Return to “General”

Re: Asteroid Popping Example

Cornflakes_91 wrote:hey it seems like tsunamayo has found a way for his game to load 'roids without popping, and lots of them as well :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl0imz2Cnvs

maybe someone could go pester him for details :monkey:
Impressive! :o

I sent him a message about it. Let's wait and see...
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

It's very nice visually.

1. He does mention that he's doing this with "voxel raymarching." Am I remembering incorrectly that Josh has sounded hesitant about going down the voxel path? There might be some usable concepts, but I don't know whether the tech itself would translate to LT. Josh would be the ultimate arbiter of that, of course.

2. Is whoever made the video using a console controller instead of mouse + keyboard? Rotation seems so jerky, compared to the smoothness of mouselook, but I don't know whether this is due to unoptimized game code or a controller's imprecision.

Flatfingers wrote: 2. Is whoever made the video using a console controller instead of mouse + keyboard? Rotation seems so jerky, compared to the smoothness of mouselook, but I don't know whether this is due to unoptimized game code or a controller's imprecision.
that is normal mouselook, in every game.

he doesnt focus on specific points, thats why its not smooth, theres nothing to smooth out.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:hey it seems like tsunamayo has found a way for his game to load 'roids without popping, and lots of them as well :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl0imz2Cnvs

maybe someone could go pester him for details :monkey:
Heh yes I did PM Josh about it. :V
The technical details might be useful for Josh.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Flatfingers wrote: 2. Is whoever made the video using a console controller instead of mouse + keyboard? Rotation seems so jerky, compared to the smoothness of mouselook, but I don't know whether this is due to unoptimized game code or a controller's imprecision.
that is normal mouselook, in every game.

he doesnt focus on specific points, thats why its not smooth, theres nothing to smooth out.
The game is early alpha at best, I have testing access and it feels normal in game, the movement seemed normal in the video as well.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

I've watched Josh tear around many a asteroid field @3,000 + m/s! ..Travelling 3KM a second is probably gonna cause some pop in. :D

Space games are still using HUMAN VISION. Objects big or small should be hard to see! When I'm driving my car at night...It's hard for me to see anything!

You'd think everything would be pitch black until you're right on top of it.

Navigating a dense asteroid field should be an adventure. "Hard to port!!!" *just misses a 8,000 ton iron asteroid*

Games should be able to hide the 'pop in' because the human piloting the ship has two feeble eyes and probably couldn't make out much of anything in deep dark cold space.

So you dont want to see anything in the game until you are basically colliding with it?
Sounds a bit boring :P
Why have graphics in the first place?

Also in space its generally "day" as nothing major is between you and the local sun :P

And most importantly: the popping is a solvable problem, at much higher relative speeds than josh's 3kms. As proven by the video i linked

Online Now