Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Re: Limit Theory: Mass Predictions Brainstorming

Kekasi wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
What's your opinion of multiplayer physics dino? And how to make sure desynced physics doesn't negatively affect players?
Erm, wrong kind of physics I'm afraid (a.k.a. not actually physics but network tech) :oops:
But, I know e.g FPS fix this by adapting trajectories so that things hit the things you thought they would hit, even if lag meant they actually wouldn't.
N810 wrote:If I recall correctly, Multiplayer was a stretch goal that didn't quite get funded. :problem:

Ps. I wonder if local multiplayer would be easier to mod... (second PC on local network)
No, when the kickstarter ended Josh lowered the non-reached stretch goals so they'd be reached and added some new non-reached goals as a joke (including multiplayer, walking on ships and walking on planets) :P
JanB1 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote: Sockets so I can make an in game irc client on the other hand... :ghost:
Hmm...sounds interesting. It's like a lifeline to the real world. So people can remind you that you should stop your 48h session of playing LT. :P
Mostly so I don't have to alt tab to IRC and thus never have to stop playing :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Silverware wrote:
N810 wrote: Ps. I wonder if local multiplayer would be easier to mod... (second PC on local network)
No, it wouldn't actually.
Yes, actually. Because you dont have nearly as harsh restrictions on bandwith and latency on LAN as you have over the internet.
Removing a lot of the optimisation passes that tend to take the longest time

Dinosawer wrote:
N810 wrote:If I recall correctly, Multiplayer was a stretch goal that didn't quite get funded. :problem:
No, when the kickstarter ended Josh lowered the non-reached stretch goals so they'd be reached and added some new non-reached goals as a joke (including multiplayer, walking on ships and walking on planets) :P
That...that totally sounds like a thing Josh would do, just for the lolz. :lol:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Kekasi wrote:
Talvieno wrote: Josh most certainly never planned multiplayer. Multiplayer is not planned for LT 1.0 or post release. Josh is being careful not to prevent it from being possible, however... but it will take a lot of work.
Without a doubt. That's why we have modding teams!
Would you like to join the team Talv? :ghost:
I think I'll have to pass on this one. :lol: I don't think I really have the time to dedicate to it. (Not to mention the fact that my joining up would make it "official".)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote: I think I'll have to pass on this one. :lol: I don't think I really have the time to dedicate to it. (Not to mention the fact that my joining up would make it "official".)
If a lone Valtieno joins up, I'll make sure to be nice to him. :ghost:

On a more official note, can you answer if death animations will be dealt with in LTC or LTL?
Trying to come up with lag compensation and delaying a player's death to allow them some parting shots would help with lag.
Would like to delay the death animation or explosion to show this "critical state"
An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. - Oscar Wilde

We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Talvieno wrote:He was talking about "parting shots", which typically doesn't go well with "exploding".
Was thinking about having a ship start to glow and have mini explosions before it completely dies. That way if it's a close fight, lag won't be the winner.

Don't know where the death code will be, but I hope it's in the modifiable code.
An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. - Oscar Wilde

We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Now