Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Thursday, April 13, 2017

Handy hint: When reading board game rules (or some such similar scenario) to a mixed-gender group, it's really easy to substitute they/them/their for he/him/his and she/her/hers on the fly while you're reading.
Grumblesaur wrote:Such usage dates back to Middle English in the 1300s.
I bet JanB1 cut class that day.

Sure it seemed like a good idea at the time. Probably used the black death as an excuse. But now? Nothing but pronoun confusion and regret. Stay in school, kids; or one day, hundreds of years later, you'll be sorry...

Employee 2-4601 wrote:

Sure it seemed like a good idea at the time. Probably used the black death as an excuse. But now? Nothing but pronoun confusion and regret. Stay in school, kids; or one day, hundreds of years later, you'll be sorry...
Well, let's put it this way: Non-native English speaker learns English nearly all by self-study because English taught in school isn't really helpful. So yeah, cut me some slack and bare with me here, I can only get better. I'm on a nearly B2 English level already, and they taught something like A1 in school (can't really get any worse than that).
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

JanB1 wrote:
Employee 2-4601 wrote:

Well, let's put it this way: Non-native English speaker learns English nearly all by self-study because English taught in school isn't really helpful. So yeah, cut me some slack and bare with me here, I can only get better. I'm on a nearly B2 English level already, and they taught something like A1 in school (can't really get any worse than that).
Careful, your English typing skills might surpass my own; and I speak English fluently!

JanB1 wrote:So yeah, cut me some slack and bare with me here, I can only get better.
Just to be perfectly clear, my intentionally ludicrous comment was not intended to be critical in any way; just (hopefully) vaguely entertaining. (Personally I'm unable to converse in anything other than my native language, and have nothing but admiration for those who are skilled in more than one of the things.)

I at one point was minimally competent with latin? Not so much anymore. I tried to figure out how to say "you all are the best" and came up with "estis optima" but I'm pretty sure that is horrifyingly wrong and features redundant grammar, so who knows.
Libertas per Technica

What's surprising to me as a 'can order a beer in a few languages' kind of guy, is that you can tell someone is not a native english speaker on forums because of the correct spelling and grammar.

My own brand of English, when spoken would highly confuse non regional speakers from my own country.

Get on this laah
Goodness, look at that

Eez du'in me ed in
I'm finding that individual somewhat bothersome

Eez gorra gob likhe da mirsey tunnel
That fellow is quite loud

Not sure if any of the series is still available but there was a set of books entitled 'Lern yerself scouse' that gave further example of local banter.

Online Now