Return to “General”

Re: Asteroid Popping Example

Voxel raymarching makes instancing essentially free, so in this case his performance is most strongly tied to #pixels shaded rather than #asteroids.

Unfortunately, not applicable to LT for several reasons. But basically, we can't do this and get asteroids to look as they do in LT (and maintain acceptable performance) :( Not yet at least. I hope someday.

Cool video though :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

??

If Saturns rings spin/orbit @23.6 Kilometers per second....

R = (60300 km + 7,000 km) / 60300 km = 1.12, so V = 23.6 km/sec
R = 140300 km/60300 km = 2.33, so V = 16.3 km/sec.

(The International Space Station orbits Earth at a speed of 7.7 km/s.)

What if we enter a system with a Saturn like rings?...Would we have to match the rings velocity? Or are the rings in LT stationary?

Would be awesome to come upon a trillion asteroid ring system and watch them flying by @20 KM per second! *ZOOM*

We'd have to engage thrusters to catch up to their orbit!? Doing my mining at speed..then to exit the ring system I need to slow down?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohmann_transfer_orbit

I just think it'd be a AWESOME visual to see this escalator system of orbiting rocks whizzing by!

I know this is beyond the scope of LT and I'm not throwing this at the feet of Josh(maybe in 10 years he'll take up the challenge).

Would it be possible to create a kind of fog effect that gradually shows distant asteroids that are just inside the popping field of view? This would hide the asteroid as it pops into the scene and then smoothly add it to the scene as the player approaches.

This may be the best temporary fix till a better one is developed. Thoughts?

BFett wrote:Would it be possible to create a kind of fog effect that gradually shows distant asteroids that are just inside the popping field of view? This would hide the asteroid as it pops into the scene and then smoothly add it to the scene as the player approaches.

This may be the best temporary fix till a better one is developed. Thoughts?

Avorion does this really well. travelling 100 m/s in foggy/dusty nebula's I've almost run into asteroid(s). ( Avorion doesn't have pop in.. most entities are already loaded for each system. ) ....But the groundwork for Avorion 2(fog and lots of it!) has been established and they could probably have infinite asteroid systems in the next release?

I'd rather have dusty nebula's with millions of hidden asteroids...then clean asteroid 'poppin' ones.

So i'd concentrate on making dusty nebula's ...treacherous to navigate. Just out of sight....

JoshParnell wrote:Voxel raymarching makes instancing essentially free, so in this case his performance is most strongly tied to #pixels shaded rather than #asteroids.

Unfortunately, not applicable to LT for several reasons. But basically, we can't do this and get asteroids to look as they do in LT (and maintain acceptable performance) :( Not yet at least. I hope someday.

aw... :(
*sadface*

so this trick only works because all the rocks are in a fixed grid where one can march through cheaply?

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:Voxel raymarching makes instancing essentially free, so in this case his performance is most strongly tied to #pixels shaded rather than #asteroids.

aw... :(
*sadface*

so this trick only works because all the rocks are in a fixed grid where one can march through cheaply?
Well, we tried. :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Online Now