least with the management. It slows things down, but speeds up other things (of course). But team management is hard.
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

JanB1 wrote:
DWMagus wrote:
Silverware wrote: No! Seriously! Image
...I think someone else's avatar might be changed in the near future. :mrgreen:
Make it happen Magus! Please! :lol:
It may be only for a few glorious minutes, but it has been done. :mrgreen:

P.S. No goats were harmed in the making of this funtime activity. :D
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Talvieno wrote:What has been done? Did I miss something? Oooh, funtime? I like funtime. :squirrel: So, who's the unlucky target?
You are a killjoy. You could have it last at least for a few hours. C'mon! :mrgreen:
Silverware wrote:New Talvatar! Image
Heh. I don't see the image. Is it the same as in your signature? If it is, then I have to say: Looks pretty neat! :lol:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Dinosawer wrote:
Could you kindly not make your sig 255 px high on a smaller screen
Yeah that wasn't intentional, sorry.

JanB1 wrote:
Talvieno wrote:What has been done? Did I miss something? Oooh, funtime? I like funtime. :squirrel: So, who's the unlucky target?
You are a killjoy. You could have it last at least for a few hours. C'mon! :mrgreen:
Heh. I don't see the image. Is it the same as in your signature? If it is, then I have to say: Looks pretty neat! :lol:
And yes, forgot I had copied the port alteration I have to make for access through the proxy at work :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
JanB1 wrote:
Silverware wrote:New Avatar! Image
And yes, forgot I had copied the port alteration I have to make for access through the proxy at work :V
Why do I have to do everything myself? :problem: :ghost:
Nothing to see here

anomaly47 wrote:Josh!

You're not alone. I am a Lead User Experience Designer at Riot Games (League of Legends). I have been a designer for 16 years. When and if you need some design support or even someone to bounce ideas off of or get feedback with regard to in game UI or experience, I would be happy to assist you, absolutely free of charge.

PM me if you'd like.

I've been paying attention to / watching LT for years.

-- Tyler Schuett
Thank you sincerely Tyler, it's an honor to have you show up! :) You guys do incredible work, to say the least.
kostuek wrote:
S46 wrote:Awesome! LT will speed up massively now! Yes!
I don't know. Team management is a whole different topic and you need some experience in it. Especially if the team is not well paid but just works because of fun. We will see how it goes.
It is indeed. These individuals were chosen, in part, because they require relatively little management, comparatively speaking. And while I won't discuss details, they aren't doing it just for fun. But yes, we will see how it goes. So far it's off to a great start; I'm hoping the acceleration curve will continue. More in the soon-to-come devblog (tomorrow perhaps?)
will86c wrote:Just please please please make sure IF you bring in the intern and/or other developer you cover your bases legally as far as who owns the code/methods/intellectual property and what their compensation may be. I would hate to see someone try and take a chunk of the ownership away or slap some kind of crazy DMCA suit on you and mess up the game. Get everything in writing and have it notarized.
Yep, covered :)
Grumblesaur wrote:Dammit! Here I am hunting for jobs and Josh had an internship position?

:ghost:

Sounds like a bright guy you hired, Josh. Good luck to the both of you. (I hope you're paying him well!)

EDIT: Oh, and get him to make a forum account and contribute to your devlogs! We want to hear from him too!
Get on over here to Baton Rouge and we'll stuff you in the office too! I'm sure we can find a free square foot or so around here somewhere... :ghost: And yes, I think at least one of them will want to write a dev blog at some point, perhaps both! I think you guys will be happy to meet them and vice-versa.
Flatfingers wrote:
JanB1 wrote:with delegation comes another, really important part: inspection! Inspect what they did, maybe correct the processes, their way to do things, give some input, and check that it works out in the end. Because if you trust them blindly, it will come back on you in the future (maybe, maybe not).
This cannot be overstated.

Don't think of it as a trust issue; think of it as necessary continuous course correction to reach a destination.

Also, there are lots of techniques for maintaining effective progress in a multi-coder shop. If you've already got to-do tasks described, put them on the wall and ask your new teammates to work from that list. As long as the granularity is low enough, this is an excellent way to make continuous progress (and to visually track that progress) without much damage if one task slips or needs to be re-coded. It also has the important benefit of insuring that you keep in regular contact with the other programmers -- that way they don't spend a week going down a rabbit hole. (Please note I'm not implying they'd do this on purpose; it's more that gifted programmers tend to want to explore interesting details rather than cranking out practical necessities. ;) )

Best of luck to all!
Thank you JanB1 for the advice. I'm all ears when it comes to management tips. So far we seem to be striking a pretty good balance of autonomous work -> feedback -> GOTO 10

We're also getting pretty on top of task management, and have some industrial-strength stuff in place now for plotting out milestones etc. LT is definitely more organized than it's ever been. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I should leave things to talk about in the next dev log!

PS ~ It's always fascinating for me to see in what direction any given devlog thread will be derailed, whether it be hardcore design of detection/targeting mechanisms or...goats :ghost: :lol:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Online Now