Return to “Suggestions”

Non symmetrical ship design

Suggestion, spaceship asymmetry? Yes.

I understand there will be a ship editor and we can probably make things just how we want, however asymmetric ships add a lot of character to a space game; so if some are in the game already when it ships it could provide a nice artistic boost.

Semi-related interesting link for aspiring spaceship designers of all kinds:
http://androidarts.com/spaceships/spaceship_design.htm
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed
Non symmetrical ship design

First of all: I hate creating new topics for asking something that I'm pretty sure it was commented more than one time. But after some researching in the forum's dungeons and finding nothing... there you go :oops:

So far we've seen pretty impresive ship designs (I mean, the ships in the las couple of dev videologs were fantastic!) but I wonder if the variety in design will be limited to this kind of symmetrical forms for all ships. Can we expect something asymmetrical, maybe something not longitudinal but vertical (some EVE designs coming to my mind now)? Can we expect ship modules with complete barrel-like forms or are these modules only for stations? are we getting antennae and other external typical stuff?

:thumbup:
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.
Re: Non symmetrical ship design

Ya, there probly is a thread that these posts could snuggle into and necro-bump.

More recent updates have showcased improvements in the algorithm, but in case you missed it I'll point you to this dev log, relevant quotation below:
JoshParnell wrote:Oh! And I've been working on the ship algorithm a bit over the past few days. Nothing too serious yet - when it gets serious it's going to get real serious. But for the time being I'm collecting my ideas and starting to play around with a few new approaches that I've gathered over the months. I'm making progress - both conceptually and in implementation. But the day of reckoning has yet to arrive. As I said a while back, the ship and station algorithms will probably be some of the last things that I write, just because I need to level up as many times as possible before then :D It's like the final boss fight :cool:
The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny has yet to go down. When it does, you know I'm going to be cheering myself hoarse and prancing around like a mad march hare!
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

I recall Josh mentioning a symmetry toggle for the ship designer. I don't know if it was implemented in the dev video for it (which was ages ago, around the time of the kickstarter), but I'm fairly certain he mentioned it.

As for the PCG ships found throughout the world, I'd say it's certainly possible. Ship generation in general, however, is still in its embryonic stages, for Josh believes (and is correct in believing) that the A.I. flying the ship takes priority over what the ship looks like. Though of course, given Josh's expertise in graphics programming, the ships will look better, be more varied, and quite possibly be asymmetric.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Grumblesaur wrote:I recall Josh mentioning a symmetry toggle for the ship designer. I don't know if it was implemented in the dev video for it (which was ages ago, around the time of the kickstarter), but I'm fairly certain he mentioned it.
I did not know this. But I'm definitely leaving it in the "ON" position though. I love me some symmetrical ships. :)
How about a mix between symmetry and asymmetry for the different classes of ships? Just like how X:TC had some of their ships done.
In Josh we trust.

Online Now