Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Procedurally Generated Medieval Cities

Talvieno wrote:Dwarf Fortress has done that for a while. :) (five or six years)

Some ways down the page at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_2011.html
Different process Talvieno :v
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Talvieno wrote:Not at all.
Flatfingers wrote:Like the subject line says, this is some nice work on how to procedurally (really more pseudo-randomly, but whatevs) generate medieval cities.
Procedural medieval cities, as was mentioned in both the title and first post. :)
Reddit OP wrote:I start with a Voronoi diagram. "Seeds" are placed spirally with random fluctuations to ensure resulting regions to be relatively evenly spread.
The first (central region) is assigned plaza, the next N regions are city wards within city walls, then comes a citadel. The rest of them are farms, plains and woods.
To make these regions look a bit less like a Voronoi diagram and create proper crossroads I merge close vertices.
I find a border of the the city wards, this polygon will be drawn as city walls. I smooth it to get a rounder shape.
Some vertices of the city walls will be city gates. Each gate is connected to the closest corner of the plaza by a wider street. Then the street is extended beyond city limits.
The last step is creating an inner structure of each ward. In most cases I just cut a ward into smaller pieces with or without gaps between them (with different parameters).
Or as the OP on Reddit states... :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Talvieno wrote:Well, this isn't Reddit. This is the LT forum, and as far as what was stated here, DF has completely accomplished it.
Just say "Shush and leave me alone. Dwarf Fortress did it before it was cool. Period." next time. :ghost:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Dinosawer wrote:It's a nice application of Voronoi diagrams. I like Voronoi diagrams.
(I have to, as I'm the official Voronoi diagram guy of our dev team :ghost: )
Could you explain these Voronoi diagrams to my friend? He doesn't quite get it, and I'm not really good at explaining...
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Online Now