Oh so suddenly, "SLIDERS!
WE CAN MAKE THE THINGS WIDER!"
And the thread ne'er went back there again
ta TA ta ta TA ta ta TA
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta ta TA
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Re: Nebula Zen

Talvieno wrote:
Talvieno wrote:Oh, you want a bad limerick? Coming right up

A thread that's called Nebula Zen
Had just formed some quite deep debates when
Oh so suddenly, "SLIDERS!
WE CAN MAKE THE THINGS WIDER!"
And the thread ne'er went back there again
ta TA ta ta TA ta ta TA
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta
That...that was beautiful. I got tears in my eyes!
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Dinosawer wrote:They're not English terms :ghost:
Of course they're English terms, they're just loanwords. (and so of course they're also German, Dutch presumably, Greek etc terms. Only one of these has the honour of being the originator of those terms.)

For example, schadenfreude is an English term, because it's a term that's used in English, even though it's a loanword from German.

Lum wrote:I still can't believe that schadenfreude can be used in English. But there you go... :ghost:
Haha if it's in Oxford it's good enough to be considered an English word even for dirty prescriptivists like me. Doesn't mean it isn't a loanword, but as you say, there you go :P

Scytale wrote:
Lum wrote:I still can't believe that schadenfreude can be used in English. But there you go... :ghost:
Haha if it's in Oxford it's good enough to be considered an English word even for dirty prescriptivists like me. Doesn't mean it isn't a loanword, but as you say, there you go :P
I like the word schadenfreude. :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

JanB1 wrote:
Scytale wrote:
I like the word schadenfreude. :D
WHO DOESN'T

I'm not sure I want to know how it's pronounced in English :P
Scytale wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:They're not English terms :ghost:
Of course they're English terms, they're just loanwords. (and so of course they're also German, Dutch presumably, Greek etc terms. Only one of these has the honour of being the originator of those terms.)
For example, schadenfreude is an English term, because it's a term that's used in English, even though it's a loanword from German.
Okay mister literal, they're not terms specific to English literature :ghost:

(and they're originally greek)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:I'm not sure I want to know how it's pronounced in English :P
SHAH-dinn-froy-duh

Okay mister literal, they're not terms specific to English literature :ghost:

(and they're originally greek)
Good man!

And hey, I only dish out what I take :P

Scytale wrote:
JanB1 wrote: I like the word schadenfreude. :D
WHO DOESN'T
Well...true. :mrgreen:

Scytale wrote:
SHAH-dinn-froy-duh
SHAH-dinn-froy-duh...WHAT?!
Wait a second, let me...

*rumbling through old boxes*

Here, take that.

English
German
Nothing to see here

JanB1 wrote:I refuse to accept this fact. And because I don't accept it, it can therefore not be true (I think this is seriously how some people go through life). :angel:
I venture to say it would be difficult to find someone of whom this isn't true for at least one deeply-held belief. It's just a human thing.

(We should probably not go looking for examples; forums tend to get unpleasant when skepticisms fight moral certainties.)

Also: NEBULA ZEN!

Flatfingers wrote:
JanB1 wrote:I refuse to accept this fact. And because I don't accept it, it can therefore not be true (I think this is seriously how some people go through life). :angel:
I venture to say it would be difficult to find someone of whom this isn't true for at least one deeply-held belief. It's just a human thing.

(We should probably not go looking for examples; forums tend to get unpleasant when skepticisms fight moral certainties.)

Also: NEBULA ZEN!
Yeah, okay. That might be true. There are beliefs that you tend to let go from easier, and stuff that you kinda defend really hard, because they are part of your personality, of yourself, and how you define yourself. But I think there are more and more people that go through their life with so much ignorance, that you can't even discuss with them about some very basic stuff because they'll deny everything that collides with their view of the world.

Also:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Nothing to see here

JanB1 wrote:
Scytale wrote:
JanB1 wrote: I like the word schadenfreude. :D
WHO DOESN'T
Well...true. :mrgreen:

Scytale wrote:
SHAH-dinn-froy-duh
SHAH-dinn-froy-duh...WHAT?!
Wait a second, let me...

*rumbling through old boxes*

Here, take that.

English
German
Right, that's what I said :P SHAH-dinn-froy-duh is the English pronunciation~

Scytale wrote: Right, that's what I said :P SHAH-dinn-froy-duh is the English pronunciation~
Pffssh. Yeah, yeah. As if someone would have been able to get that from THAT pronunciation writing.
Nothing to see here

Online Now